Are introductions in order?

Old November 20th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Default Fibromyalgia WAS Are introductions in order?

Jere Williams wrote:
Omigosh, ultram -- it totally freaks me out. I can't take nsaids either --
so doc gave me ultra, -- and the world became liquid, reality wasn't real --
it was just weird. If ultram affected most people like that, it'd be
illegal.

Yet dh takes it, and has no problems at all with it.

Different people have different reactions to drugs. One of my support
group members swears by Aleve. I spent hours counting the time till the
next dosage so that I could safely take something that *would* work.

When I applied for the clinical trial, I expected to be kicked out
because I have weird reactions to everything. Instead, they were very
happy to have me -- "if anyone's going to have a bad reaction, it'll be
you". And, sure enough, I was the only person in the whole trial who
had fainting spells from it, and was the person worst affected by the
mental fog. But I was also one of the few people who was 100% sure
whether I was taking real drug or placebo because the positive effects
were that dramatic.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 11/18/06 -- Christmas Angel (Marbek)

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 20th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mickey

Default Are introductions in order?

wrote:

I joined the group in October and have been posting since I discovered
this great group. I see some of you post daily and others come in when
they can. I thought it might be nice for those of us who are newer to
the group to get to know the rest of you. I saw another newbie on the
threads the other day so I don't think I am the only one wondering who
is here and such.

I will start since this was my bright idea.

Thanks for starting this thread, Alice.

I'm Mickey, 32, married 6 yrs, and DH recently dragged me up to
Edmonton, Alberta (from Mansfield, Massachusetts), where I started grad
school (again) for a PhD in chemistry. One pet bearded dragon who rules
our small condo. Don't all pets?

I've been stitching on and off for since I was 7 or 8. My maternal
grandmother always had a needlepoint piece in process, and my mum
stitches and crochets. I gravitate to cross stitch and blackwork,
though I also knit and crochet, and there are a few surface embroidery
projects in my stash. Prior to starting school this fall, I wasn't
working, so I had a quite a few finishes of previously UFOs - w00t! (And
I still need to get the pictures up on Webshots.)

I've been following RTCN for years, mostly as a lurker. And
unfortunately, school is seriously cutting into my stitching time... ah
well, finals will be over in a month!

--Mickey
Edmonton, AB

reply to: mickey18385 at yahoo dot com
Old November 20th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

I'm having shoulder trouble this weekend. The pain isn't up in the
shoulder joint. It feels like the bones are breaking just below the
joint. Since I woke up with it and know I haven't had an injury it is
just the fibro, but such an annoyance. My medicine tonight was a Harry
& David Moose Munch bar. 300 calories, 190 of them from fat. Yum!

Had a big dinner after church today (bishop was visiting) and they had
tons of food leftover so we bought a huge pan of thick-sliced scalloped
potatoes, about two pounds of sliced ham, and a tub of green beans for
$10. The church kitchen hostess knows her food though--it's all good.
Shouldn't have to cook at all for several days. For this I am VERY
thankful!

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old November 20th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 11/19/06 12:08 PM, " wrote:

Caryn wrote:
Hey Alice!

I'm Caryn, age 44, wife to Dude, mom to three girls 16, 15, and 10.

After doing the stay at home mom thing for 12 years I went back to work
just over a year ago. I used to design, mostly fantasy stuff, but also
some very silly cat pictures (real cats in fake costumes).

We also have two golden retrievers and 5 cats (having had the old man
of the group put down last week).

Caryn

No way... Bex is NOT 10! Nope, not buying it... not at all.... she's
six at most!

LOL - I must arrange visit to Chez Caryn & Clan - to verify this.

Hi Alice,
I'm Tegan, no kids, widowed (I guess, never really sure about
claiming that status, since we were never married, but were together 20
years), and have one aged cat, Chen Li, who'll be 18 in December. I
started stitching when I first saw TW's "The Castle" chart and knew I
wanted to do it. 20 odd years later, I've still not done it, but it
doesn't stop me from starting other things. I lost interest for quite a
while after my SO passed away, and still struggle with maintaining my
commitment to actually stitching something. He was disabled, so was
home all the time, and when I would work on stitching something, he was
almost as fascinated with seeing the design emerge from nothing as I
was. He was quite the cheerleader and for a very long time it was
almost impossible for me to stitch because it seemed like the best part
was missing.

Tegan - seems to me you definitely can claim widowhood - 20 years is a long
time together. And sometimes it's just easier to use a standard kind of
title to describe something like your situation. Can certainly feel for you
missing your cheerleader - DH - who is well - is amazingly my cheerleader
and always intrigued with whatever creative thing is happening. So much so,
that a couple of times in the LNS, he's been helping people - then realized
- "Oh, no - this has sunk in on me" . Just enjoy your stitching for you.

