Problems with mail order needlework items?

Old March 24th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Problems with mail order needlework items?

After having grown frustrated with the inventory issues at the two
large chain stores in my area, and having no independent needlework
shops in my area (poor me), I found Herrschner's. Thinking I was saved
from the nightmare of never being able to find ALL of the colors I
wanted to use on a project, I placed my first order. Somehow they
shipped my first order to the wrong address. However, after several
phone calls and about four weeks, the replacement order arrived. I
thought their shipping and customer service problems were a fluke so I
thought I'd order again.

This time, ten days later, my order is nowhere to be seen. The
"tracking" they offer on their web site shows my item sitting in
Roseville, CA for eight days. They won't track the order yet because
they believe the carrier may have it in transit. Rosevile is only an
hour away from where I live. How could something be in transit for
eight days?

Part two is that they were out of about 1/2 the items I ordered (about
100) , even though their web site said they had everything but three
items. Even though my back ordered items aren't expected to ship for
another four weeks, they charged me for them!

Reviewing what I ordered compared to what they think they shipped, it
looks like they have double shipped and charged me for several items.
I have talked to four women over there, each saying something
different. I tried emailing and got a response that my items are "in
transit" but nothing more.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I'm desperate for a good place
to order needlework product from but I'm really afraid of ordering
online/mail order!

Old March 24th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Darn! After I wrote this I found a WHOLE string of complaint emails
about Herrschner's. OK, ladies. I've learned my lesson. I'll get
what I'm getting (if I get anything) and that is the end ot it.
Sheesh, that was a $300 order, nothing to sneeze at. You'd think they
would have taken better care! Mightymom.

Old March 24th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Herrschners is a little dodgy, I'm afraid. I've always gotten what I
ordered, and only paid for it once. Eventually.

I'm desperate for a good place
to order needlework product from but I'm really afraid of ordering
online/mail order!

There's lots of good shops out there. You just need to ask.

A few starters:
www.nordicneedle.com needlework/embroidery supplies of all types.
www.maryjanes.com cross stitch
www.threadneedlestreet.com needlepoint/canvas embroidery, but a good
selection of cross stitch stuff
www.stitchesnthings.com cross stitch, now branching into punchneedle
www.wyndhamneedleworks.com sampler/reproduction cross stitch
www.threadexpress.com thread for cross stitch and canvaswork
www.elann.com yarn and patterns
www.yarn.com WEBS yarn

(NAYY. I've ordered from them all within the last 4-5 months.)

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Insect Sampler, Rose Trio, Carousel (TW)
Old March 24th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

There is an online store called Stitcher's Closet that I've had really good
luck with.

http://www.stitcherscloset.com/

Coincidentally it is located in my area, but I have no personal financial
interest, nor do I even know the owner. I just know I get exactly what I
order, in a timely fashion, and she's got a great selection.

--
Jere

oups.com...

Old March 24th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Yikes!

Try this list (I'm not sure where Rosemont is)
http://www.nordencrafts.com/results.cfm

OR Nordic Needle gets raves.

Cheryl

Old March 24th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

OR Nordic Needle gets raves.

Not from me. I'll try Threadneedlestreet or Thread Express, first. I
also like the Silver Needle. Nordic Needle takes too long to process
the order.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old March 24th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jenn Ridley wrote:

There's lots of good shops out there. You just need to ask.

www.needledelights.com is my latest INS of choice. You can e-mail the
order and have Kathy phone you for your credit card number so you
needn't entrust that to e-mail.

Needle Delights was in the path of Hurricane Ivan, and was closed for 9
months until they re-opened a bit further inland. (In fact, just a mile
or so from my friend's house; she tells me her neighborhood's biggest
problem in hurricanes is simply fallen trees taking out power lines.)
Since they lost so much income as a result of the hurricane, I like to
refer people to them to help make up for that.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 24th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

You can add http://www.sewandso.co.uk to that list, very good and fast
service!

Old March 24th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I'll second Elizabeth on the fact that Nordic Needle takes forever to
process an order. I nearly placed an order on a Tuesday using their
"Rush" option on the website hoping to have the supplies by Saturday as
I was going away. I couldn't find out where "Rush" was explained so I
called. Turns out their "Rush" service means they'll process the order
within 48 hours, then ship sometime in the next 24-48 hours after
that... Hmmm... in my books getting it out the door in 3-4 days isn't a
rush! I've ordered from them in the past (non-rush) and always gotten
what I ordered in a relatively timely fashion (I was ordering from
Canada, so the delays were well within what I expected for postal
system/customs related matters).
Heather

Old March 24th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Stitcher" wrote ..
Having tried several methods of supply the only one I use now is....I
phone or email shops starting with the nearest, a couple of hours away
to as far away as Calgary.

Traditional Stitches in Calgary has always shipped very promptly, although
I have always ordered charts and not fibre.
Dawne