pinking shears sharpening? (US)

Old January 24th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default pinking shears sharpening? (US)

One of the best things to get fresh blood out is salt water/saline
solution. The people at the blood bank keep it on hand in a nozzle
bottle for "just in case". G
When I was in an accident, wearing a white top, and got a head
wound........ talk about blood all over something. When I finally got
back to the room, I put the top in the sink with cool water and salt.
All the blood came out.

Pati, in Phx

Village Sharpener wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Village Sharpener wrote:

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of
stabbing fingers. Get used to it!

I did, I will. Just worried what the customers think who come in to
pick up scissors/knives with blood on them

At least you can wipe them! Blood on a wedding dress is a tad more
difficult...

lol ! You just conjured up a wicked image...

btw, what would you use to get blood out of clothing ? Seriously, not
being morbid, but does seltzer really work, or would that mess things up
even more ?

Old January 25th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Depending on the fabric - cold water or spit!

Soaking in cold water will get blood out of most fabrics (I assume you don't
have much costuming in silk taffetas, etc), and I read somewhere that the
enzymes in saliva were the best way to break down the blood. Is that true?

Anyway, a dressmaker told me that it was best to spit on the stain
immediately and then rinse. Now while I could see myself doing this to my
own sewing, I must admit I got a bit weirded-out at the thought of others
spitting on my clothes, so I made a mental note to have everything I had
sewn by others (not much BTW) cleaned before I wore it LOL

Hey experts out there in rctq - is this spitting thing true or is it just
"an old wives tale"?
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Village Sharpener" wrote in message
Kate Dicey wrote:
Village Sharpener wrote:

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of stabbing
fingers. Get used to it!

I did, I will. Just worried what the customers think who come in to pick
up scissors/knives with blood on them

At least you can wipe them! Blood on a wedding dress is a tad more
difficult...

lol ! You just conjured up a wicked image...

btw, what would you use to get blood out of clothing ? Seriously, not
being morbid, but does seltzer really work, or would that mess things up
even more ?

--
J Hughes
"Village Sharpener"

"Business Is Good When Things Are Dull !" (TM)
http://www.VillageSharpener.com

Old January 25th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cheryl in Oz wrote:

Depending on the fabric - cold water or spit!

Soaking in cold water will get blood out of most fabrics (I assume you don't
have much costuming in silk taffetas, etc), and I read somewhere that the
enzymes in saliva were the best way to break down the blood. Is that true?

Anyway, a dressmaker told me that it was best to spit on the stain
immediately and then rinse. Now while I could see myself doing this to my
own sewing, I must admit I got a bit weirded-out at the thought of others
spitting on my clothes, so I made a mental note to have everything I had
sewn by others (not much BTW) cleaned before I wore it LOL

Hey experts out there in rctq - is this spitting thing true or is it just
"an old wives tale"?

Spitting on the bride ? Another weird thing conjured !

For some strange reason, all I can think of is Uma in "Kill Bill" as
"the bride" !

Seems there are a lot of old wives tales. Mine own: "sharpening a pair
of scissors/shears using tinfoil/sandpaper..." and of course, "cutting
paper will ruin your shears" (only if you don't clean the fine dust out
after, fwiw).

Old January 25th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:18:36 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

I've been sewing for over 40 years: you never ever grow out of stabbing
fingers. Get used to it!

But I no longer sew my fingers into the work.
checks hands Perhaps that's because I no longer have
calluses. [Lazy dog!] But I do have a slight rough spot on
the outside of the tip of my left index finger -- wear from
feeling for the point of the needle.

I'm sure that it's been at least a year since I bled while
sewing. [Blood will come out if you get at it fast enough
-- *spit* on the stain, don't wait to walk even ten feet for
water. Spit is a lot easier to wash out than blood.]

Shortly after writing the above -- after writing a long
letter and before saving it -- the carbon-monoxide monitor
beeped twice and my monitor went into "energy-saving mode:
restart with PC". Since the storm was still raging, I left
the computer shut down and went into the kitchen to baste
folds preparatory to making flat-felled seams in cotton
interlock -- and tore a quarter-inch gash in the knuckle of
my left thumb. (Closed up to more like an eighth of an inch
this morning.)

It didn't bleed, but I'm going to have to wash the dishes
again tonight. I'd just finished two nights for tearing
open my palm while opening a jar that had been roughed up
with a V-type jar opener.

(Washing dishes isn't my job, but there's nothing like a
soak in hot, soapy water to draw inflammation out of a small
wound -- or, in this case, prevent it in the first place.)

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old January 25th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Use peroxide - that cheap stuff you put in the medicine cabinet - just pour
some on the blood and it will magically disappear - hint came from a
phlebotomist.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old January 25th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Use peroxide - that cheap stuff you put in the medicine cabinet - just pour
some on the blood and it will magically disappear - hint came from a
phlebotomist.

Huh, talk anout coincidence !

Just got back from the dentist and had a couple spots on pant leg.

Tried the peroxide as suggested. actually diluted just a bit with water
and it worked fine !

Didn't use spit, as... well you can guess where the blood came from anyway.

IMAGINE: Funny picture of Joe trying to get blood out of clothes by
spitting on it, when that's where the blood was coming from in 1st place !

Sorry for the visual

Old January 25th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Rotary blade sharpening

Somewhere back in the thread, the Village Sharpener wrote about possibly
taking up sharpening rotary blades. (Yes, please do)
We've agreed that cutting fleece is hard on blades, and VS mentioned
sharpening shears to a different bevel for use with fleece.

Mental Leap
Could rotary blades be sharpened similarly, for use with fleece?

Liz (Bedford MA)
Old January 25th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Liz MacDonald wrote:

Somewhere back in the thread, the Village Sharpener wrote about possibly
taking up sharpening rotary blades. (Yes, please do)
We've agreed that cutting fleece is hard on blades, and VS mentioned
sharpening shears to a different bevel for use with fleece.

Mental Leap
Could rotary blades be sharpened similarly, for use with fleece?

Liz (Bedford MA)

Hmm, that is a thought. Will confer with my supplier and see what their
experience is.

Old January 25th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

joy beeson wrote:

I [...] tore a quarter-inch gash in the knuckle of
my left thumb. (Closed up to more like an eighth of an inch
this morning.)

It didn't bleed, but I'm going to have to wash the dishes
again tonight.

Joy, I use superglue to close gashes and cuts. It's great for
papercuts. Once the cut has stopped bleeding I put a drop in the cut,
and hold the edges together firmly while it sets. A Steristrip is
great for this, if you have one. It stings like mad for a few seconds
and then it settles down.

I also use it if I get fissures in my fingers caused by dryness from
central heating in winter.

It stops anything getting into the cut and stinging (eg salt, lemon
juice) and holds the edges together nicely while it heals. It just
wears away with the top layer of skin.

I'm sure there's a special surgical one, but I use regular superglue.

Sally

Old January 25th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Sally Holmes wrote:

Joy, I use superglue to close gashes and cuts. It's great for papercuts.
Once the cut has stopped bleeding I put a drop in the cut, and hold the
edges together firmly while it sets. A Steristrip is great for this, if
you have one. It stings like mad for a few seconds and then it settles
down.

I also use it if I get fissures in my fingers caused by dryness from
central heating in winter.

It stops anything getting into the cut and stinging (eg salt, lemon
juice) and holds the edges together nicely while it heals. It just wears
away with the top layer of skin.

I'm sure there's a special surgical one, but I use regular superglue.

Sally

My heels sometimes crack, and my doctor told me to use Superglue on
those, too. It not only works, but makes walking painfree again.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth