Help please

Old July 1st 09, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Default Help please

I don't think there is anything I can do but I thought I would ask.
I am working on woodland enchantress which is 14x16. I stitch everywhere.
First one corner than the other.

Saturday was a beautiful day I sat and stitched for 4 hours in my garden.
1000 stitches. Last night I found a mistake I made ages ago. I went over 3
instead of 2. So that whole part is over 1 too many.
Can I split over2 into 11/2 split a thread so everything would match except
for 1 space? Would you be able to tell? Is there anything I can try
besides ripping out everything. I did that on magical nights after corners
didn't match.
What would you do? What could you do? It throws a lot off?
Thanks
Donna

Old July 1st 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Donna D. wrote:
I don't think there is anything I can do but I thought I would ask.
I am working on woodland enchantress which is 14x16. I stitch everywhere.
First one corner than the other.

Saturday was a beautiful day I sat and stitched for 4 hours in my garden.
1000 stitches. Last night I found a mistake I made ages ago. I went over 3
instead of 2. So that whole part is over 1 too many.
Can I split over2 into 11/2 split a thread so everything would match except
for 1 space? Would you be able to tell? Is there anything I can try
besides ripping out everything. I did that on magical nights after corners
didn't match.
What would you do? What could you do? It throws a lot off?
Thanks
Donna

It will depend (sorry, for not being more precise). I did a piece quite
a few years ago, where I did the same thing. I had to fudge around the
section, and today when I look at the framed piece on the wall, I
actually have to search for the mistake.

I would see if there is a section along side where it is mostly one
colour and do over-one stitching to compensate.

Alternatively, can you stitch overtop of the error? This will only work
if the colour underneath is a lighter colour.

MargW
Old July 6th 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

If you can wait till the end, then it would be easier to figure
out what method to use to fix and hide the error.

If it is very noticeable, then you could fix it with one of the
special stitches since it is not seen it makes it a little hard to
judge which is best.

1) There is the long-legged cross stitch [also called long-armed
Slav or Portuguese stitch] to adjust the area affected since it
also is used to join 2 pieces together when the material is
short and you don't want it to be noticeable easily.

2) Vertical Double cross stitch [Smyrna or Leviathan stitch], a
normal cross stitch done after a longer vertical cross stitch.

Else a standard double cross stitch where you reverse which
is longer above, such as completing a longer cross stitch
first and then the shorter vertical stitch.

3) One of the various Rhodes stitch, except none the have a bar
for a final stitch.

For all of them, you could use the main colours from the stitch
area missed and the area next to it while completing one of the
three given stitch types. This way the blend is not as hard to
hide when done.

Note for readers not having problem, these are just a start for
stitches to try to help fix the problem and not all final adjustments
possible. If really bad, more than one method may be required to
fix it. If after everything, removing some stitches at the start might
be the only method that actually fixes and hides the problem.

Old July 6th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

Last night I found a mistake I made ages ago. I went over 3
instead of 2. So that whole part is over 1 too many.

Frog it. You can have it frogged and re-stitched while you are still
trying to decide what to do.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old July 6th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

When you are finished you can figure out the best way to hide the
error, but I think you should hide it rather than remove it! Every
piece of needlework should have at least one mistake in it, and that
is so you won't be turned into a spider like poor Arachne, a mortal
maiden in Greek mythology. She did completely perfect needlework, and
that infuriated one of the goddesses, since no mere mortal was
permitted perfection. The goddess, whose name I forget, then killed
Arachne as punishment, but Zeus took pity on Arachne. He couldn't
bring her back to life as a mortal woman, but turned her into a spider
so she could continue to spin and weave -- which is why spider webs
are works of art and why spiders are known as arachnids.
Old July 6th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Mary" wrote .
When you are finished you can figure out the best way to hide the
error, but I think you should hide it rather than remove it! Every
piece of needlework should have at least one mistake in it, and that
is so you won't be turned into a spider like poor Arachne, a mortal
maiden in Greek mythology. She did completely perfect needlework, and
that infuriated one of the goddesses, since no mere mortal was
permitted perfection.

A small note (waaay too many hours in Latin, Greek and Classics classes
here). Arachne's error was not perfection; it was conceit. She boasted
that she was better than Minerva. When a weaving contest was set up, she
used the opportunity to depict the gods as liars, cheats and adulterers in
her tapestry (they were, but thowing it in their faces was not the best
move). So, it was not perfect work (the gods tend to like that, especially
when it is dedicated to them), but thinking herself better than them that
led to her spidery fate. So, all of the people on this group who do perfect
work can breathe easy (although I suspect some of you would appreciate the
extra 6 arms.)

Dawne

Old July 6th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

If it was 1 row I would but its the top of the chart which means 210 rows
are off. 100 stitches from the edge. I would have to rip 50 rows 1000 give
or take stitches out. because its off 1/2 space. I want to hide it somehow
so it matches evenly. I ripped half a project because the material was off I
don't want to do the same with this one.This time it was me before I bought
magnifier glasses to check every stitch.
It took me 4 hours and that was when everything was good and going smooth.
It would take me days to restitch it.
Thanks
Donna

Old July 6th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am trying to hide the problem by not having
it run right down the middle of the project. Enough colors are used so I am
trying to stitch till a color changes then stitch 2 spaces into one. It
worked a few rows but its really a large problem. I hate making mistakes
like this. I check every stitch with a magnifier now.
This is why it takes me years to finish a project. Ripping out over 50 rows
and 1000 stitches isn't something I want to do. I cant believe its n the
first row. That sucks.

Thanks
Donna

Old July 23rd 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 5:17*am, "Donna D." wrote:
(snip) Last night I found a mistake I made ages ago. I went over 3
instead of 2. So that whole part is over 1 too many.
Can I split over2 into 11/2 split a thread so everything would match except
for 1 space? Would you *be able to tell? Is there anything *I can try
besides ripping out everything.

Hello Donna,

The legendary designer Gerda Bengtsson used half stitches that are
both cross arms but stitched over a space of 1 x 2 threads. See a
picture in any of her books published in many languages.

These would be better than stitching over one as they match the
texture of 2x2 cross stitch and they take the amount of room that you
have available.

To make you feel better--I started a kit when I had a bad ankle
accident in 2007--doctors orders were to keep my leg up as much as
possible and they kept me in a rehab hospital for several weeks.
Lying while stitching meant I made multiple counting errors (always
whole stitches, tho)--fixed them by fudging the general effect.

I felt it was a total mess when I finished it and my recovery. I also
found some errors made in translating the original watercolour to
chart (not MY errors) that are more glaring.

A year later I took it out and it looks good enough even though I am
planning to re-stitch as the artist intended.

So don;t give up on the messy work.

Irene