Carpet Edging Color Match

Old May 14th 05, 06:44 PM
Key Bored

Default Carpet Edging Color Match

Hi All,

I purchased a hand-made oriental wool rug. The color of the wool at the
perimeter of the rug is dark burgundy. The backing of the rug is a light
tan fabric.

The problem is that a portion of the backing is visible even though the edge
of the rug is laying flat. The result is a noticeable contrast between the
dark burgundy wool surface and the light tan backing. I want to change the
color of the exposed edge of the backing to match the dark burgundy color of
the wool.

My first thought was to apply dye, but I'm not experienced and will likely
wind up with an uneven and poor color match.

My next thought was to "paint" the fabric using a small paint brush and a
thinned water-based flat latex paint. With this method, I could mix the
paint to get a good color match.

Are there "magic markers" sold at crafts stores for dyeing fabric?

Any ideas or recommendations would be welcome.

Thanx,
Key Bored

Old May 14th 05, 08:17 PM
BEI Design

Key Bored wrote:
[...]

If it's a valuable rug, I would be very cautious about any attempt to
dye it. If the dye bleeds through it would ruin the rug. Also, any
spill on the rug would likely cause the dye to discolor the floor.

How about sewing a piece dark burgundy fabric to the underside.
Unless it a really large carpet, you could easily sew it by hand to
whatever the edge binding is.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old May 17th 05, 11:55 PM
Arri London

Key Bored wrote:

Hi All,

I purchased a hand-made oriental wool rug. The color of the wool at the
perimeter of the rug is dark burgundy. The backing of the rug is a light
tan fabric.

The problem is that a portion of the backing is visible even though the edge
of the rug is laying flat. The result is a noticeable contrast between the
dark burgundy wool surface and the light tan backing. I want to change the
color of the exposed edge of the backing to match the dark burgundy color of
the wool.

My first thought was to apply dye, but I'm not experienced and will likely
wind up with an uneven and poor color match.

Don't do it.

My next thought was to "paint" the fabric using a small paint brush and a
thinned water-based flat latex paint. With this method, I could mix the
paint to get a good color match.

Don't do that either.

Are there "magic markers" sold at crafts stores for dyeing fabric?

Yes but don't think about using them on such a nice rug.

Any ideas or recommendations would be welcome.

You could either fringe the exposed edge with matching wool or else bind
up the edge by stitching round (going through the backing and out the
front) with matching wool. The 'persian' wools for needlepoint/tapestry
come in hundreds of colours so getting a match shouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise go for one of the other colours in the rug that look good
against your burgundy colour.

Thanx,
Key Bored

Crochet edging pattern needed Elizabeth Naime Yarn 3 August 30th 04 01:54 PM
Baste Canvas for carpet prep Warmhands Sewing 3 June 28th 04 04:09 PM
Simple Knitted Edging marsie Yarn 0 February 14th 04 03:03 AM
OT (very): Carpet fresh and wheezing unclbennie Quilting 4 January 3rd 04 04:16 PM