Another Framing Question - shallow rabbet

Old November 19th 03, 09:56 PM
Joan Erickson

animaux wrote:

and I came up with using an all (sp?). Make pilot holes, so to speak.

That would be awl, Vic.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old November 19th 03, 11:26 PM
Darla

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:45:07 -0500, Ellice wrote:

Sometimes we'll have a piece
of fabric that the customer wants to show from behind, so that is put over
the foamcore. But, we still pin. Only lace very occassionally.

I have a deep green cotton that just about exactly matches the deep
green silk that's used so extensively in DT's "The Sanctuary" to put
behind "Sanctuary" when I get it framed. And since I asked Faye to
pin instead of lace, the stretching has improved considerably.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old November 20th 03, 06:53 AM
Ellice

On 11/19/03 1:43 PM,"Bertha" posted:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:29:01 -0500, Ellice muttered
something like:

I really miss working in the shop, but...

Another once-framer! They used to give me all the needlework to do,
because I was the only one who actually LIKED mounting them. Back then we
used mount board and short straight pins; I still haven't got lacing
figured out.

Well, the shop owner, who is a friend of mine, and also a needleworker, is
really good at it. But, I do admit, I had to do a lot of stretching.
Although, the really awful pieces we'd end up sharing. We used brass
escutcheon pins - 2 diameters - the really fine ones for linen, 28/32 ct
weaves, and slightly bigger ones for Aida. It's definitely easier to keep
Aida on grain, but more of a pain to pin thru. I don't really like lacing -
I can do it, but don't feel it stays as straight. Of course the fun comes in
mounting, framing, something oval or round - and getting it straight.

I learned a lot, and really miss being in the shop. But, I'm busy working
in the studio at home and now only help out once in a while.

Ellice

Old November 20th 03, 06:55 AM
Ellice

On 11/19/03 6:26 PM,"Darla" posted:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:45:07 -0500, Ellice wrote:

Sometimes we'll have a piece
of fabric that the customer wants to show from behind, so that is put over
the foamcore. But, we still pin. Only lace very occassionally.

I have a deep green cotton that just about exactly matches the deep
green silk that's used so extensively in DT's "The Sanctuary" to put
behind "Sanctuary" when I get it framed. And since I asked Faye to
pin instead of lace, the stretching has improved considerably.

Sounds like it'll be gorgeous when all done and framed. I agree - it seems
to me that pinning does keep the stretching more firmly straight.

ellice

Old November 20th 03, 06:20 PM
Farleyaw

I have a deep green cotton that just about exactly matches the deep
green silk that's used so extensively in DT's "The Sanctuary" to put
behind "Sanctuary" when I get it framed.

OH, I would LOVE to see how that turns out. I just got my Sanctuary framed and
hanging on the wall. Would love to see how yours turns out with the deep green
behind it. LOL - it took about a million pins to pin my piece straight on the
mounting board and then MILES of thread to lace it down..........I don't trust
using pins in this climate plus I know my lacing won't pop, shift or
move..........probably 'cause I use way too many wraps.

Anne
Old November 24th 03, 06:07 AM
Pat Porter

Build up the rebate with an extra strip of wood fitted and glued to it.

Pat P

"BCMcNamara" wrote in message
I have a Christmas piece that I stitched a few years ago and am finally

getting
around to framing. It was a kit and came with a frame. The frame is

shaped
like a house with a pointed roof at the top, 2 parallel walls and a floor.

The
frame is subdivided into 4 rooms and an attic under the roof. My problem

is
that the frame has a very shallow rabbet. I have pinned the stitching to

foam
core but the foam core is thicker than the rabbet so it sticks out beyond

the
back of the frame. (The finishing instructions included with the kit say

tape the stitching to a piece of cardboard and put it in the frame. This

isn't
what I would consider an heirloom piece but I don't want to frame it with
cardboard and masking tape.)

Does anyone have advise on framing something with a very narrow rabbet

like
this? Do I use a backing board and if so what do I use for a backing

board and
how do I attach it? Should I just put a dustcover on the back of it and

hope
that that will hold the foam core in the frame? Help!

TIA
Linda from Erie, PA

Old November 24th 03, 06:16 PM
Bertha

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:05:04 GMT, Debra
muttered something like:

Have you tried using the pins to hold everything in place exactly the
way you want it temporarily, then do the lacing, and finally removing
the pins? That way you wouldn't run the risk of pulling the lacing
way too tightly, or having the front go all wonky while you lace it
up.

Haven't tried that--always seemed kind of silly to lace it once it's
already pinned. Maybe I'll give it a shot with my next one.
Unfortunately it'll be a while since I have to pay off the credit card
before I can get anything framed. Publisher's Clearing House keeps
teasing me...

-Bertha
--
Don't play "stupid" with me--I'm better at it!
Old November 25th 03, 11:53 PM
Joan Erickson

Debra wrote:

Have you tried using the pins to hold everything in place exactly the
way you want it temporarily, then do the lacing, and finally removing
the pins? That way you wouldn't run the risk of pulling the lacing
way too tightly, or having the front go all wonky while you lace it
up.

This is the way I do my lacing. Everything seems to be holding
okay.
FWIW