April FO's

Old May 18th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

Default April FO's

On 17 May 2007 18:42:51 -0700, "
wrote:

BTW, I got some pretty green mohair blend
yarn that I started the Branching out scarf with. I don't know if the
yarn was too fine or if the scarf needs to be blocked for a good look,
but I wasn't too excited with how it was coming out so I frogged it.

Lace looks terrible until it's blocked. I'm knitting a feather and
fan stole in fingering weight and it looks really pitiful. I think
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, The Yarn Harlot, coined the phrase "looking
like a wadded-up Kleenex because it hasn't been blocked yet." Only
knowing that it'll look great after it's blocked is keeping me going.
If I hadn't known that I'd have frogged it about two hundred rows ago
and wound the yarn back into a skein.

You can get some idea of how lace will look after blocking by
spreading it out and pinning it down on a contrasting background. This
won't give you the halo effect that washing does if your yarn is so
inclined, but it will show you the pattern. It'll also show you if
your needles are the right size. I'm not sure there's such a thing as
yarn too fine for lace, considering that some people[1] knit lace with
cobweb weight yarn. There definitely is yarn too fine for the needle
size you're using, though.

I intend to take some before and after photos of several pieces of
lace and post them, with some discussion of blocking effects, in my
blog in the next week or so.

[1] I'm not one of those people. I rarely even knit lace with lace
weight yarn. Fingering weight is about as thin as I usually use. I'm
more inclined to go the other way, having knitted lace in Jumbo Merino
and Cascade Magnum and been very happy with it. Although maybe if I
get those Addi lace needles....
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my new blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old May 19th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Yes, it is a lace weight yarn......I don't remember off hand what
size needles I was using but they weren't tiny ones LOL. I did try
to spread the scarf out to see how it was looking and it didn't look
right to me. The yarn overs were doing something weird, you could see
the eyelet holes on one side but not well on the other side of the
pattern. I have no idea what happened !!?? Eh, like I said, I'll try
it again maybe using a thicker yarn like they show in the picture.
Marie and the cats

On May 18, 10:55 am, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)"
wrote:
On 17 May 2007 18:42:51 -0700, "

Old May 21st 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Hi Marie,

I finally got a chance to look at your work - it is beautiful! Thanks for
sharing! The sweater is gorgeous and I really like that shrug as well. The
afghans are impressive too - I don't have the patience for such a large
piece! Looks like the cats really enjoyed them too

LauraJ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Laura: You can see some of my stuff on Photobucket.com
Bienchat is the password to type in. The shoulders of the sweater got
a little scrunched up in the picture, (dont ask). Now that I think
about it, I don't have a picture of the other sweater I finished on
there. But the striped pullover is the first pic. The Regia Jaquard
socks are in the 2nd pic. BTW, I got some pretty green mohair blend
yarn that I started the Branching out scarf with. I don't know if the
yarn was too fine or if the scarf needs to be blocked for a good look,
but I wasn't too excited with how it was coming out so I frogged it.
I'm going to try it again with a thicker yarn.
Marie and the cats

On May 16, 6:12 am, "Laura J" wrote:
Thanks, Marie! It was a fun project - never thought I'd enjoy lace but I
was wrong! Do we get to see pictures of your work? I'd especially love
see the sweater.

LauraJ

wrote in message

oups.com...

That scarf is gorgeous Laura! Good job!
I finally finished my pullover sweater that I started last year.
Would have finished sooner but got distracted by other projects
LOL. I also made a pair of socks out of the Regia Jaquard - the one
that makes the different shades of blue stripes. Will be perfect to
wear with jeans.
Marie and the cats

On May 2, 12:59 pm, "Laura J" wrote:
I didn't see anyone start an April FO's thread so thought I'd begin.
finally got my pictures semi-organized on flickr so am excited to
share!

FO's:

Branching Out Scarf
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/4...28b401.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/4...d2b015.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4...04f965.jpg?v=0

Toe-up Socks
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/4...046ac3.jpg?v=0

Washcloth and Bib
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4...3856d4.jpg?v=0

March FO's (I never posted and really liked some of these!):

Child's Placket-neck Pullover
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/4...1047f7.jpg?v=0

"Clown" Cargo Longies
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/4...8d4905.jpg?v=0

Katja Tanktop
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/4...8d345f.jpg?v=0
DD looks sooo cute in this! I recommend this pattern for those w/
special little girl in their lives.

