Are introductions in order?

Old November 21st 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Default Fibromyalgia WAS Are introductions in order?

Dana Compton wrote:
On the intro end of this thread. I am Dana Compton. Tulsa OK area.

We bought the Ralph Blane Estate (Judy Garlands song writer, quite
famous) that had been allowed to fall into almost ruins a couple of
years ago. We are about done with the work (we did most ourselves) and

How cool is that? the "have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" writer.
Do you have pictures of your reno?

Donna in Virginia

Old November 21st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Caryn

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Karen C - California wrote:
This is, in fact, one of several ways to differentiate between a CFS
diagnosis and a depression diagnosis -- someone who's depressed will
feel better with anti-depressants, someone with CFS either will have no
change or feel worse. I definitely felt worse.

Well, a bit of a correction he Someone who is depressed will not
necessarily feel better with anti-depressants. In fact, they may have
to try many different types/classes or combination of meds in order to
feel better, and suffer terribly from side effects in the meantime,
whether or not they "feel better".

Dianne

I'm actually about to agree with Dianne here.

There are a wide range of antidepressants out there. I've tried a few
over the years, started on Elavil, which was ok other then the weight
gain and dry mouth. Got moved to Trazodone, which is used as both an
antidepressant and an antianxiety medication. That has been my basic
standby. At one point I tried both Wellbutrin (I seriously wanted to
crawl out of my skin or hide under the bed in a dark corner on that
one) and Zoloft (that one just had me crying over nothing all the
time).

If my only experience had been with Wellbutrin or Zoloft, I'd probably
believe that "all" antidepressants were crap.

BTW, most current one is Cymbalta, because of additional factors to the
basic depression.

Caryn (who has depression running thru family from Father's line)

Old November 21st 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

Default Are introductions in order?

wrote:
I joined the group in October and have been posting since I discovered
this great group. I see some of you post daily and others come in when
they can. I thought it might be nice for those of us who are newer to
the group to get to know the rest of you. I saw another newbie on the
threads the other day so I don't think I am the only one wondering who
is here and such.

Name:

Liz

I live in:

Applegate, Oregon, USA
(southern Oregon, between Medford & Grants Pass)

How long I have been stitching:

Since college, off & on. My mom's mother crocheted, Mom knitted and
did "liquid embroidery" but we had dishtowels and tablecloths around
that she had stitched in the past. I was too much of a tomboy when I
was younger to really be interested in doing it myself, but liked the
fact that it was around me.

Groups I belong to:
EGA - Southern Oregon Stitchers. It's a WONDERFUL group of ladies & one gentleman who have seen each other through sickness, widowhood and whatever life throws at us (including a certain group correspondence course that had several sweet little old ladies using words that sweet little old ladies shouldn't know!). If I ever get fed up with paying my EGA dues, I won't miss EGA much, but I'll certainly miss the members of this particular group.

More of possible interest:

I try to enter three items in the county fair each year. Not so much
to win, because it is a county fair where the judges don't always know
one type of stitch from another, but to show the public what is
available to stitch these days that they may not be aware of. Also, if
you enter three items, you get one free admission to the fair. :-)

Family:

Great husband of 24 years, three great sisters of my own and a mother
in law who all appreciate receiving stitched items as gifts. If they
take it out when they know you're visiting, it's hard to tell. When
you show up unexpectedly, peek in the window and see it on display, you
KNOW they like it. ;-) Also, a nephew (almost 20), two nieces (almost
18 - cousins, not twins), and another niece and nephew (15 1/2 -
cousins). One of the almost 18 nieces stitches and both nephews have
tried it when they were visiting, so all appreciate the work &
recognize the difference between different types of work.

Pets:
One green iguana (Jeff) - free to a good home (that means a home with
prior experience with an iguana, preferably one who died of old age)
that we inherited from my nephew when the family moved to Hawaii 1 1/2
years ago
One dog (Oddear) - shepherd/gldn Ret./border collie? mix who, when she
was a pup, had one standing up shepherd ear and one flopping over
retriever ear. DH named her. Naturally, by the time she got to
recognize her name, both ears flopped over. Oh well.
Assorted homing pigions (DH used to race)
About 20 chickens - four less than we had a month ago when a bear
stopped for dinner and ate four of the roosters.

Liz from Humbug (live on a road named for a mining dispute)

Old November 21st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Caryn

One dog (Oddear) - shepherd/gldn Ret./border collie? mix who, when she
was a pup, had one standing up shepherd ear and one flopping over
retriever ear. DH named her. Naturally, by the time she got to
recognize her name, both ears flopped over. Oh well.

Liz from Humbug (live on a road named for a mining dispute)

A perfect name for a dog would be "Ohdear" maybe next time......

Caryn

Old November 21st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Okay, I guess I'm overdue in doing this.

wrote:

Name:

Joan Erickson

I live in:

Grand Forks, ND, a lifelong resident but have travelled to many other
places in the US and a bit in Canada.

