MY SUZANI

Old November 21st 03, 06:38 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default MY SUZANI

My Bought Suzani
169 cm wide , 211 long .
The background is light burgondy , it has side panels and an under
panel , and the middle part is empty ,
It is backed with [patched-flowered] pieces of coton. the burgondy
backfground is course silk ,amd at kleast 2 length [hand] seams are
seen , [ others might be hidden under the 3 Blue Shiny ribbons sewn
leghtwise and on under pannel.
all around a black Wide Bias ribbon encloses the Suzani.
Side panel A border of White roses and black curly very wide stems. A
panel of black roses , peach on 1 panel and green on second side
panel , rectangles with a white snake line , interchanging with blue
rectangles with white birdjars , and Blue vegitation with a Diagonal
white. andagain a border of black wide stems .
Under panel has other forms of animaljars . All embroidery is done
with silk threads in flat stiches. panels are divided by blue silk
ribbons.
mirjam
Old November 21st 03, 07:26 AM
Cher

Hi Mirjam, Forgive my ignorance, I had always thought a Suzani was a term
applied to applique type of work, so you could have a Suzani bag, or
throw...or something. You talk of panels, is yours a screen....Do please
enlighten your dim friend in the UK.

Cheers.....Cher

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old November 21st 03, 08:01 AM
Ophelia

"Cher" wrote in message
Hi Mirjam, Forgive my ignorance, I had always thought a Suzani was a

term
applied to applique type of work, so you could have a Suzani bag, or
throw...or something. You talk of panels, is yours a screen....Do please
enlighten your dim friend in the UK.

No dimmer than me. I hadn't even heard of 'Suzani'

Old November 21st 03, 09:45 AM
Jan Lennie

Not Mirjam , but hope this helps to explain
http://www.uzbektextile.com/category.../category_id=1
Jan

Old November 21st 03, 03:00 PM
Angelicsong

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the link! Isn't it wonderful how much there is to learn about
crafting? Something for everyone isn't there?

Loads of hugs,
Melody

Old November 21st 03, 05:04 PM
Janise Ross

Mirjam,

Thank you for the explanation and expanding our horizons!

Janise

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Dear Cher !!! Good evening !!
Suzanni means needle in Persian Tajik language.
And it is used to describe the silk embroideries made by Uzbekian
women who lived in central towns along the Silk road : Bukahra ,
Tashkent, Nuratau and Shari-Sebz. It always includes Embroidery .
of course you can apply this to a bag or a cushion , but the main big
works are Bed covers.
As i have already written about it , i will snail you some printed
matter about it,, [just made a note to it on Sunday. ] the bed covers
are made in panels so that several family [female[]members can join in
the work .
You are not dim we are just lucky to have Jews who came here with this
wonderful tradition ,,,
mirjam

Old November 21st 03, 05:17 PM
Ophelia

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Ach Ophelia , not only did i see some original ones [ huuum]
but we had a marvelous Exhibition here , in Jerushalayiem , in 2001 ,
in the Museum for Islamic Art .... and had a seminar about it ,,,
wonderful , i went 4 times... and didn`t have enough of it .
Now mine i bought in a Rug shop in Old JAFFO [ Jaffa] .... and
bargained for the price...as one should do ,,
mirjam

Thank you Mirjam I was debating whether it is a rug or a cloth.
Whichever.. the pictures were beautiful

Old November 21st 03, 10:52 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You are Welcome Janice ,,, good things have to be shared , the lousy
creep on us unasked for.