Bad start to the day :(

Old May 31st 04, 05:09 AM
Kim E

Default Bad start to the day :(

They got in by slicing the screen off one of the windows in our
walk-out basement and forcing the window open. They left through the
sliding glass door in the basement - they left both the window and the
door wide open.

My in-laws are truly wonderful. They are going away in 2 weeks on a
driving trip to Alaska and will be gone for 2 months. They are
letting us use their second vehicle for the next 2 1/2 months, this
will allow us to replace the car when we are ready. We picked it up
today, they will share their other car until they leave on their trip.

There were actually 3 other cars stolen in exactly the same way that
night. All 4 vehicles are late 90's - 2 Civics, 2 Corollas. The
police think that if we ever see the cars again they will be in
pieces.

I wanted a new cell phone anyway. Not exactly the way I planned to
get one, though.

Kim

(Kim E) wrote in message . com...
Yesterday, when we woke up, we discovered that someone had broken into
our house WHILE WE WERE HOME SLEEPING!!! They took DS's Playstation
2, some DVD's, tried to take the DVD/VCR player (but couldn't get it
unhooked so left it dangling from a cable), my Palm Pilot, my cell
phone, my car keys and MY CAR!!! They took my Pilot out of my wallet,
took the $2 in it, but left the credit cards, ID, etc. Even left a
prepaid $50 gas card. Usually, my Pilot and phone spend the nights
upstairs in their chargers, but I forgot Friday night.

The policeman who took the report came to us from taking an identical
report 3 miles away. At that house, they took the woman's wallet out
of her purse, left the wallet, and took the purse. Go figure.

DH, DS and I were home sleeping and we sleep like rocks. DD is a much
lighter sleeper, but she was sleeping next door with her best friend.
I shudder to think what might have happened if she awoke to noises and
went down to investigate. Since my house keys were on the ring with
my car keys, neither kid wanted to sleep here tonight. Can't say that
I blame them. We can't get a locksmith out until Tuesday because of
the holiday.

Fortunately, everything that was taken is easily replaceable. They
didn't take any heirlooms or quilts, just quick cash stuff. The cops
think my 97 Honda Civic and the other lady's 96 Toyota Corolla are
favorite targets for parts. The biggest problem, of course, is the
car. I have to work all three days of the holiday weekend as well as
Tuesday and Wednesday. This leaves DH and the kids home without
transportation - but friends have offered to drive them anywhere they
need to go.

Maybe working on my quilt-in-progress will help me calm down.

Kim E.

Old May 31st 04, 03:16 PM
Cindy Schmidt

Kim:

I am so sorry to hear of this news. Just thankful that everyone is OK.

Cindy from MO

om...