Metal Futon Arm Covers

Old March 2nd 05, 12:28 AM
aeromom

Default Metal Futon Arm Covers

Does anyone know of a pattern to make fabric and or padded arm covers for
metal futons?
The arms are cold and a menace to my grandchildren.
Thanks,
aeromom

Old March 2nd 05, 01:45 AM
Barbara Raper

You might could use a pre quilted fabric and use velcro to hold it together
on the arm. You would probably just need a rectangle cut to go around each
arm, plus a little to lap over.
Barbara in FL

Old March 2nd 05, 02:00 AM
aeromom

Good idea. If I use the quilted fabric I wouldn't have to have padding and a
separate fabric. Velcro would work for attaching it.
Thanks

hlink.net...

Old March 2nd 05, 02:00 AM
Larry Green

Does anyone know of a pattern to make fabric and or padded arm covers for
metal futons?
The arms are cold and a menace to my grandchildren.
Thanks,
aeromom

How about covering the metal arms with split foam water pipe insulation
or even the hollow 'noodles' used by kids in swimming pools? Like
another poster said you should then be able to cover them fairly easily
with rectangles with either elasticated ends or velcro.

--
Larry Green

Old March 2nd 05, 02:20 AM
BEI Design

Larry Green wrote:

How about covering the metal arms with split foam water pipe
insulation

Funny, that's what I use as a wrist-rest on my computer desk. Works
very well, and the adhesive keeps it in place.

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old March 2nd 05, 08:50 PM
Pat in Virginia

You could try some narrow tubular cushions from
sports stores. Kayak stores sell nice ones that
wrap around the bars of the roof racks. Bicycle
stores sell some that pad the cross bars. Then
just make a pretty tube cover with your fabric; it
can remove for laundry.
HTH. PAT

Old March 3rd 05, 02:11 PM
joy beeson

If all you need is to make the arms warmer, quilted fabric
will do fine -- but for protecting the grandkids, thin, soft
padding will actually make the arms *more* dangerous, by
making the children less careful. Soft padding makes the
arms comfortable for gentle contacts, but squishes out of
the way and doesn't offer the slightest protection when the
kid trips and hits the metal arm skull first. (This is why
it's possible to bruise yourself on the padding inside a
bicycle helmet -- the crushable foam saves itself for
incidents that might crack your skull.)

But a quilted fabric over one of the hard pads suggested in
other parts of this thread would be very nice. In addition
to making the surface softer and warmer, quilted fabric is
much less inclined to muss and shift than plain fabric.

When padding the arms, don't forget that the *end* of the
arm is the most dangerous part.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old March 4th 05, 01:58 AM
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "aeromom"
wrote:

padded arm covers for metal futons?

The only metal futon arms I've seen have been simple tubes. Just
measure the diameter and make a tubular wrap to suit.