OT obligatory b***h about cooking

Old November 26th 03, 03:29 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT obligatory b***h about cooking

I love my Thanksgiving dish - roasted root veggies, but I hate making it for
a crowd!

Actually, it is going quite well - I bought peeled garlic and baby potatoes:
those were quick; the onions were huge, so I only had to slice a few and I
did coins for the sweet potatoes.
DS is peeling the carrots, I may get him to peel the parsnips as well! The
first batch is done and second is well under way. I might be done by lunch
time!

(ok now the recipe - any root veggie you wish, cut in to slices or strips.
Parboil carrots, parsnips, turnips and rutabagas for about 10 minutes
(tender crisp). Blanch (dump in ice water) and drain. Toss in good olive oil
and add herbs - I use a Fine Herbs or similar mix. Roast at 400F until
golden brown and everything has started to caramelize. Sprinkle with kosher
salt at the table!!)

----
Here ends my complaining!

I'll get a chance to stitch today!
Cheryl

Old November 26th 03, 07:40 PM
Ellice

On 11/26/03 10:29 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

I love my Thanksgiving dish - roasted root veggies, but I hate making it for
a crowd!

But it's so much fun! This year, I'm not cooking. But, undoubtedly, will
cook belated T-giving next week so that DH can have leftovers, and his
treasured green bean casserole.

Around here, I'm usually doing Chicken Soup and Matzoh Balls - for about 30
for 2 nights. Two huge, huge vats on the stove, and at least 20# of chicken
getting cooked. So, I'm in good shape until Passover ;^) Unless the crazy
SILs decide to come to DC for Xmas - then it's a world of hurt.

Actually, it is going quite well - I bought peeled garlic and baby potatoes:
those were quick; the onions were huge, so I only had to slice a few and I
did coins for the sweet potatoes.
DS is peeling the carrots, I may get him to peel the parsnips as well! The
first batch is done and second is well under way. I might be done by lunch
time!

Excellent way to get him to pitch in. My goalie always helps with such - but
he also feels compelled to throw in an extra, secret ingredient. Be ware. I
actually have a peeler blade for the Cuisinart - it's good for doing
potatoes but.....

(ok now the recipe - any root veggie you wish, cut in to slices or strips.
Parboil carrots, parsnips, turnips and rutabagas for about 10 minutes
(tender crisp). Blanch (dump in ice water) and drain. Toss in good olive oil
and add herbs - I use a Fine Herbs or similar mix. Roast at 400F until
golden brown and everything has started to caramelize. Sprinkle with kosher
salt at the table!!)

Nice. I have a similar recipe - done as herbed potatoes. Donąt skin them
-just quarter them after cleaning. Toss in olive oil, and then a lot, I mean
a lot, of dried herbs (you can use fresh as well) - marjoram, thyme,
parsley, kosher salt (not a lot of this), some rosemary, and some basil
(oregano only if you really like). Enough that they're coated, but not
densely, I roast them in an au gratin dish, or low casserole - about 375F
until they're soft, but crispy.

Thanks for the recipe - DH's mom always made something with turnips, so,
I've been looking for what to do - besides mashed.

Here ends my complaining!

LOL - no complaining here. We bought desserts to take (from the really good
bakery in Arlington). An Apple-Cranberry pie, Linzer Torte, Pumpkin Pie, and
a Cranberry nut loaf - all of which should survive the Jersey Turnpike. Last
year I baked Chocolate Pecan Pie, and regular Pecan Pie, this year my cousin
said "just buy something" . But they really liked the 1000 calorie a slice
pies.

Our only problem is that DH has had flu since Monday night, we saw Doc
today, and he'll probably be better tomorrow - but I'm just starting to
cough. The normal 3-5 day lag between him being sick and me. Oh, well. He
gets amoxycillin - I just tough it out with Co-Tylenol. And the prescription
cough med will come on the trip.

Happy thanksgiving to all,
Ellice

Old November 26th 03, 07:49 PM
JL Amerson

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...ode=0183913358

Some of you may have already received this link. If so, please forgive me.
If not, enjoy. Either way, regardless whether you celebrate tomorrow or not,
take a few moments to remind yourself of all of the things you have to be
grateful for.

Peace to everyone - JoAnn

Old November 26th 03, 08:14 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/26/03 2:40 PM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

On 11/26/03 10:29 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

I love my Thanksgiving dish - roasted root veggies, but I hate making it for
a crowd!

But it's so much fun! This year, I'm not cooking. But, undoubtedly, will
cook belated T-giving next week so that DH can have leftovers, and his
treasured green bean casserole.

The crowd is fun - the cooking is a bit painful - do I have enough, too
much, too little?
The clean up is easy!

[...]

He did the carrots, parsnips and the rutabaga! Wouldn't touch the beets.

[...]

Try doing beets or sweet potatoes that way! HEAVEN!

Thanks for the recipe - DH's mom always made something with turnips, so,
I've been looking for what to do - besides mashed.

Here ends my complaining!

LOL - no complaining here. We bought desserts to take (from the really good
bakery in Arlington). An Apple-Cranberry pie, Linzer Torte, Pumpkin Pie, and
a Cranberry nut loaf - all of which should survive the Jersey Turnpike. Last
year I baked Chocolate Pecan Pie, and regular Pecan Pie, this year my cousin
said "just buy something" . But they really liked the 1000 calorie a slice
pies.

Linzer Torte - sigh! I love that stuff!

Our only problem is that DH has had flu since Monday night, we saw Doc
today, and he'll probably be better tomorrow - but I'm just starting to
cough. The normal 3-5 day lag between him being sick and me. Oh, well. He
gets amoxycillin - I just tough it out with Co-Tylenol. And the prescription
cough med will come on the trip.

Feed DH some of that chicken soup!

Happy thanksgiving to all,
Ellice