Inspirational poetry for a girl's quilt....

Old July 25th 05, 10:14 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default Inspirational poetry for a girl's quilt....

Hello folks,
I was copying out "It's okay to sit on your quilt" on the back of
baby Ferrie's quilt today ... (he/she is still waiting to arrive)...
and I realized that I have two quilts in the works for my brother
Craig's daughters. One top is for Hannah and is blue and yellow
9-patches with blue sashing and borders (she's 8), and one is
jellybean colours of lime, yellow, pink and lavender and has a
matching busy print for the back and binding for Emma (she's 6).
I'd like to put poems on the back of their quilts, but I need
something for girls, not babies. I'd like something that says how
glad I am to be their Auntie, even though I've never met them in
person. I'd like an expression of how many great things lie ahead of
them, how wonderful it is to be a girl. Something inspirational and
positive, that will stay with them even after the quilt size and
designs seem a bit childish. Any ideas?
What poem would you send or like to read to a girl this age? This
is my favourite brother, and even though I've never met his children,
he has always wanted to be a dad, and he is a *great* dad. I'd like
his children to have something special from their Auntie Jo in
Scotland.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 25th 05, 10:24 PM
Georg

Johanna Gibson wrote:
What poem would you send or like to read to a girl this age? This
is my favourite brother, and even though I've never met his children,
he has always wanted to be a dad, and he is a *great* dad. I'd like
his children to have something special from their Auntie Jo in
Scotland.

There are two poems by Shel Silverstein that come to mind. One is Hug
O'War..
I will not play at tug-o-war-
I'd rather play at Hug-o-war....
(insert bits I mismember)
Where everyone cuddles and rolls on the rug.
Where everyone kisses and everyone grins,
and everyone smiles and everyone wins.

And my favorite:

Listen to the Mustn'ts, child.
Listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts,
the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen very carefully,
then listen well to me-
Anything can happen, child.
Anything can be.

Sure, it's not about being a Girl and how much you love them, but I feel
it's an important message to get across. Never let them steal your joy.

-georg
Old July 25th 05, 10:48 PM
Donna

Hi Johanna,
I always liked the lyrics from Lee Ann Womack's song "I Hope You Dance"
Don't know if you could use something like this on your quilt or maybe part
of it!!
http://www.countrygoldusa.com/i_hope_you_dance.asp

--
Donna in NE La.

Old July 26th 05, 12:38 PM
smudge in oz

Hi Jo
Found this :

I dream my dream
and dream so real
the walls are just stars
the stars how I feel

I can feel my own self
so strong and so clear
my imagination runs wild
and burns up my fear

I can be truly great
with my dreams in my hands
then throw them like stardust
and watch where they land

as I slide into base
with the moon at my wings
I know that it's true
I CAN BE MY DREAM

Apparently on the back of a T-shirt marketed by New Moon Publishing.
This is where I found it.
http://www.newmooncatalog.com/store/...tem=5&mitem=20

Smudge in Oz

Old July 26th 05, 02:15 PM

Jo
I have used these words for some of my grandchildrens quilts
Author Unknown

"Dance as if no one is watching.
Love as though you're never been hurt.
Sing as if no one can hear you.
And live as if heaven is on earth.

I am sure whatever you write the children will love it...because Auntie
Jo made it for them

--Mona Lisa

Old July 26th 05, 07:51 PM
Carey N.

In case anyone is interested, found at:
http://www.lyrics-mp3s.com/lyr/34254...he_Heart.html#

Come From The Heart (song lyrics)
(by Susanna Clark/Richard Leigh, sung by Kathy Mattea)

My daddy told me when I was a young girl
A lesson he learned, it was a long time ago
If you want to have someone to hold onto
You're gonna have to learn to let go

You got to sing like you don't need the money
Love like you'll never get hurt
You got to dance like nobody's watchin'
It's gotta come from the heart
If you want it to work

Now here is the one thing I keep forgettin'
When everything is falling apart
In life as in love, you know I need to remember
There's such a thing as trying too hard

You got to sing like you don't need the money
Love like you'll never get hurt
You got to dance like nobody's watchin'
It's gotta come from the heart
If you want it to work

You got to sing sometimes like you don't need the money
Love sometimes like you'll never get hurt
You got to dance, dance, dance like nobody's watchin'

Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
Gifting a "used" quilt? KI Graham Quilting 13 September 6th 04 07:18 PM
I went to a quilt show last Sunday--long Debra Quilting 6 March 26th 04 02:54 AM