Hand care when working with batting

Old January 29th 04, 06:36 PM

Terri,

What lotion do you find that works best for you? I love the Aveeno
Intense Relief Hand Cream. Its not greasy at all, absorbs quickly, and
soaks right in. I would not slather up and then touch batting or fabric-
but its great stuff.

I think exfoliating as mentioned and finding a hand cream that you can
use with fabric and fibers wouldn't hurt either.

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...
I have another question, naturally. Would any of you
care to share your hand care tricks when working with batting?
I have horribly dry hands under the best of circumstances but
when I work with batting, as I did the other night, my hands
are incredibly dry and rough.They look and feel like sand paper
right now.
I already know what lotions work best for
me after the fact, but is there something I can do prior
to working with the batting that will at least lessen the
*oil sucking* tendencies of it, without getting stuff smeared
all over the fabric?
Wishful thinking on my part or is there really some tricks
out there that help?

Terri

Old January 30th 04, 12:46 PM
Queen of Squishies

Default Hand care when working with batting

I use a sugar scrub on my hands every evening when I'm done, and it helps
them recover overnight. If I need something during the day, I use a very
little bit of Mary Kay peach hand lotion. It soaks right in, and doesn't
mess up my fabric. If I get too much, I rub my hands with a Kleenex first,
and that takes care of it for the fabric. For me, the key is that sugar
scrub at night, because it exfoliates all the roughness right off. My hands
are in much better shape this winter than they've ever been. Hope this
helps. : )

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 30th 04, 02:14 PM
Musicmaker

I suppose you could stop washing dishes.

--
Cindy Bettinger

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net

Old January 30th 04, 02:49 PM
Roberta Zollner

For just smoothing the batting, you could put on some thin cotton gloves.
The kind my mother used to wear at night to keep the cold cream from getting
all over the sheets.
Roberta in D

Old January 30th 04, 03:47 PM
DDM

So what all is in a sugar scrub besides sugar, Karen? And can I use it on
my heels?
My hands are probably a better place to put that sugar...my hips have all
they need now.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

nk.net...

Old January 30th 04, 05:26 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Please share with us what this sugar scrub is ~ something you found or
something you made??

Charlotte

Old January 30th 04, 08:06 PM
Pati Cook

I use Udderly Smooth which used to be labeled Udder Cream. It was
originally designed for use on cow udders, but it is wonderful. It will
not stain fabric and smells good too. It soaks right in and feels
great. Some quilt shops carry it, and so do some Osco and other drug
stores. I just discovered that the low end market I go to also carries
it.
There is also a beeswax based product that I just saw at a quilt show a
couple of weeks ago that helps protect your skin from drying out. But I
cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

Pati, in Phx where dry skin is a way of life.

Old January 30th 04, 08:37 PM
Jalynne

I use Eucerin every day for dry skin, and if i let it soak in for about 10 minutes,
it will no longer have an "oily" feeling. It does not stain, has no odor or dyes.
Is one that is recommended by most doctors and dermatologists. It does have some
lanolin by products, but i've had no problems with that, and i'm allergic to lanolin.
(main reason i don't use Bag Balm anymore, though i used to love the stuff). It's a
little on the pricey side, but a little goes a very long way. I use mine twice a
day, and an 8 ounce bottle has lasted over a year.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 30th 04, 10:17 PM
Mary

My oncologist had me use the Udderly Smooth cream on my surgical incision...
I got it at Wal-Mart.

Mary