How long I have been stitching:

I learned stamped embroidery as a child and later learned to crochet
and knit, all from my mother. I hated the cross stitch in stamped
embroidery! When in my early 20s (30 years ago!) a coworker was doing
some ccs and I liked the looks of it, so gave it a try, even though I
was leery about doing the cs. I fell in love! After a few years I
learned about rctn, a whole new world was opened to me, my stash grew
by leaps and bounds and ccs became my passion. I also know how to sew,
do needlepoint and crewel (my least favorite). I recently learned
needle-tatting at CATS in Las Vegas, but haven't practiced it much,
yet, although I think it will be fun if I ever find/take the time from
ccs!

More of possible interest:

2 years ago I designed and had my dad build a cabinet to hold my
stitching supplies. I *love* having them all in one place (they used
to be scattered throughout the house). Which reminds me that I must
get DD's digital camera and take the pics I promised loooong ago. Once
I straighten a couple more shelves!
My webshots member name is ndjoan.

Groups I belong to:

Just rctn....you're enablers enough! Contemplating EGA.

Family:

D (and sometimes not so D!)H, 2 sons (Nate--23 & Bret--21), and 1 DD
(Mandy--19, to whom I've delivered the stitching bug! ) I come from
a family of 5 girls (I'm the youngest girl) and 1 boy. All of us girls
do needlework of one sort or another. Parents are both 85 and are
still healthy and live nearby.

Pets:

Used to have a horse (had to put her down in March) and am hoping to
get another next spring, 1 yellow lab, Jasmine. DD recently got a
beagle pup, Annabelle, and is being frustrated with potty training (her
boyfriend doesn't help with his inconsistency with Annabelle--Annabelle
lives with him since DH didn't want another dog in the house--some of
you may remember that little episode). Past pets have included
hamsters, salamanders, fish, and a bearded dragon (which DS#1 still has
but he no longer lives at home).

I earn the money for stash by working in the cataloging dept of the
university library and have been here since I was a student. I earn
money for framing by donating plasma ($60/wk).

Guess that's about all.

Joan

Old November 21st 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

"Caryn" wrote in message
ups.com...

One dog (Oddear) - shepherd/gldn Ret./border collie? mix who, when she
was a pup, had one standing up shepherd ear and one flopping over
retriever ear. DH named her. Naturally, by the time she got to
recognize her name, both ears flopped over. Oh well.

Liz from Humbug (live on a road named for a mining dispute)

A perfect name for a dog would be "Ohdear" maybe next time......

Caryn

That reminded me of a dog my Brooklyn born mother had when she was a kid,
and remember that was around 1920.

She had a puppy that she and her brother named Gedunder. When I asked where
on earth they got that odd name she told me that it was in honor of her
European born, heavily Jewish accented mother who used to get annoyed when
the dog got under her feet in the kitchen and would chase it under the
stove, yelling "gedunder."

I smile every time I think of that story.

Lucille

Old November 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dana Compton

On Nov 21, 6:59*am, "Donna" wrote:
Dana Compton wrote:
On the intro end of this thread. *I am Dana Compton. Tulsa OK area.
We bought the Ralph Blane Estate (Judy Garlands song writer, quite
famous) that had been allowed to fall into almost ruins a couple of
years ago. We are about done with the work (we did most ourselves) andHow cool is that? the "have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" writer.

Do you have pictures of your reno?

Donna in Virginia

http://hometown.aol.com/spellboundacre/index.html

Here are the before. I have not finished the after pages yet LOL. I
need to.

Dana

Old November 22nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

Cymbalta is a good one. In addition to helping with depression and anxiety,
it also helps with joint and muscle pain, which is another symptom of CFS.

--
Jere
http://community.webshots.com/user/Jere224422

"Caryn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 22nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default OT Pets, was: Are introductions in order?

Lucille wrote:

That reminded me of a dog my Brooklyn born mother had when she was a kid,
and remember that was around 1920.

She had a puppy that she and her brother named Gedunder. When I asked where
on earth they got that odd name she told me that it was in honor of her
European born, heavily Jewish accented mother who used to get annoyed when
the dog got under her feet in the kitchen and would chase it under the
stove, yelling "gedunder."

I smile every time I think of that story.

Lucille

I laid down the law to Jim when we first got serious.........no pets!!!
What happened?? He travelled a lot, and brought home a kitten which he
named Ralph! The cat was cute, but a royal PITA, and became Dammit
Ralph. From then on, in his records at the vet etc, he was listed as
"D.Ralph"! He was a good cat, enjoyed travelling in the RV, became a
diabetic while we full-timed, and eventually went to the big kitty home
in the sky.

Gillian
Old November 22nd 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Thanks. Can't wait to someday see the after shots. Looks like you took
on quite a project. I love watching This Old House and all the other
renovations shows. I'm always amazed at how bad some place once looked
and how money, elbow grease, hard workers and time can create miracles.

Donna in Virginia