Long Dog Samplers

Old June 14th 05, 07:47 PM
Margaret Henderson

Default Long Dog Samplers

A curse on whomever gave the address for Long Dog Samplers!!!
I want them all, especially the new one Plight of Fancy.
A few people have talked about the complexity of the work, but I wonder if
there are any comments about how good the charts are. With such intricate
designs, I'd like to know the charts are clear.

Thanks
Margaret
Midlothian VA

Old June 14th 05, 08:28 PM

Margaret Henderson wrote:
A curse on whomever gave the address for Long Dog Samplers!!!
I want them all, especially the new one Plight of Fancy.
A few people have talked about the complexity of the work, but I wonder if
there are any comments about how good the charts are. With such intricate
designs, I'd like to know the charts are clear.

Thanks
Margaret
Midlothian VA

That mighta been me! I apologize right now, because I know how totally
addictive they are!

I have finished St Sylvestre, have both Bagatelle and Paradigm Lost
started, and St Germaine and Mouline Rouge in stash.

Topping my wish list is Plight of Fancy, with Renaissance close behind!

Caryn

Old June 14th 05, 08:34 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

wrote in message
ups.com...

Margaret Henderson wrote:
A curse on whomever gave the address for Long Dog Samplers!!!
I want them all, especially the new one Plight of Fancy.
A few people have talked about the complexity of the work, but I wonder
if
there are any comments about how good the charts are. With such
intricate
designs, I'd like to know the charts are clear.

Thanks
Margaret
Midlothian VA

That mighta been me! I apologize right now, because I know how totally
addictive they are!

I have finished St Sylvestre, have both Bagatelle and Paradigm Lost
started, and St Germaine and Mouline Rouge in stash.

Topping my wish list is Plight of Fancy, with Renaissance close behind!

Caryn

Caryn, like Margaret, I'm curious as to how good the charts are. What has
been your experience after working from them?

Mavia

Old June 14th 05, 08:41 PM

Mavia Beaulieu wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Margaret Henderson wrote:
[...]

There are mistakes, but since in general the patterns are repetitive,
the mistakes are not that hard to spot before you stitch them! lol

So far I haven't worked on any with more than one color of floss, those
might be harder to spot the errors in.

The one complaint I've heard is that they aren't really good about
giving you an idea of how much floss you'll need. She did try to give
a ballpark with Paradigm Lost, which I appreciated since I choose to
use Gentle Arts Sampler Threads in Royal Purple. I'm not a big
stickler about dye lots on a spot sampler, but it is nice to have an
idea how much to order at once!

Caryn

Old June 14th 05, 09:10 PM
F.James Cripwell

" ) writes:
(snip)

The one complaint I've heard is that they aren't really good about
giving you an idea of how much floss you'll need. She did try to give
a ballpark with Paradigm Lost, which I appreciated since I choose to
use Gentle Arts Sampler Threads in Royal Purple. I'm not a big
stickler about dye lots on a spot sampler, but it is nice to have an
idea how much to order at once!

Caryn

Hush!!!!! Dare I come in with a very quiet Hear! Hear! ?

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old June 14th 05, 09:19 PM
Gill Murray

F.James Cripwell wrote:
" ) writes:

(snip)

The one complaint I've heard is that they aren't really good about
giving you an idea of how much floss you'll need. She did try to give
a ballpark with Paradigm Lost, which I appreciated since I choose to
use Gentle Arts Sampler Threads in Royal Purple. I'm not a big
stickler about dye lots on a spot sampler, but it is nice to have an
idea how much to order at once!

Caryn

Hush!!!!! Dare I come in with a very quiet Hear! Hear! ?

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
This creature of doom flies over the frozen tundra in winter,
shrieking its dreaded call; "Key, Key, Key, Key rist but it's cold!!"

LOL!! I was waiting for your little whisper, Jim!!

Gillian
Old June 14th 05, 09:39 PM

F.James Cripwell wrote:
" ) writes:
(snip)

The one complaint I've heard is that they aren't really good about
giving you an idea of how much floss you'll need. She did try to give
a ballpark with Paradigm Lost, which I appreciated since I choose to
use Gentle Arts Sampler Threads in Royal Purple. I'm not a big
stickler about dye lots on a spot sampler, but it is nice to have an
idea how much to order at once!

Caryn

Hush!!!!! Dare I come in with a very quiet Hear! Hear! ?

--
Jim Cripwell.

Would it burst your bubble to know that it isn't a major complaint I
have, but one I heard from some folks on AOL who ordered one chart and
then starting to whine? g

Since I work mostly with DMC, it's not a huge worry for me. I probably
wouldn't have bought the GAST without the use estimate she provided,
but since she did I figured why not?

Caryn

Old June 14th 05, 09:45 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mavia Beaulieu wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Margaret Henderson wrote:
[...]

Thanks Caryn!....Mavia

Old June 14th 05, 11:15 PM
lrdavis

I'm working on Plight of Fancy now and I love it! The colors are just
great. I've also finished St. Flovier. You can see them both in my
"Works in Progress" album: http://www.picturetrail.com/ladystitch714

I like the charts (they are clear and in black and white), but on St.
Flovier the stitch count given on the front of the chart was incorrect.
I stitched the number of stitches given for the top border
(fortunately just a straight line of stitches), then started the next
band. It was at least 10 stitches shorter than the top line. I finally
just stitched the whole sampler and did the surrounding line last. When
I started Plight of Fancy I did the same thing...I didn't even count so
I don't know if the stitch count given is correct. That said, this is
the most fun I've had stitching in quite some time! And while the piece
is large, it's all just plain cross stitch...no blending or different
stitches.

Lynn in Lancaster PA

Old June 15th 05, 12:08 AM
Tegan

lrdavis wrote:
[...]

Lynn,
What a great idea! I'm so literal minded with things, I would never
have thought to do that. I have Plight in my stash as well. I'm saving
up to get Vikki Clayton's silk conversion for it. I'm currently working
on Bagatelle and St. Germaine. Like Caryn said, I think my one
complaint is not really having a good idea how much floss I'll need for
either one. "Bags" isn't a problem, since I'm doing it in white, and I
got the overdye I'm using for the netting effect on sale at my LNS, so
I bought all they had, just to "safe". Since St. Germaine is smaller, I
chose a Needlepoint Inc. silk to use, and since it's a solid color, we
imagine if I do need more, color matching won't be a problem.
I can't wait to see progress images of Caryn's Bagatelle, since she
stitches from the bottom up, and I stitch from the bottom down. I read
on the Legacy EZboard that Bagatelle does have some errors, but I'm not
sure just how accurate that is, since the other thing I read is that
while it LOOKS like a mirror image chart, it's not. Another minor
complaint I'd read about is the lack of clear directions. My one big
question with Bagatelle was regarding the 'netting' stitches, and since
Caryn's seen the original model in person, she's been able to answer
that.
I looked at your gallery of images and wow! Plight does look good!
So does St. Flovier. The colors are just lovely. I keep eyeing the
colored version of St. Sylvester on Long Dog's website with an eye
towards doing it in a similar way, but I'm so leery of relying on my
own color sense.
Gak.. I'm such a huge fan of these designs I could run on.. darn
Caryn for showing them to me in the first place... LOL
Tegan

A TNNA Show Visit to Long Beach, CA Lula Needlework 1 February 6th 04 12:39 PM
Hi, all! (long) Susanne Quilting 6 August 21st 03 01:04 PM
Long. Sewing blocks to each other Polly Esther Quilting 12 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM