When a President dies

Old January 21st 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carol In WI

Default When a President dies

How long do you fly the flag at half mast? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

Old January 21st 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:29:26 -0600, "Carol In WI"
wrote:

How long do you fly the flag at half mast? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

Flags will return to full staff display on the 25th, I believe.

Per US Code the flag flies at half staff for 30 days commencing on the
day of the death of a former or sitting President. By extension any
other flags displayed with the Stars and Stripes must also be flown at
a height equivalent to half staff for those flags.

The flag of the State of Texas is, to my knowledge, the only state
flag that may be flown at the same height as the US flag. This is
something that was negotiated when Texas joined the Union. Texas is
also the only state that can legally secede from the Union, again
according to terms negotiated when Texas joined the Union.
Old January 21st 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Lark

wrote:

How long do you fly the flag at half mast? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

Flags will return to full staff display on the 25th, I believe.

Per US Code the flag flies at half staff for 30 days commencing on the
day of the death of a former or sitting President. ....

How long when an *elected* President dies, I wonder? (haha)

Old January 21st 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

WoolyGooly wrote in
:

Texas is also the only state that can
legally secede from the Union, again according to terms
negotiated when Texas joined the Union.

not true. NH is also legally allowed to secede, as is Vermont,
i think. i'm not sure about VT.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old January 22nd 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:29:24 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

WoolyGooly wrote in
:

Texas is also the only state that can
legally secede from the Union, again according to terms
negotiated when Texas joined the Union.

not true. NH is also legally allowed to secede, as is Vermont,
i think. i'm not sure about VT.
lee

Cool, I did not know that. I only know it about Texas because my son
had to learn it for Social Studies earlier this year. Being the
Damned Yankee that I am I didn't pay much attention to other state's
history when I myself was in school
Old January 22nd 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Lark spun a FINE 'yarn':

wrote:

How long do you fly the flag at half mast? Thanks a bunch, Carol
In WI

Flags will return to full staff display on the 25th, I believe.

Per US Code the flag flies at half staff for 30 days commencing on
the day of the death of a former or sitting President. ....

How long when an elected President dies, I wonder? (haha)

If it's *this* one, there'd be NO half-mast at MY house, GRIN
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old January 23rd 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

WoolyGooly ha escrito:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:29:24 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

WoolyGooly wrote in
:

Texas is also the only state that can
legally secede from the Union, again according to terms
negotiated when Texas joined the Union.

not true. NH is also legally allowed to secede, as is Vermont,
i think. i'm not sure about VT.
lee

Cool, I did not know that. I only know it about Texas because my son
had to learn it for Social Studies earlier this year. Being the
Damned Yankee that I am I didn't pay much attention to other state's
history when I myself was in school

Y'all have been misinformed!

The Texas flag is not the only state flag that can be flown at the same
height as the Stars and Stripes.
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp The rumor I heard
said that it was because Texas was the only independent nation before
joining the union -- then I heard that California could too because it
was too. Um, what about Hawaii? But any state flag may be flown from
another staff at the same height!

Secession is not mentioned in the treaty. Division into five states,
yes -- but secession, not mentioned.
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp