Repair or replace broken snake chain?

Old January 19th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
drbob

Default Repair or replace broken snake chain?

Hello,

My sister has a vintage 1960s purse my mother gave her. The strap is a
3mm diameter (gold effect) metal snake chain. Recently the chain broke.
Does anyone here know of a good place to source a replacement snake chain?

I've done a couple of google searches and all it came up with was places
to buy much shorter (expensive!) real gold or sterling silver chains.

Alternatively I'd attempt to repair the chain if it is possible. The
only viable way looks to be crimping something over the broken link,
again I've been unable to find anything suitable for this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

--
drbob

Old January 20th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 04:26:22 GMT, drbob
wrote:

Hello,

My sister has a vintage 1960s purse my mother gave her. The strap is a
3mm diameter (gold effect) metal snake chain. Recently the chain broke.
Does anyone here know of a good place to source a replacement snake chain?

I've done a couple of google searches and all it came up with was places
to buy much shorter (expensive!) real gold or sterling silver chains.

Alternatively I'd attempt to repair the chain if it is possible. The
only viable way looks to be crimping something over the broken link,
again I've been unable to find anything suitable for this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Try using "goldtone" or "gold tone" in your googling.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Old gold solder joints David Jewelry 11 October 15th 06 08:45 PM
soldering snake chain slawdog Jewelry 9 October 28th 05 04:49 PM
How can I polish a chain? Mike Dodds Jewelry 20 January 1st 05 09:48 AM
how to repair "plaited chain" ?? brugnospamsia Jewelry 10 September 23rd 04 02:13 AM
removing the gold plating Eddie Jewelry 5 April 14th 04 02:41 AM