Magazines for sale on RCTM

Old May 20th 04, 10:56 AM
Val Mathison

Default Magazines for sale on RCTM

Hi all

I am selling all my UK and US cross stitching mags and have just posted an ad
on marketplace :-)

Val
Old May 21st 04, 07:44 PM

I see posts mentioning RCTM and have heard of it but How does one get there
from here? When I was on AOL I had no trouble getting on this RCTN group
but once I got my cable hook up it was a devil finding and being able to get
into RCTN let alone any other NG's. I've tried going into RCTN, at first,
thru a google search which was successful once but was never able to repeat
my movements on that

Marc

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania

http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Galler...=1065918331265

Old May 21st 04, 08:23 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

First: Do you have a newsreader (independent or through your browser),
and does your cable service include newsgroups? I'm just asking because
I want to start at the beginning and know where you're at.

Second: Through google, you can find RCTMarketplace by:
Going to Google
Click on Groups
Click on rec
Click on rec.crafts
Click on rec.crafts.textiles
Click on rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace
(or rec.crafts.textiles.needlework)

Dianne

Old May 22nd 04, 12:46 AM
Jeri

wrote in message

I see posts mentioning RCTM and have heard of it but How does one get
there from here? When I was on AOL I had no trouble getting on this
RCTN group but once I got my cable hook up it was a devil finding and
being able to get into RCTN let alone any other NG's. I've tried
going into RCTN, at first, thru a google search which was successful
once but was never able to repeat my movements on that

Hi Marc,
From your headers I see you use Outlook Express......there are several ways
to get there from here. )

Look at the icons along the top of the newsreader. If there's a Newsgroups
button click on it. If not, go to Tools... Newsgroups or you can just hit
the Control and W key combination.

That will bring up a box that lists all the newsgroups your ISP carries.
Type rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace in the search box.
That should bring up RCTM in the lower box. Double click on the name to
subscribe to it or, if you just want to check it out without subscribing,
hightlight the name and click Go To.

If RCTM doesn't show up in the list and you know you spelled it right (don't
ask lol) you'll have to contact your ISP and ask them to add the newsgroup.
This shouldn't be a problem. Most ISPs don't mind adding newsgroups.

Hope this helps.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old May 22nd 04, 03:40 AM

Thank you for the replies. I'll try the outlook express way...I am on Cable
and my ISP does carry NG's but even though I'm here at the Outlook express
I'm not sure what my ISP uses to get the NGs... So I'll fiddle a bit then if
unsuccessful will contact Comcast. I've always had fairly good luck with
them....But thanks all for your replies

Marc

--

"Jeri" wrote in message
wrote in message

I see posts mentioning RCTM and have heard of it but How does one get
there from here? When I was on AOL I had no trouble getting on this
RCTN group but once I got my cable hook up it was a devil finding and
being able to get into RCTN let alone any other NG's. I've tried
going into RCTN, at first, thru a google search which was successful
once but was never able to repeat my movements on that

Hi Marc,
From your headers I see you use Outlook Express......there are several

ways

Old May 22nd 04, 03:46 AM

How easy was that? I followed "jeri"'s suggestions and it went like a
snap... Fact if I weren't so dumb and looked in the wrong box I would have
had it subscribed a few second earlier. Thanks a lot...Just what I
need...another source for obtaining stash...

Marc

--

"Jeri" wrote in message
wrote in message

I see posts mentioning RCTM and have heard of it but How does one get
there from here? When I was on AOL I had no trouble getting on this
RCTN group but once I got my cable hook up it was a devil finding and
being able to get into RCTN let alone any other NG's. I've tried
going into RCTN, at first, thru a google search which was successful
once but was never able to repeat my movements on that

Hi Marc,
From your headers I see you use Outlook Express......there are several

Old May 22nd 04, 04:08 AM
Jenn Liace

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:40:30 -0400, wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I'll try the outlook express way...I am on Cable
and my ISP does carry NG's but even though I'm here at the Outlook express
I'm not sure what my ISP uses to get the NGs... So I'll fiddle a bit then if
unsuccessful will contact Comcast. I've always had fairly good luck with
them....But thanks all for your replies

At least here in Chicago, Comcast uses a service called Giganews for
newsgroup access. Assuming your comcast.net page looks like mine (and
I say this because my father's page is slightly different than mine),
go to the Toolbox on the left side, then to Account Management.
There's a link on that page to sign up for newsgroups access.

Hope that helps!

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Old May 22nd 04, 10:23 AM
Jeri

wrote in message

How easy was that? I followed "jeri"'s suggestions and it went like a
snap... Fact if I weren't so dumb and looked in the wrong box I would
have had it subscribed a few second earlier. Thanks a lot...Just
what I need...another source for obtaining stash...

It's always a pleasure to help other people spend their money. lol
I also should have added that you don't have to type out the full newsgroup
name in the search box. If you know what the full name is it's sometimes
easier than scrolling through a whole list of newsgroup names.

So, for example, if you're interested in gardening you could just type in
gardening or garden and find all the newsgroups that have that in their
name. Warning! Usenet can become addictive! lol
Have fun!

Old May 30th 05, 11:57 AM
F.James Cripwell

Lucretia Borgia ) writes:
(snip)
This is a prime example Jim, of what happens when people like this do
not receive a rude rejoinder - slowly more and more think to
themselves, "I am missing an opportunity here" - seen a group go under
that way.

This has come up so many times over the years, that I think it is
worthwhile discussing in more detail. This is my belief on the subject,
so I wont put in lots of "IMHO's". There are almost no examples of
rctners overtly advertising; passing useful information, yes. However,
attacking our friends has, quite often, caused them to leave us. We can
*never* stop any outsider posting a message on rctn.
The question comes down to what is the best response from rctners to
these fly-by-night postings. If people respond, then the poster knows
their message has been read, which is postive feedback, and encourages
others to post. If there is no response, and the message just disappears
into cyberspace, the poster has no idea whether anyone read it or not.
These sort of people are so rude themselves, that they simply are usually
unaffected by any sort of rude response.
Anyone else with opinions on this subject?
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old May 30th 05, 03:40 PM
Ericka Kammerer

F.James Cripwell wrote:

[...]

I think you are absolutely correct. In nearly 20 years of
participating in Usenet, the only things I've seen to be successful
on a regular basis have been to ignore spammers and trolls and up the
signal to noise ratio by posting on topic. I've seen many a newsgroup
reclaimed with those techniques. I've almost never seen a newsgroup
reclaimed/improved by public chastising of the spammers or trolls
(happens on rare occasion, but not often). I've seen several newsgroups
essentially die because of the poisonous atmosphere engendered more by
the sniping and arguing over the spamming/trolling than the spamming/
trolling itself. It brings out the worst in people and creates a
negative atmosphere that many positive contributors find unpleasant.
Even kids learn quickly that no one likes tattle tales, even when
they're right.

Best wishes,
Ericka