Software for Pattern Drafting

Old February 16th 04, 03:02 PM
Sami

Default Software for Pattern Drafting

Hi, what software do you use and why? What do you like and dislike
about it. How good is customer support? I am considering
Cochenille's Garment Designer and the two add-ons.

TIA!
Old February 16th 04, 09:43 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Well I had 1 shareware software for drafting patterns, after putting in your
measurements, but it only did the pants, and never got the registered
program. I even forget the name of the program. I have gotten so use to
just getting patterns in the stores, and adjusting them to myself. If you
do get this program, I sure would like to know if you like it or not, I may
even try to get something like this.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns so you don't get pricked, and add a hyphen between the two
words to email me.

Old February 17th 04, 12:25 AM
Valkyrie

Sami wrote in message ...
Hi, what software do you use and why? What do you like and dislike
about it. How good is customer support? I am considering
Cochenille's Garment Designer and the two add-ons.

TIA!

*climbing onto the roof top, throwing my head back, arms outstretched, and
as loud as possible I holler*

WILD GINGER!!!!! WILD GINGER!!!!!! WILD GINGER!!!!!!

I love this program, simple to use (however, it is not a program to TEACH
beginners to sew), things always fit and I have FOUND the support to be
above and beyond what I would have expected. I have Designer Boutique,
[women's wear] and Tailor Made, [men's wear]. There's yet to be anything
that hasn't come out well. A friend of mine has this program and does a lot
of sewing for other people. She made a wedding dress for a 430lb
bride.......other than the fact the program kept asking if she was sure that
was a correct measurement every time she entered one, the finished dress fit
and turned out beautifully!

There's quite a few other Wild Ginger fans on this group so I'm sure you'll
hear even more from them. BTW, I haven't purchased a pattern in over two
years, there has been no need and I used to be at Joann's buying stacks of
them every time they had a sale, and then having to fiddle around to
actually make them fit! The first time I made slacks (and I've never had a
satisfactory purchased pattern so this was the ultimate test for me) I put
them on and they FIT! I was sold right then and there! Accurate measuring
per their instructions is the key to success with this program, everything
else pretty much takes care of itself.

Val

Old February 17th 04, 01:45 AM
Ward

Hello,

This sounds like a really good program. Was it hard to learn or can you
just "pick it up"? Does it have a virtual figure so you can see what your
selection looks like before printing?

Liz

Old February 17th 04, 05:20 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Maine-iac Rose wrote:
Well I had 1 shareware software for drafting patterns, after putting in your
measurements, but it only did the pants, and never got the registered
program. I even forget the name of the program. I have gotten so use to
just getting patterns in the stores, and adjusting them to myself. If you
do get this program, I sure would like to know if you like it or not, I may
even try to get something like this.

I bought a Click and Sew pattern to try out Wild Ginger's pattern
drafting engine, as I liked it the best among all the pattern drafting
software that I looked at, and I am a very happy camper. It's only
about a $20 investment (try www.fittingtips.com because they have a
trade-in proram if you decide to buy the full program) and will give you
a great idea of what the program is like.

I got tired of adjusting patterns, and I don't have to do it any more.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old February 17th 04, 07:33 PM
SewStorm

This sounds like a really good program. Was it hard to learn or can you
just "pick it up"? Does it have a virtual figure so you can see what your
selection looks like before printing?

It is a good program, but it completely depends on you as to whether or not
it's "easy" or difficult to learn. It depends on your comfort level with a
computer, and your knowledge of patternmaking and sewing, in general, as to
whether or not you can make it work for you.

As for the on-screen drawings: I've heard that there are something like 5,000
drawings in the program, but the on-screen picture of the general garment
choices does not change with each incremental line change. For instance, if you
chance the scoop neckline from a default setting of 5" below the neck to a
setting of 3" below the neck, the picture doesn't change. Neither does the
picture of a 2" collar change when you substitute a choice of 4", or when you
change length, etc.

You get a general idea, which is usually enough, unless you happen to be an
extremely literal person, which some of us are.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old February 18th 04, 01:30 AM
Maine-iac Rose

Well I have a few favorite patterns already adjusted to me and DH, so I
don't do that much adjusting, didn't like doing that in the beginning, but
got it done and I still use the patterns. Now I just need to find my stuff
that goes on the back of patterns to save them, so far (knocking on my
head - wood) they have held up thru the years. I have been checking into a
few programs, and will look into the one you mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up

Maine-iac Rose
@---