High Mercury Content in Silver Bracelet

Old December 21st 03, 09:13 AM
KJ

Default High Mercury Content in Silver Bracelet

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I
really have no other idea where to turn with this question. I
purchased a silver bracelet from www.bluenile.com for Valentine's Day
of 2003 (the order was made in January, 2003). The item was
approximately $40 in price and consisted of two silver hearts threaded
onto two silver bracelet loops. I'm not certain if this link will
work, but the item may be viewed at

http://www.bluenile.com/product_deta...5 &set_shape=

The item is stock number 3405 on their website. Anyway, here is the
problem. I gave the gift to my girlfriend back in February (for
Valentine's Day). She absolutely loved it and decided to wear it all
the time. Over the summer, she began working at a local engineering
firm as an intern. As an intern, she was trained in the use of a
scanning electron microscope, SEM for short, (one of the most advanced
microscopes in the world). For demonstration purposes, they used the
SEM on my girlfriend's bracelet to show just how powerful its
magnification capabilities were. The SEM also has the ability to tell
the exact composition of any metal which it is scanning.

Both my girlfriend and I were surprised to read on the output from the
SEM that the composition of the bracelet and hearts of her bracelet
were ~75% silver and approximately 11% mercury. Being somewhat
familiar with chemistry, I am aware that mercury and silver are
difficult to separate, so it is common in most jewelry to find 2 to 3%
mercury in a "silver" piece of jewelry. My question is this: why so
much mercury in this bracelet and what do people think I should do
about this? Is it possible that the percentage of mercury found in
this piece of jewelry could be hazardous to a person's health,
especially when worn close to the body (as with a bracelet)?

If it does have the potential to be hazardous, doesn't Blue Nile have
some sort of responsibility to replace the jewelry with a "real"
silver item?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area - I really have no
idea who else to ask about this. Thank you for your time and advice,

KJ
Old December 21st 03, 09:41 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:14:07 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry
(KJ) wrote:

... She absolutely loved it and decided to wear it all
the time....

One thing to find out is whether there is any chance that, either at this new
work place, or in the home, your girlfriend somehow exposed the bracelet to
metallic mercury. The most common place this happens in the home is a broken
mercury thermometer. In industrial settings, there are quite a number of other
types of equipment that have mercury in them. Only a little mercury spilled,
and in contact with the silver, can easily spread over it's surface, appearing
to pretty much dissipate into the surface almost invisibly on silver. (On gold,
it changes the color to greyish, but on silver, there is not always much visible
change)

... For demonstration purposes, they used the
SEM on my girlfriend's bracelet to show just how powerful its
magnification capabilities were. The SEM also has the ability to tell
the exact composition of any metal which it is scanning.

it's important to note that the SEM can only determine the composition of the
surface layer of the metal, not it's overall composition. surface
electroplating, for example, would mean that all that's being determined is the
electroplated coating. In a case like that, the scanned composition might be
something pretty much unrelated to the basic metal of which the bracelet was
made, under that electroplate. The most common electroplate on sterling is a
rhodium finish, usually applied over a nickle plate, which itself is over a
copper plate, and only under that is the sterling itself. As these plated
coatings are thin, and wear down, what the microscope scanned could be any
surface plate or underplate, or the final underneath composition.

Both my girlfriend and I were surprised to read on the output from the
SEM that the composition of the bracelet and hearts of her bracelet
were ~75% silver and approximately 11% mercury.

This is HIGHLY unusual. Sterling silver should have NO mercury at all.
Nominally it's an alloy of 92.5% silver (required to call it sterling) with the
balance being usually copper for the traditional alloy, but there are some newer
oxidiation resistant versions of sterling silver than can have other things,
such as tin, or more exotic metals in the alloy. But mercury and silver are
generally found combined only in what's called an amalgam, the most common place
for which is in dental work. It's not generally used any more, but lots of folks
still have mercury/silver amalgam fillings still in their teeth, where the
concensus as to toxicity is unclear. Silver/mercuary amalgam in jewelry might
be used as an artists technique, for inlay or the like, but is rare. In a
commercially made piece like your bracelet, I doubt that is the reason for the
mercury. Most likely, it's accidental contamination as described above. It
would be good for your girlfriend to try and find out where this might have
occured, since it would indicate that there may be some free/liquid traces of
mercury sitting around where the contamination occurred. Mercury slowly
vaporizes, and very low levels of mercury vapor from spilled mercury is still
toxic. This is not good stuff to have around. Until the puzzle is solved and
dealt with, your girlfriend should NOT wear the bracelet.