And this one was finished a while ago but I think the picture is cute
so
have to share
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/4...9b015c.jpg?v=0

Okay, I hope those links work. Flickr is a whole new world for me.
Thanks
for taking the time to check out my work!

Cheers,
LauraJ- Hide quoted text -

Old May 22nd 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Thanks Laura! Sorry the picture of the bolero came out so dark.
I'm not always so good with a camera. There are some other things
that I made that I need to add the pictures to Photo bucket.
The aran sweater was for a guy friend of mine- that was a big
project. He used to play football and the sweater is a size 52! The
entire sweater is patterned and has cables, it took me a few months to
finish that one. When I finally got it done, I had to wash it good as
it had a lot of specialty fibers embedded in the yarn from all the
animals around here. (And I kept my work basket covered too).
I make a lot of afghans for project Linus. I usually make the
granny square type, that way I don't have to hold a big hot blanket on
my lap during the hot weather. It's also easy to carry around little
bits and bobs in a small project bag for *on the go*. Surprising how
much you can get done in a few spare mintues here and there. I also
carry a sock project around in my purse all the time! LOL!
Marie and the cats

On May 16, 6:12 am, "Laura J" wrote:
Thanks, Marie! It was a fun project - never thought I'd enjoy lace but I
was wrong! Do we get to see pictures of your work? I'd especially love
see the sweater.

LauraJ

groups.com...

Old May 22nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

I remember when you were working on that sweater. LOL at the "specialty
fibers"

LauraJ

oups.com...

On May 16, 6:12 am, "Laura J" wrote:
Thanks, Marie! It was a fun project - never thought I'd enjoy lace
but I
was wrong! Do we get to see pictures of your work? I'd especially
love
see the sweater.

LauraJ

groups.com...

Old May 29th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

Such beautiful work, Laura!

I really enjoyed seeing all the finished projects and especially loved the
scarf and the little tanktop. Where did you find the patterns? I have two
little girls (one and one-and-a-half) who would love to wear the little
tanktops this summer.

Murielle
Who has not projects going ... yet.

"Laura J" wrote in message
I didn't see anyone start an April FO's thread so thought I'd begin. I
finally got my pictures semi-organized on flickr so am excited to share!

FO's:

Branching Out Scarf
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/4...28b401.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/4...d2b015.jpg?v=0
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4...04f965.jpg?v=0

Toe-up Socks
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/4...046ac3.jpg?v=0

Washcloth and Bib
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4...3856d4.jpg?v=0

March FO's (I never posted and really liked some of these!):

Child's Placket-neck Pullover
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/4...1047f7.jpg?v=0

"Clown" Cargo Longies
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/4...8d4905.jpg?v=0

Katja Tanktop
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/4...8d345f.jpg?v=0
DD looks sooo cute in this! I recommend this pattern for those w/ a
special little girl in their lives.

And this one was finished a while ago but I think the picture is cute so I

Old May 29th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Thanks, Murielle! The scarf is Branching Out and the tank top is Katja,
both free patterns from www.knitty.com. Let me know if you need help
finding them (click on the Archive link and search for those names). The
tank top was very simple and DD gets lots of compliments on it. I just
started another one for a friend who is due next month (and lives in
Portugal so they certainly don't need sweaters!). It is a fun, quick knit.
I think it will lend itself well to experimenting with colorwork which I'd
like to try my hand at, if for no other reason than to help use up some of
the oddballs in my stash!

LauraJ

Old May 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

Thank you! I'll be checking that site out right away.

What a great idea for using those tiny little balls of leftovers we all
accumulate. I have been making blankets out of them (a very simple design I
"made up" years ago) and either giving them as gifts or donating them. But
this is a fantastic way to use leftovers, especially the tiny little balls
my packrat mind insists I keep.

Thanks again for the website,
Murielle

Old June 2nd 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

Laura,

Just wanted to tell you that I found them both. I can't wait to start the
little tank tops.

Thanks again,

April FO's Shillelagh Yarn 2 May 6th 06 06:44 AM
My Nov. FO's norabalcer Yarn 0 December 2nd 05 02:49 AM
April FO's Shillelagh Yarn 8 May 2nd 05 02:44 PM
My Jan. FO's NoraBalcer Yarn 17 February 7th 04 06:31 PM
re FO's G.Kelly Yarn 2 January 11th 04 01:31 PM