And I'm saving my Castle chart to do when you're ready to start. Isn't
someone on the group going to start with a cyber crew in January, IIRC?

I still can't believe Bex is 10.... gods I'm feeling old....

LOL- I definitely am going to go see the evidence in person next time DH has
to go to the rink in Prince William - we pass within a mile of their place
on our back road route.

With us, we have 1 godchild in college, 1 a senior in high school - with a
personality scarily similar to mine, 1 that graduated BU in May, a niece
that started law school in Sept, a nephew in college (same age as godchild
guy), and a niece in 10th grade. The kids are all convinced that DH & I are
much, much younger than their parents. By the time we're done with them,
they'll think I started university at 10 instead of 15.

ellice

Old November 20th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 11/19/06 12:26 PM, " wrote:

ellice wrote:

Just remember - let me know when you want to start "the Castle" - I know
we're in a similar state with it.

Ellice

On one of my Yahoo groups, we've started an off-shoot list of everyone
who's wanted to start The Castle and put it off for various reasons.
We've decided to start a stitchalong on January 1. You are welcome to
join us.

I may just join you. With projects like this, it seems a good thing to have
a crew to commiserate with. And, I have a great luxuriously framed poster
from the Chateau in Saumur that would go so well with the finished stitchery
piece - in some place or other.

You can see my fabric choice at:
www.tegan2.multiply.com. Well, heck, you can even see me there... LOL

LOL - I did, and commented. If we do the Stitching Post open house on Dec
2, I bet that I can find some lovely piece of fabric for the castle...

ellice

Old November 20th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 11/19/06 11:42 PM, "Brenda Lewis" wrote:

I'm having shoulder trouble this weekend. The pain isn't up in the
shoulder joint. It feels like the bones are breaking just below the
joint. Since I woke up with it and know I haven't had an injury it is
just the fibro, but such an annoyance. My medicine tonight was a Harry
& David Moose Munch bar. 300 calories, 190 of them from fat. Yum!

I'm sorry about the shoulder pain. I'm having the on again-off again thing
with the bone spur in my "good" leg, and the lesion/joint acting up in the
bad one. But, I'm staying at the 2 - 4 tylenol level for now - really
hoping to put off surgery til late spring. Your medicine sounds yummy.

We've had a so not Weight Watchers 2 weeks - and I can tell. Was down a size
- yeah - into normal tops, and still "big" bottoms - but, the fluffy me has
definitely risen a bit. I think Halloween candy did me in. But, have
determined that post the NJ trip for T-giving - will be back on plan.

Had a big dinner after church today (bishop was visiting) and they had
tons of food leftover so we bought a huge pan of thick-sliced scalloped
potatoes, about two pounds of sliced ham, and a tub of green beans for
$10. The church kitchen hostess knows her food though--it's all good.
Shouldn't have to cook at all for several days. For this I am VERY
thankful!

Now I'm really jealous. Sounds yummy - well the potatoes. Not much of a
ham person. DH reffed yesterday morning while I did housestuff (uh huh).
Then came home, we went out to grab lunch/brunch - and being indecisive
finally got somewhere at about 1:30. Then went for a lovely drive through
horse country (Middleburg, Upperville) and up around to come home - via
where we started - and ended up running through Target (I needed a loaf pan,
and some kitchen organizer stuff). Making us almost late for him to go ref
again - back in Arlington (20-25 miles?). For a thrilling double header of
men's A league. Some skilled players, really - balanced with some
incredible idiots. So, I brought my bullet thermos with Chai Tea (home
made) and sat on the balcony or in the stands (at Capitals new practice
facility) and knitted socks! En route home - at 11 pm - thinking - dinner
would be nice - only thing open as we pass the diner locations - Wendy's or
McD's. So, Wendy's grilled chicken for us. So, you just made me jealous for
nice comfort food. The alternative - our standard of cereal for dinner just
didn't resonate.

ellice

Old November 21st 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

wrote:
I joined the group in October and have been posting since I discovered
this great group. I see some of you post daily and others come in when
they can. I thought it might be nice for those of us who are newer to
the group to get to know the rest of you. I saw another newbie on the
threads the other day so I don't think I am the only one wondering who
is here and such.

I will start since this was my bright idea.

