"Redwork" and Vintage Stitching....

Old July 30th 03, 02:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

My first sting was a honey bee - I was barefoot in clover. Ice did the
trick.

Second was a blue wasp - rather large one. I inadvertantly grabbed him
in a piece of cloth. 20 minutes of rather nasty discomfort, a small red
circle for a few days. That was it.

Then stepped on a bumblebee. Big toe rather sore for 20 minutes.

Few years later, while gardening in fall - hornet got inside my loose
top. I was stripping on my way into the house. He got my back 4 times
before I could get the durned top off.

A little more reaction this time. Nothing serious.

Two summers ago, I sat with my back against a hornet on our porch swing.
I got three stings. They were worse reactions, this time. Quite
swollen. Quite sore for several days.

Now I'm beginning to get a little nervous about being stung again.

I sound so grumpy sometimes. Thanks for understanding my post. It's
just that I get so frustrated with people who call hornets "bees",
because bees are so docile. People are so frightened of them. I try to
educate about them.

I don't blame you for being quite timid.
Dianne

Teri George wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:36:43 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

Teri George wrote:

and we won't even discuss that I'm
allergic to bee stings!

Wasps usually leave you alone, but are more easily provoked than bees.

Hornets are just, well, menopausal with a capital M.

They are not bees. Don't call them bees. Learn the difference. Bees
are necessary. Hornets are expendable. At least where I live. :-) In
spring, when they first awaken, I stand vigilant with wasp spray. In
fall, I stay in the house! They love grocery bags.

LOL!! Would it be better if I said that I'm allergic to many
venomous insects??

I didn't have an allergy until one day when I lived down South and was
bitten by a red ant. After that I developed a sensitivity to other
bites/stings. So far, I've only gotten as far as having a hard time
breathing, but I wouldn't want it to get any worse than that - and I
don't think I'll try out various stings to see which ones I'll react
to.

The last time I was stung (by a wasp or hornet that hadn't been
provoked and didn't stay around to be identified) was back in the 80s,
so maybe the reaction's gone away? (Hopeful thought.)

Teri ~~ Secure online shopping now available
at CraftSoft Publications/Design Encounters Kits
http://www.craftsoft.com
Remove "knot" to email.