OT Peonies, was Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old July 23rd 03, 04:06 AM
Debra

Default OT Peonies, was Banned from the Garden!--very long

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:33:47 -0500, Joan Erickson

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:21:24 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

But while we are in our own gardens, what is the secret to peonies??

They are picky and if you try to divide them, or move them,they often
will sulk and not bloom for a few years. Stick them in and leave them
alone.

Sheena is right. Not so much that they're picky (at least in my
experience--mine aren't in very good soil), but they *usually* won't
bloom until the third year after they've been moved. And give them
plenty of room--my little 8" transplants are now in a space about 4 feet
across! They also like pretty much full sun, too. My mom had a pink
one that was nearly always in the shadow of something or other during
the day and never did get very big, even after many years.
I usually trim off the flower heads when they're done blooming. It
looks like a nice bush from then until frost. Then in the fall, when
the growing season is done, cut them off so there's only a couple of
inches left sticking out of the ground.
HTH and good luck!

I never thought about trimming off the blooms and leaving the rest as
a bush. I have been cutting the whole thing down to the ground when
the blooming is done. I am going to try it your way next year.

Hmmm, mine is huge and it's in poor soil (Virginia red clay). I
wonder if they do better in poor soil than in what most people would
call good soil.

Debra in VA
Old July 23rd 03, 04:18 AM
Dawne Peterson

Thanks Joan and Sheena for this. I now think that the location I tried was
not the best--against the house, so facing east and in shade much of the
day. I will have to look carefully at various hours to find a better
spot--I also have two huge fir trees in my front yard so shade is easier to
find than full sun.
What are their watering requirements??
Dawne

Old July 23rd 03, 01:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Hello!
I love peonies too! But I only have 3 because I know how big they get! But
there is this pink semi-double!

I never thought about trimming off the blooms and leaving the rest as
a bush. I have been cutting the whole thing down to the ground when
the blooming is done. I am going to try it your way next year.

Here in NE, the leaves turn lovely colors in the fall. Sometimes I will
leave the seed heads alone - they look exotic when they split open!

Hmmm, mine is huge and it's in poor soil (Virginia red clay). I
wonder if they do better in poor soil than in what most people would
call good soil.

The only rule of thumb that I learned from my peony guru (he's in Maine), is
to make sure the crown is less than an inch under soil level - and no mulch.
In the south the rule is deeper, but don't ask me how deep!
Cheryl
(peonies - Wrinkles and Krinkles, Shirley Temple and Coral and Gold!)
(daylilies - too many to name here!)

Old July 23rd 03, 02:03 PM
Dr. Brat

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

(daylilies - too many to name here!)

WhoooHoooo! Juniper Chase, Love Fest, Fairy Tale Pink, and Joan Senior
are all blooming out back today, Daveo Holman and Strutter's Ball are on
the side of the house. I'm in heaven!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 23rd 03, 03:23 PM
Dawne Peterson

Sheena wrote
I think you need to move them to more sun and that will make them stop

blooming for awhile. But they are worth waiting for!

I really envy the yard down the street, where peonies are planted the
entire length of a small iron fence dividing two yards--a peony hedge.
They completely cover the fence, although it clearly gives them support as
the heads don't fall down to the ground as I have seen with some plantings.
The blooms are in lovely old fashioned rose shades. When they come into
bloom against the full dark green foliage it is so beautiful. I wait for it
every year.
Dawne

Old July 25th 03, 07:46 PM
Debra

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:30:54 -0300, wrote:

I also think it is nice to try and find plants that will like your
garden and not expect you to pamper them. If the plant was healthy
when I put it in and it didn't make it, I rarely plant that kind
again. For whatever reason, the garden did not suit it. I will go
as far as sometimes watering plants just before they bloom (thinking
the flowers will be better) but other than that, they have to make it
on their own.

Sometimes it is just the spot you planted it in that's the killer. I
have several plants that won't grow anywhere other than the spot they
are in now. I don't know why they only survive in one spot rather
than another, light is just right, water perfect, or whatever. It
seems like the north side of the house has a whole different climate
than the rest of the yard and certain plants like it better there.

In the early years before the perennials grew larger, I used to
scatter packets of seeds too. I once put in California Poppies, they
did too well. Four of five years of weeding finally eliminated them.

I fear that I will plant something that tries to take over the yard.
I check a website for my state that lists invasive plants before I am
willing to plant something. I also check a native plant list. If
something is on that list for my local area I can be fairly sure it
will grow in my yard. Some plants can't be grown in this red clay we
have for topsoil.

I heard Germaine Greer talking about gardening, she feels it is a
natural thing for women to enjoy after menopause! I believe she
could be right.

Sheena

Well I haven't hit menopause yet (have ten years or so til then) but I
have gotten the urge to "scratch in the dirt" as my aunt calls it.
Five years ago I would have said gardening is for the birds. Now I
want to plant things that will provide food and shelter for the birds.

Debra in VA