Advice re Sewing Machine

Old October 7th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CindiA

Default Advice re Sewing Machine

Hello --

I've been lurking awhile, this is my first post. I need to buy an
inexpensive, simple, lightweight sewing machine to carry to quilting
classes. I presently have an old Singer which works okay but weighs a
ton-and-a-half, it's a killer to schlep around. I've seen several
inexpensive machines in the stores which I know will not be the greatest
machines but for this purpose might be fine. Does anyone have any
experience / recommendations? I'm hoping to keep it to under $200... my
other ulterior motive for keeping it cheap is that I'm asking Santa for a
nice new "real" machine so don't want to spend much in the meantime.

Thanks!
Cindi

Old October 7th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:59:40 -0400, CindiA wrote:
I've been lurking awhile, this is my first post. I need to buy an
inexpensive, simple, lightweight sewing machine to carry to quilting
classes. I presently have an old Singer which works okay but weighs a
ton-and-a-half, it's a killer to schlep around. I've seen several

Are you going to quilt on this machine , or just piece? Takes a pretty
solid machine to quilt, but piecing is less of an issue, since the fabrics are
lighter.

At under $200, I'd probably be looking at a basic Janome. They also make
Kenmore. Something like the Jem series or Magnolia series machines, but
they're not going to be happy doing major quilting projects. The Jems are
about 12 lbs, the Magnolias about 18. You won't get the needle up/down
functions that are useful when you want to piece curves or do Y seams, though.

Kay

Old October 7th 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 10/7/2011 5:42 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:59:40 -0400, wrote:
I've been lurking awhile, this is my first post. I need to buy an
inexpensive, simple, lightweight sewing machine to carry to quilting
classes. I presently have an old Singer which works okay but weighs a
ton-and-a-half, it's a killer to schlep around. I've seen several

Are you going to quilt on this machine , or just piece? Takes a pretty
solid machine to quilt, but piecing is less of an issue, since the fabrics are
lighter.

At under $200, I'd probably be looking at a basic Janome. They also make
Kenmore. Something like the Jem series or Magnolia series machines, but
they're not going to be happy doing major quilting projects. The Jems are
about 12 lbs, the Magnolias about 18. You won't get the needle up/down
functions that are useful when you want to piece curves or do Y seams, though.

A good second-hand machine might be a possibility.
Old October 8th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CindiA[_2_]

Kay, I'll be using it mainly to carry to quilting classes. I'm a beginner so
just piecing for now. I do sew in general, used to sew a lot of clothes but
now mostly crafts. So I should be okay with an inexpensive machine, and then
have a good machine for bigger jobs. I was looking at a couple of the
Brother machines, they have fairly good ratings at Consumers Digest and
Consumer Reports. I'll investigate the Janome and Kenmores, as you suggest.
Thanks!

Old October 23rd 11, 01:55 PM
victoriaphillip victoriaphillip is offline
Banned

Location: Russia

I have a Janome and love it. With that said my grandmother has the brother sewing emboridery machine combo and just a plain brother emboridery machine. She is the second owner of the brother emboridery machine and it has held up well. So far she has just had to have maintenance done to it.
Old October 26th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CindiA[_2_]

Just as a follow-up in case anyone is also shopping for a similar machine:
I ended up getting a Brother CE8080. It's working out fine, at least for the
purpose for which I bought it (carting to quilting class). It's not a great
machine but it sews well and is extremely easy to use, and it's very
lightweight. I appreciate all the recommendations, I'll keep them in mind
for when I shop for the "good" machine. Thanks all!

Old October 26th 11, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

CindiA wrote:
Just as a follow-up in case anyone is also shopping for a
similar machine: I ended up getting a Brother CE8080.
It's working out fine, at least for the purpose for which
I bought it (carting to quilting class). It's not a great
machine but it sews well and is extremely easy to use,
and it's very lightweight. I appreciate all the
recommendations, I'll keep them in mind for when I shop
for the "good" machine. Thanks all!

A machine that sells new for $144.97 at Wal-Mart as a
"Limited Edition Project Runway" machine?

Good luck with that. Let us know if it holds tension after
the first week.

Old October 28th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CindiA[_2_]

It's been several weeks and it's holding tension just fine.
And here I thought this was such a welcoming group.

Old October 28th 11, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

"BEI Design" wrote in message ...
CindiA wrote:
Just as a follow-up in case anyone is also shopping for a
similar machine: I ended up getting a Brother CE8080.
It's working out fine, at least for the purpose for which
I bought it (carting to quilting class). It's not a great
machine but it sews well and is extremely easy to use,
and it's very lightweight. I appreciate all the
recommendations, I'll keep them in mind for when I shop
for the "good" machine. Thanks all!

A machine that sells new for $144.97 at Wal-Mart as a "Limited Edition
Project Runway" machine?

Good luck with that. Let us know if it holds tension after the first week.

It is, Beverly sometimes comes across a bit braash,but underneath she's
a pussycat. Just don't cal her Bev. I also suggest you jump over to
alt.sewing. there's more going on there and lots of people posting.
Old October 28th 11, 08:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Juno B wrote:
"BEI Design" wrote CindiA wrote:
I ended up getting a Brother CE8080.
It's working out fine, at least for the purpose for
which ...

A machine that sells new for $144.97 at Wal-Mart as a
"Limited Edition Project Runway" machine?

Good luck with that. Let us know if it holds tension
after the first week.

It is, Beverly sometimes comes across a bit braash,but
underneath she's a pussycat. Just don't cal her Bev. I
also suggest you
jump over to alt.sewing. there's more going on there and
lots of people posting.

I'm just a cynic when it comes to $144.00 "sewing machines"
from Wal-Mart/Costco/Amazon.com, etc.

In the sixties I paid over $700 for my new Singer 401A
(which is still in everyday use).
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
"$700.00 in 1961 had the same buying power as $5,148.50 in
2011."

Put another way, $144.00 in 2011 dollars had the same buying
power as $19.58 in 1961. I question whether anyone in 1961
would have thought a $19.58 sewing machine would have been a
worthwhile investment.

I think a good 50-year-old well-maintained mechanical
machine would be far better then a new 'plastic miracle'
FWIW.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

sewing machine advice Betty Maxey Quilting 5 December 6th 05 03:28 PM
Advice on sewing machine PFJ Quilting 63 December 24th 04 07:20 PM
Advice on sewing machine-CP PFJ Quilting 28 December 20th 04 09:43 PM
Need advice about a sewing machine Jalynne Quilting 38 December 14th 04 06:15 AM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM