Suggestions for quilt pattern

Old August 30th 03, 04:03 PM
Jalynne

Default Suggestions for quilt pattern

attic windows might be a good option or I Spy.
--
Jalynne

"ruffian125" wrote in message
I have a large quantity of 4" squares of Liberty fabric. They are of the
same general type: small floral print. I got them to "make a quilt" of
them, a small one. However, they are all different and laying them out
together creates a mish-mosh. I think I put the cart before the horse:
should have picked a pattern first, then bought fabric.

I'm thinking I should get a quantity of a plain, harmonizing fabric for
a "background" to unify the design and use the squares as design
elements. Or use a "pane" effect. Looked through a lot of library books
but couldn't find a good example.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old August 30th 03, 04:13 PM
Roberta Zollner

You're on the right track. Get a background you like. (Try to get something
the same weight as the Liberty fabric -it's a bit lighter than "regular"
patchwork fabric. But no need to be obsessive, the regular stuff will work!)

You might try sorting the squares into color groups and making them into
9-patches, alternated with a block of the plain fabric. This would give you
a nice blank area for a pretty quilting design.
Roberta in D

Old August 30th 03, 06:48 PM
Patti

What Roberta suggested is a good idea.
I made a small quilt (miniature) from Liberty fabrics recently. As
yours, they were pretty well all floral. My tiny rectangles had tiny
central rectangles, and these were in a plain fabric. However, I did
not put any division between the rectangles; and, I didn't like it. If
you have a large quantity of squares already, another thing you could do
is divide them by colour (as far as possible - not easy with some of
them) and do a Trip Around the World with alternate rows in a plain
colour to compliment the patterned row just done. With the lovely
patterns you have, you might get a group together which would look good
for the centre of TATW?
..

In article , ruffian125
writes
I have a large quantity of 4" squares of Liberty fabric. They are of
the same general type: small floral print. I got them to "make a quilt"
of them, a small one. However, they are all different and laying them
out together creates a mish-mosh. I think I put the cart before the
horse: should have picked a pattern first, then bought fabric.

I'm thinking I should get a quantity of a plain, harmonizing fabric for
a "background" to unify the design and use the squares as design
elements. Or use a "pane" effect. Looked through a lot of library books
but couldn't find a good example.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 30th 03, 09:53 PM
Pat in Virginia

How about color wash or water color design? Look for books by Pat
Magret and Donna Slusher, and by Dierdre Amsden. WC/CW quilts
usually require 2" squares, so you've a good start.

Another suggestion: you could just send the Liberty squares to me
and make something different!

PAT in VA/USa

Old August 31st 03, 02:28 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi,
There's a book by Darlene Zimmerman called 'Granny Quilts' which utilises
all the tiny prints imaginable in constructing some delightful old fashioned
ones. Well worth a look. Borrowed ir from my local Library, and the ISBN
is: 0-87349-501-2
Lynn

Old September 6th 03, 03:11 PM
Dianne

I love the 'Boston Commons' quilt pattern, maybe you could use them for
that. Here's a web site I found for the pattern, a scrappy floral look
would be really nice. http://www.cindybrick.com/letter22.htm

--
Dianne
Prince Edward Island