Iron-on Krenik Threads

Old July 23rd 03, 08:57 AM
Lula

Default Iron-on Krenik Threads

Has anyone here tried these new threads yet?

I recently had an interesting chat with Andrew Kreinik where he told me
about these threads.......iron-on ribbon and iron-on braid.......said
many scrapbookers, quilters and other artists have been using the
threads for added on color, detail and glitter.....all sorts of uses I
can imagine......a real exciting thought for my work!

Will have to get some spools to experiment with as these threads sound
very intriguing and right up my alley this very moment! These threads
will definitely add that extra touch I'm looking for......

I'm planning my first foray into designing my first panel of iron-on
applique......am using all sorts of colorful fabrics, lots of prints for
texture and loads of embellishments to create an
"illustration".......have been collecting fabrics and all sorts of
goodies like buttons, beads, all sorts of interesting odds and ends for
quite a few years now.......then there's the application of using these
threads to create a tetxured collage using all sorts of artistic
techniques and interesting papers.....

So many threads, so many ideas.....and then there's my day job designing
& painting.....only 24 hours in a day and I have to "waste" at least
three or four hours to sleep.....
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures
Old July 23rd 03, 09:45 AM
Brenda Lewis

Lula wrote:
Has anyone here tried these new threads yet?

I haven't seen them yet. Are they widely available?

I recently had an interesting chat with Andrew Kreinik where he told me
about these threads.......iron-on ribbon and iron-on braid.......said
many scrapbookers, quilters and other artists have been using the
threads for added on color, detail and glitter.....all sorts of uses I
can imagine......a real exciting thought for my work!

Will have to get some spools to experiment with as these threads sound
very intriguing and right up my alley this very moment! These threads
will definitely add that extra touch I'm looking for......

Promise to post the results of your experiment. I'm especially curious
about handling of these threads. Are they washable? Can the finished
piece be ironed without causing the thread to shift or loosen? Are they
stiff or itchy if used on a garment?

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 23rd 03, 11:58 AM
Lula

Hello Brenda,

According to Andrew Kreinik, these threads have been in circulation for
awhile and have met with success at the Quilt Market.......not sure how
long but long enough for two additional new colors to be added to the
list of colors as posted in the latest Kreinik trade
newsletter.......the colors are a black and royal blue in the 1/8 ribbon
and #16 braid.......the article says these threads have been popular
among quilters, artists and crafters especially the color black that
will be used to outline stained glass patterns.

The iron-on colors have the letter "I" after the color number.

From my conversation with Andrew.....he did say the threads were
washable but I don't have the answer to your other questions yet.
And yes, I'll post my experiences using these threads.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old July 24th 03, 07:05 AM
Lula

Thanks for this very helpful pointer.....was planning to free machine
embroider over some of the iron-on sections, now will do a little more!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

emerald wrote:

I haven't tried the threads but I have done four quilts with iron-on
applique. I find that you really need to stitch down (or otherwise attach)
the edges, because they do tend to lift, which is OK if that's the look you
want!

hth,
emerald