BOOK REVIEW: Beading With Right Angle Weave: A Beadwork How-to Book

Old October 24th 04, 04:17 AM
Cheri2Star

Default BOOK REVIEW: Beading With Right Angle Weave: A Beadwork How-to Book

The people at Beadwork magazine have done it again with this
installment in their "How-To" Series on beading stitches.

Kathy,
One of the other bead lists that I'm on said there were quite a few
corrections that Beadwork had to publish. Obviously, this is something that
you would only find as you tried to follow directions. In fact, the girls said
there were so many corrections, you almost didn't have to buy the book!

Let me know if you need the link to the corrections.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)
Old October 24th 04, 04:28 AM
JoAnn Paules

Cheri -

I own several of those books. Would you please send that link to me?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Cheri2Star" wrote in message
The people at Beadwork magazine have done it again with this
installment in their "How-To" Series on beading stitches.

Kathy,
One of the other bead lists that I'm on said there were quite a few
corrections that Beadwork had to publish. Obviously, this is something
that
you would only find as you tried to follow directions. In fact, the girls
said
there were so many corrections, you almost didn't have to buy the book!

Let me know if you need the link to the corrections.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

---

Old October 24th 04, 04:57 AM
Cheri2Star

I own several of those books. Would you please send that link to me?

JoAnn, I was only referring to the RAW book just published, but I'll email you
the link anyway.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)
Old October 24th 04, 02:40 PM
RadioStmpr

I think I would like this link as well, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

Mandy
Old October 24th 04, 03:01 PM
EL

I'd like the link as well, please -- since I bought this book yesterday!

Thanks!

Elise
e_lewis at bellsouth dot net

Old October 24th 04, 04:10 PM
Cheri2Star

well to save you all from having to email me, here is the link for all.

http://www.interweave.com/bead/books/be_Bead_w_RAW.asp

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)
Old October 25th 04, 09:57 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm so glad this one's on my Wish List at amazon.com. This review validated my
quick peek at it in the bookstore. Yay! Thanks, dollface.

Beading With Right Angle Weave: A Beadwork How-to Book
(Beadwork How-to Series)

By Christine Prussing

Interweave Press

The people at Beadwork magazine have done it again with this
installment in their "How-To" Series on beading stitches. This time
out it's Right Angle Weave or RAW, and the author is Chris Prussing,
a master of the art.

Like the books preceding it on Peyote, Brick, and Herringbone
Stitches, this one is a winner. It follows the now familiar format
of starting small and basic, adding variations and levels of
difficulty, and ending with a gallery of eye popping projects to
inspire you to go wild with the stitch.

I have to confess that RAW is one of my favorite stitches, and I use
the one needle method exclusively. Ms. Prussing uses the two needle
method, but to her credit, all projects are shown both ways, so the
beader can do whichever she pleases. Admittedly, some of the two
needle directions look easier and faster than my usual method, but
probably aren't as durable as my single needle/doubled thread pieces,
which are almost Amanda-proof.

To me, the variations are the most exciting part of this book, which
made me look at right angle weave completely differently. In my
mind, RAW was made up of tidy little squares, but Chris shows
variations that you'd never believe were RAW at all! Anf for us
gluttons for punishment, she has a few patterns there at the end to
make three dimensional shapes using the stitch.

One project I've already begun is my version of the piece on the
cover: a necklace she made of carnelian and garnet that I'm making
of malachite and gold filled beads. Same design, but with a
decidedly different mood and level of elegance. I can also see
making the same design with some slightly pink tinted shell beads I
own (as a substitute for endangered angel skin coral), as a stunning
summer piece or item for the stepmom to wear in Florida.

I like this book as well as the others in the series and would
recommend it highly to anyone who either wants to learn this stitch
or already loves it. This one is right up there with my Carol Wilcox
Wells books - must haves for anyone who wants to move beyond
stringing and into beadweaving, for either structural or jewery
purposes.

~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old October 25th 04, 09:58 PM
Dr. Sooz

One of the other bead lists that I'm on said there were quite a few
corrections that Beadwork had to publish. Obviously, this is something that
you would only find as you tried to follow directions. In fact, the girls
said
there were so many corrections, you almost didn't have to buy the book!

Let me know if you need the link to the corrections.

Do post it, would you please dearie?

.......I think I'll wait to buy it til next year or so. (There's no hurry)
~~

Old October 25th 04, 11:48 PM
lgreene

just home from another week as a Glaswegian and my book was in the mail!
Having a sitdown with it now. Can't wait..it's one of the two stitches I
now know.

Lisa

Old October 26th 04, 02:01 AM
Cheri2Star

Let me know if you need the link to the corrections.

Do post it, would you please dearie?

I did, but I'll give it again.