Being somewhat
familiar with chemistry, I am aware that mercury and silver are
difficult to separate,

chemically, yes. But the normal temperatures reached in soldering or annealing
would drive off the mercury quite effectively. Because of the toxicity of the
resulting mercury fumes, this MUST be done with proper ventillation.

so it is common in most jewelry to find 2 to 3%
mercury in a "silver" piece of jewelry.

No. not common, and in fact, rather alarming.

My question is this: why so
much mercury in this bracelet and what do people think I should do
about this?

First, contact Blue Nile. Theres some slim chance the contamination occurred in
manufacturing, or during their handling, though frankly, I doubt it, since
mercury is not commonly used in jewelry workshops. But still, it's always a
possibility. Then find a jeweler with a good vent hood available, and see if
they are equipped to use heat, such as an annealing oven, or even a torch, used
outdoors, to drive off the mercury. It will need repolishing afterwords, but
then should be safe.

Is it possible that the percentage of mercury found in
this piece of jewelry could be hazardous to a person's health,
especially when worn close to the body (as with a bracelet)?

Yes, though it's unclear how unsafe. It would depend on how thoroughly the
mercury is bound up with the silver, and if there is still any free merury at
the surface. If so, it can be absorbed through the skin (very much a not good
thing...)

If it does have the potential to be hazardous, doesn't Blue Nile have
some sort of responsibility to replace the jewelry with a "real"
silver item?

Again, this depends on whether this is something that happened on their end, or
during the last year with your girlfiend's wearing it. Mercury contamination of
jewelry happens easily when someone breaks one of those thermometers or other
devices containing mercury, and it doesn't take much to do what you describe.

But in any case, contact them. It's important that they review their own
facility for it's safety. My guess is that this item is one they buy from
another manufacturer, rather than making it theselves. But you should contact
them in any case. One clue might be the surface finish. Mercury contamination
generally tends to dull the surface. If the bracelet has not had any polishing
(a polishing cloth by your girlfriend, for example) yet still retains a bright
shiney finish, then the possibility that this was already there when purchases
is higher.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area - I really have no
idea who else to ask about this. Thank you for your time and advice,

By the way, keep me posted (via private email, perhaps, if appropriate) on your
progress with this. If you have too much trouble with Blue Nile, and feel you
need help, let me know. I happen to know the shop forman in their Seattle
workshop (which mostly makes the platinum and diamond jewelry and the like,
rather than silver things, but nevertheless, I might be able to help if needed.

And yes, this is a fine place to ask this question. The other good place
within the jewelry industry would be the main competition this newsgroup has,
the Orchid mail list, which can be found through the Ganoksin.com web site.

Hope this helps.

Peter Rowe
(moderator, rec.crafts.jewelry newsgroup)
Also in Seattle, where Blue Nile is based.

Old December 21st 03, 11:49 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:13:44 GMT, (KJ) wrote:

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I
really have no other idea where to turn with this question. I
purchased a silver bracelet from
www.bluenile.com for Valentine's Day
of 2003 (the order was made in January, 2003). The item was
approximately $40 in price and consisted of two silver hearts threaded
onto two silver bracelet loops. I'm not certain if this link will
work, but the item may be viewed at

http://www.bluenile.com/product_deta...5 &set_shape=

snip

Both my girlfriend and I were surprised to read on the output from the
SEM that the composition of the bracelet and hearts of her bracelet
were ~75% silver and approximately 11% mercury.

The bracelet is listed as sterling, which in the US means .925 silver
and .075 copper.

Since she works in a lab, is it possible she contaminated it at work?

I'd contact Blue Nile and see what they say.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old December 22nd 03, 02:31 AM
Abrasha

KJ wrote:

Both my girlfriend and I were surprised to read on the output from the
SEM that the composition of the bracelet and hearts of her bracelet
were ~75% silver and approximately 11% mercury.

You should be surprised, because that is absolutely ridiculous, preposterous,
inconceivable, urealistic, silly, nonsense, hogwash, incredulous and pathetic.

Being somewhat
familiar with chemistry, I am aware that mercury and silver are
difficult to separate, so it is common in most jewelry to find 2 to 3%
mercury in a "silver" piece of jewelry.

Ditto (see above)

My question is this: why so
much mercury in this bracelet and what do people think I should do
about this?

Throw out the microscope, if in fact that thing gives you the composition of the
alloy, which is highly unlikely.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old December 22nd 03, 05:44 AM
Fishbre396

In article , Abrasha
writes:

Could the writer be confusing Mercury and Nickle? Just wondering . . .

Old December 23rd 03, 02:43 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:36:23 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:44:04 GMT, ojunk
(Fishbre396) wrote:

In article , Abrasha
writes:

Could the writer be confusing Mercury and Nickle? Just wondering . . .

Even if they were, sterling, by law in the US, doesn't have nickel in
it.

True, but remember that an SEM, or similar non-intrusive/optical means of alloy
determination are looking only at the surface, not the whole bulk of the alloy.
And among other things found on sterling surfaces, one common one might be
rhodium plating. Commonly this is applied over several underplates, first of
copper, and then nickel. So even if the bracelet alloy itself does not contain
nickel, a surface measurement of the metal might show significant amounts.
However, mercury is not generally used like that, so unless the instrument is
badly out of calibration, or otherwise has made such a mistake (and these are
not simple machines, so they CAN be mis-calibrated or otherwise set up wrong.
But places that can afford these, and need them, generally try to take care of
them properly...)

While certainly operator or machine error might account for a reading showing
both low silver levels (should have been 92.5% and high mercury, which shouldn't
be there at all, my guess is there may be several things going on, to include
both readings from some surface electroplate used to retard or prevent
tarnishing (rhodium is not the only one, though it's the most common), and some
manner of surface contamination to account for the mercury itself.

Peter
Old December 23rd 03, 04:57 AM
ted.frater

One possibility is that there actually is mercury on the surface. Ive
here a bottle of mercury quickening( probably mercury in an aqeous
solution of Sodium cyanide), made by one of our UK oldest plating
suppliers( Canning), probably from the 1930's. It is/was used as a
preparatory surface preparation after chemical cleaning and before
putting into a plating tank. It would normally have been used on nickel
brass prior to plating with silver. It does produce a better adhesion
than the more modern ie post 1950's technology.
Ive considerable experience in remaking flatware( old nickel brass
cutlery) from before 1930 as most of that was mercury quickened, Iknow
this as when I annealed this material the silver plate didnt
deteriorate whereas the post 1950's did.
An old holloware repairer confirmed this to me many years ago.
If thebracelet in question was made somewhere other than the Europe or
the USA then anything might have happened to it.
Id give it a good repolish to remove a good few surface microns of the
surface, seal with a clear wax and keep an eye on it in hot and humid
weather,when perspiration is at its highest and a persons reaction with
metal jewellery is at its greatest. Ive had a no of customers over the
years that have had these problems in the summer but never in the
winter. Salty perspiration can be highly corrosive.
Old December 23rd 03, 04:57 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I seem to recall there is some debate about this. As I understand it
(and the issue is perhaps still quite open) in the U.S. .925 can be
interpreted to be 92.5% (within some fractional variance) silver and the
ramainder can be ANY ONE, OR MULTIPLE OF ANY OTHER, METAL (perhaps
'substance' even! though I suspect alloyable metals only if a court got
involved). Again, if it's marked Sterling the above may still be true IN
THE USA. Evidently in the UK Sterling MUST be a bimetallic alloy of
silver and copper in the 92.5 - 7.5 ratio. Maybe Europe too. This may
preclude the low-tarnish alloys with germanium,silicon,etc. from being
marked Sterling in the UK. Not sure about .925 marking over there.

I suspect either surface contamination with mercury or a bogus reading
from the instrument. maybe X-ray fluoresnce could make a better
determination. Perhaps an accurate specific gravity measurement would
help some. Or careful weight before and after some heating(which should
drive off the mercury). Though the latter may destroy the evidence for
refund!

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Marilee J. Layman wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:44:04 GMT, ojunk
(Fishbre396) wrote:

In article , Abrasha
writes:

Could the writer be confusing Mercury and Nickle? Just wondering . . .

Even if they were, sterling, by law in the US, doesn't have nickel in
it.

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)