Name:
Alice

I live in:
Salt Lake City, Utah

How long I have been stitching:
Well when living in Turkey I had my DM send me some needlepoint kits
since I had read every book in the library that I wanted to read. (I
was with my USArmy husband and one of the few women there.) When we
got back Stateside I tried a class in quilting but lasted until I made
a new friend who did Danish Cross Stitch. That was 26 years ago. Been
stitching ever since.

Groups I belong to:
EGA - I live in the Rocky Mountain Region
Swan Sampler Stitchers (home nest is in Salt Lake City but, members
from all over the world.)

More of possible interest:
I have done some designing for EGA and Swans as well as for myself. I
have entered items in our State Fair for about four years. The first
entry was one of my designs based on a view of the Pacific Ocean just
south of Monterey, CA and I won First place. I have entered ever since
with my lowest showing a Forth place.

Family: Great husband and two sons ages 25 and 23 and a soon to be
daughter-in-law (as of December 29).

Hope to get to know all of you.
Alice

Well,since I have sat on my hands for a while, I will break down and
post. I am Gillian aka Gill and live in Central Florida for now. This
morning a spiffy "For Sale" sign hangs in our front yard. Where will we
move to, who knows??? I am 70, and DH, Jim, is 67. We have a big RV, and
can live in that comfortably for long periods of time ( 5 months this
summer, used to live fulltime for 4 years in a smaller one).

Anyway, I joined this group probably 9 or 10 years ago. Folks have come
and gone, but I have made somelife-long friends here. I have sewn or
knitted since I was four, and have enjoyed cross-stitch since it first
took on in the mid 1970s. Between us we have 11 grandkids, and they all
have their birth samplers.

Because we are moving I am having to go through my stash, and get rid of
some of it........how sad! It was fun acquiring it, though!!

Oops. forgot family. This is a second marriage. I have a daughter in
MD(44) with a DH and three kids 10,12,16. My son is in Japan, aged 42
and married a Japanese lady a year ago. Named Akayo, like Bobbie V's
daughter in law ( I met her over there, and loved her). In fact they are
at the same Base. First marriage for each and I don't look for grandkids
there.

DH's kids..........well the lest said the better. However there are 8
little kids there,so we do remember them , as grandparents should.

Gillian/Gill
Old November 21st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

kagjws wrote:
Wow -- a lot of military families (as someone has already mentioned).
A belated Veteran's Day thank you! (My father is retired Navy; I'm a
civilian for DOD. Experienced some of the govt moves as well, usually
sponsored by the Army. I like the part about getting paid to travel!)

Home base is in the Washington, DC area and am currently working right
outside of Baltimore, living in southcentral Pennsylvania near
Gettysburg. Lived in the UK for three years -- noticed some of our
British friends on this board! (I *loved* England.)

Oh, yes, needlework..... I haven't been doing a lot of stitching;
rather, I'm trying to adopt some of the patterns/methods in rughooking.
So I pop on the board every now and then to see what's going on. I
really want to try one of Elian McCready or Kaffe Fassett designs on a
rug -- love the UK designers. Also love Claire Murray....but also like
the traditional American designs as well (folk art).

Kris

Guess I didn't add the Military life. The departed DH had 24 years in
the Navy when he died, and we had been married for 20 of those years.
DH#2 is retired Air Force, and DS is a 23 year Navy Veteran. My DD
attended 3 High Schools in the four years; Summerville SC, Rota Spain,
an Great Mills MD.

Gillian
Old November 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Gill Murray wrote:
My DD
attended 3 High Schools in the four years; Summerville SC, Rota Spain,
an Great Mills MD.

Gillian

And then there are those of us who lived in the same house from the day
we were born till the day we left home for good.

Old November 21st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dana Compton

On the intro end of this thread. I am Dana Compton. Tulsa OK area. I
married young, been married 21 years now. Both kids are grown and
successful. Our daughter and her hubby have 2 children 4 and 2. Our
youngest is in college an accounting major.
Hubby is plant manager of a small business, I have never really worked
for money. I started sewing at about 2. I still remember sitting on the
floor pulling my beloved nanny's needle through the fabric after she
had started it, over and over and over. My mother did not sew so I
picked up what I could from various people through the years.
I started cross stitch as an adult and do a lot of sewing for the home.
We bought the Ralph Blane Estate (Judy Garlands song writer, quite
famous) that had been allowed to fall into almost ruins a couple of
years ago. We are about done with the work (we did most ourselves) and
I am READY! LOL.
I have fibro but manage to rule it rather than it ruling me most of the
time so far.
I have horses so I spend a lot of time at the stable. I am not nearly
as advanced as most here I am sure but learning things is the fun part
so thanks for letting me join in!!

Dana