The first time..

Old April 12th 04, 12:48 AM
Carol In WI

Default The first time..

It has been the first time that I haven't had to color eggs. Both kids are
moved out and now I won't have tons of eggs to make egg salad sandwiches
with. Carol In WI

Old April 12th 04, 02:05 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "Carol In WI"
writes:

It has been the first time that I haven't had to color eggs. Both kids are
moved out and now I won't have tons of eggs to make egg salad sandwiches

I had just run out of HB eggs (a permanent fixture in my fridge for quick
meals), so I did half a dozen yesterday. XH swore he could never remember
which eggs were cooked and which were raw, so to assist him, I started putting
a few drops of color in the water year-round, just enough to lightly tint them
for his benefit, and to help me prioritize (the yellow ones are the old batch,
the pink ones are the new batch). So yesterday I put more than a few drops in,
and got a nice turquoise, deeper than 996 but not quite 995.

DBF got half (looked lovely in a white basket with an iridescent blue ribbon
that almost matched the eggs), and I just had the two cracked ones as deviled
eggs, which means it's already time to make more!
--
Finished 3/17/04 -- Elmo
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old April 12th 04, 03:29 AM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:48:22 GMT, "Carol In WI"
wrote:

now I won't have tons of eggs to make egg salad sandwiches
with

awwwwwwwwwwww but egg salad for a month after is fun!!!

Seriously, though, how long can boiled, unpeeled eggs last in the
fridge and still be safe to eat? How about if the shell cracked while
boiling?

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Old April 12th 04, 04:56 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Jenn Liace
writes:

Seriously, though, how long can boiled, unpeeled eggs last in the
fridge and still be safe to eat? How about if the shell cracked while
boiling?

I'm going to give you information completely contrary to what you'll hear from
the professionals. I have found hardboiled eggs in the back of the fridge at
least 6 weeks after cooking and they didn't kill me.

When I'm putting them in the bowl, I put the cracked ones on top, and make sure
to use them first. Again, the experts will tell you to use them 5 minutes ago
to avoid contamination. I'll tell you that I've eaten the last of an
all-cracked batch about a week after cooking without ill effects.

Of course, I'm of the generation where Easter eggs were left on the dining room
table for several days at room temperature, turkey was left on the counter till
bedtime at room temperature, and other crimes the current wisdom says should
have decimated the family.

Old April 12th 04, 09:59 PM
d frost

I always put my HB eggs in a separate bowl so DH knows that they are the HB
ones. I never thought to use color--great idea.

Debbie
12 days to Dallas!!

Old April 12th 04, 10:18 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

You can spin the eggs on your countertop to determine if they are HB or
not. A raw egg will spin slowing and wobbly. A HB egg will spin quite
fast and smoothly, like a top. This is the method I learned as a child
and in 40 years I have never mistaken a raw egg for a HB egg. But I do
like the food coloring idea for tracking the age of a HB egg.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Old April 12th 04, 11:00 PM
Xstitchla1

I guess i should unlurk first. My name is Barbara, I live in a suburb of Los
Angeles. I have been cross stitching for about 20 years. I am a student
again, trying to get an A+ cerificate in fixing computers, a N+ for networking
computers and eventually an MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer).

A simple experiment will tell if an egg is hard boiled or not. If an egg will
spin it is hard boiled a fresh egg will not spin.

From a lurker with lots of bits of trivia memorized.
Old April 12th 04, 11:01 PM
Karen C - California

In article m, Anne
Tuchscherer writes:

You can spin the eggs on your countertop to determine if they are HB or
not.

This assumes you remember the formula. XH couldn't. As a result, more than
once, he attempted to fry a HB egg. The first time he did it, I couldn't
resist tweaking him that I know Texans deep-fry everything, but fried HB eggs
seemed a bit excessive, even for someone raised on Texas cooking.

I just don't understand the problem he had. If they're in a bowl, they're
cooked. If they're in a carton, they're raw. I'm one of those organized
people with a system for everything, but he could never figure out my system.
(I hate to call him "stupid", because he had a near-straight-A average in grad
school. I guess learning my systems was just not something he wanted to devote
brain power to.)

Old April 13th 04, 05:13 AM
Ruth409028

I always put my HB eggs in a separate bowl so DH knows that they are the HB
ones. I never thought to use color--great idea.

Then you could always teach him the "spin" trick. Only HB eggs will spin when
you stand them on end and give them a twirl. Frances
Take Jacques out before replying.

OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
They're getting slicker all the time at phishing Su/Cutworks Beads 5 November 22nd 04 07:40 AM
OT ~ It's a real eruption this time! Mj Beads 9 October 6th 04 04:15 AM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM
Almost time for BABE Christina Peterson Beads 14 November 7th 03 07:23 AM