Tank top - in the round or flat?

Old May 30th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Default Tank top - in the round or flat?

My next up project is White Lies' Shapely Tank:
http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patt...overs/fbc.html. I've never
knit a tank before (in fact, I haven't knit any actual adult-sized garment
to completion). I prefer knitting in the round and can convert the pattern
myself. My question is, is that okay or would you recommend against it? I
know some items need the seams to give the garment some structure.

The yarn I'm using, SWTC's "Pure" 100% soysilk
(http://www.soysilk.com/pure.html) seems kinda drapy and loose. I'm not
really sure how to describe it. My swatch grew a LOT when I dunked it. So
maybe I need the seams to keep the garment from getting too melty?

What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
LauraJ

Old May 31st 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Laura J wrote:
My next up project is White Lies' Shapely Tank:
http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patt...overs/fbc.html. I've
never knit a tank before (in fact, I haven't knit any actual adult-sized
garment to completion). I prefer knitting in the round and can convert
the pattern myself. My question is, is that okay or would you recommend
against it? I know some items need the seams to give the garment some
structure.

The yarn I'm using, SWTC's "Pure" 100% soysilk
(http://www.soysilk.com/pure.html) seems kinda drapy and loose. I'm not
really sure how to describe it. My swatch grew a LOT when I dunked it.
So maybe I need the seams to keep the garment from getting too melty?

What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
LauraJ

First, I notice the pattern says it has short row shaping at the bust
and waist. I'm not sure how you would work this when you convert into
knitting in the round - it might be rather complicated for a relatively
new knitter. I'm also not sure about using your chosen yarn for this
particular project. You say it is loose and drapy, so it might "grow"
during wear, which would tend to make the neckline decidedly decollete,
and heaven knows what it would do if you were caught in a rainstorm!

If I were you, I would be inclined to save the soysilk for a cardigan,
shrug, shawl or beach cover-up, any of which could "grow" without
causing major problems. I would knit the tank top as the pattern is
written and use a more stable yarn for it. I don't think I would even
use the recommended yarn, as I find that 100% cotton also tends to
stretch out a lot in wear. Perhaps a cotton plus synthetic fiber blend
would have more stability.

Just my two cents worth.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old May 31st 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

This is a great pattern, I have made a couple of these. It is a quick
knit if you do it in sections, as it does have the short rows. I have
heard of others doing it in the round, but for me the short rows make
that really not worth it.
Just my opinion.
Coggie

Old May 31st 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

My 2 cents: if the yarn grows, save it for a scarf. Knit into a sweater, it
will fall off your shoulders and flow past your wrists and sag about your
hips. Been there, done that.

It sounds like it has a wonderful feel; would it be comfortable around your
neck?

Georgia

Old June 1st 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Thank you for your thoughts, Mary. Is it ironic that I picked (at my LYS'
suggestion) this yarn as an alternative to cotton for those very reasons?
I am still tempted to use it, just because I don't make major yarn
purchases like this very often and it is so very soft. I am thinking I will
knit small and block to size. I am choosing to turn the other way re the
thought of getting caught in a rainstorm since this fabric turns to tissue
in the water!

I have done tons of short rows in the round without issue (all my daughter's
soakers and longies are knit that way). Is there something I am missing
that makes them more complicated than I realize? The only problem I've run
into is that I tend to forget to pick up the second wrap on my way around.

I made and washed a flat swatch last night and I just prefer the fabric in
the one I knit in the round (my knit and purl stitches are drastically
different). I'm thinking I may still do this in the round and if I think it
needs something to pull it together put in fake seams (I know I've read
about that somewhere - perhaps EZ or Yarn Harlot?). I'm going to keep doing
more research though.

I really appreciate your thoughts though, even if I end up ignoring them in
the end. You have the right to say "I told you so" if I don't like how it
turns out

LauraJ

Old June 1st 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Coggie,

Can I ask what yarns you used for it? What is it about the short rows that
is difficult in the round? I think I must be missing something!

Thanks,
LauraJ

ups.com...

Old June 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Hi Georgia,

Thank you for your opinion! As you see from my reply to Mary, I am still
indecisive about this and may just end up throwing caution to the wind. As
it is only my second adult garment (the first remains in a bag in the back
of my closet) I figure I have a couple more mistakes to make

The yarn is very soft and I think it would be really nice to have against
the skin. It would make a lovely scarf next to the neck but, alas, our
winters require wool, wool and more wool!

LauraJ

m...

Old June 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

Thought #1--what the heck, go for it--if worse comes to worst, you can wear
it with a contrasting tank top under it.

Thought #2--If you wear wool, wool, wool in the winter, do you wear wool
scarves indoors too? What do you wear in spring and fall?

Georgia

"Laura J" wrote in message news:r5V7i.351$nj4.131@trndny06...
Hi Georgia,

Thank you for your opinion! As you see from my reply to Mary, I am still
indecisive about this and may just end up throwing caution to the wind.

As
it is only my second adult garment (the first remains in a bag in the back
of my closet) I figure I have a couple more mistakes to make

The yarn is very soft and I think it would be really nice to have against
the skin. It would make a lovely scarf next to the neck but, alas, our
winters require wool, wool and more wool!

LauraJ

m...

Old June 1st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

"Georgia" wrote in message
m...
Thought #1--what the heck, go for it--if worse comes to worst, you can
wear
it with a contrasting tank top under it.

Yes, I am thinking I'm going to have to do this anyway. The ballband says 5
sts/" but it seems a little thinner than that.

Thought #2--If you wear wool, wool, wool in the winter, do you wear wool
scarves indoors too? What do you wear in spring and fall?

No, not really a scarf person. I wish I was but I tend to go very boring
and undecorated!

Laura

Georgia

"Laura J" wrote in message
Hi Georgia,

Thank you for your opinion! As you see from my reply to Mary, I am still
indecisive about this and may just end up throwing caution to the wind.

As
it is only my second adult garment (the first remains in a bag in the
back
of my closet) I figure I have a couple more mistakes to make

The yarn is very soft and I think it would be really nice to have against
the skin. It would make a lovely scarf next to the neck but, alas, our
winters require wool, wool and more wool!

LauraJ

m...

Old June 1st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"Laura J" wrote in message news:22V7i.332$nj4.233@trndny06...
[...]

Laura, I don't think the tank pattern would be any more complex than the
soakers and longies you have done for your daughter. Just use the swatch you
made to determine the number of the stitches and it should be OK to do it in
the round. Since it's a fitted garment, the lack of side seams shouldn't be
a problem. I found the instructions for phony seams in EZ's Knitters'
Almanac if you're interested but I think they are meant to be a design
element more than functional.

--
Jan in MN

Thomas Tank knitting graph Sandra Bodycoat Needlework 0 April 1st 06 02:06 PM
child's crochet tank top Bell Jar Yarn 12 May 19th 05 09:28 PM
flat round peyote stitch? Amber Beads 5 November 6th 04 01:41 PM
flat round peyote graph alia Beads 0 October 22nd 03 06:37 PM
Tank top pattern? Lizzie Yarn 5 October 21st 03 04:22 PM