LYS - San Francisco?

Old May 25th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Default LYS - San Francisco?

Try http://www.smileysyarns.com/ - it works better. My nephew (who just
finished a 20-foot long, crocheted dragon) buys stuff from Smiley

Big Sky is right on Mt Diablo BL - 3604 - you can not miss it.

I have not been to Fashion Knit at 1538 Newell in WC.

It is not how many yarns a YS carries, it is whether they have one yarn that
I really like. A couple of pounds of the right yarn will keep me busy for
hundreds of hours, and it does not take a very big shop to have 8 or 9 balls
of yarn in stock.

Aaron

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Aaron Lewis wrote:
My Raven whispers - "Maybe 13 miles by the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer."
The highway zig-zags, and the tunnels make it seem even longer.

I see. You are not counting odometer miles on a car. That makes sense.
Mapquest says it's 19.8 miles from right around the BART station to 201
Mission in the Embarcadero.

Big Sky is a scene. Wax your credit cards, and take your knitting. Plan
to spend a few hours there. There is a pizza place next door that is
very good. Again, you will need your credit cards unless your knitting
bag is so stuffed with cash that there is really no room for yarn.

Hmm. Are they on the main drag or on some out-of-the-way back road?

None of which stops me from buying Lion Brand wool and Patons Classic at
Joanne's or Michaels. Last time I was knitting at Big Sky, I was using
Patons Classic that I had bought at deep discount (and removed the yarn
bands). All of the regulars put down their $14/ ball knitting projects
and were OOOing and Aahhing over my little sampler swatch and telling me
how wonderful it was, and asking how I did it.

Well it was Gladys Thompson's stitch patterns knit on # 3 needles. It is
a nice "swatch", but, I bet that there are a dozen knitters in this RCTY
that can do better. So, you can see why I am a bit cynical.

*chuckle* When I was web-hopping, I found a Big Lots! type of yarn store,
or a fabric.com type of yarn store, www.smileyyarns.com, which you might
like to add to your repertoire of web sites as well.

I am not sure where you live, but I think supposedly some yarn store is in
downtown Walnut Creek somewhere, but they don't have a web presence that I
can find. That's practically spitting distance from me, but I haven't
tried to find it yet, because I don't know if it's going to be a hole in
the wall or what.

Thanks.

Old May 25th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
nickie{D}

Aaron Lewis wrote:

Gansey yarns; iriss of Penzance (www.iriss.co.uk), (fast, and they take
credit cards on-line); more colors at
http://www.dickie.co.uk/pure_new_wools.htm,

Better prices at http://www.guernseywool.co.uk/index.html, I have not tried
them yet, but that is where my next order for ---- gansey yarn, is going.
Oh yes, get out your gansey needles and silicon spray.

LOL - I should go to the States and buy imported British wool! NOT! ;-)

Maybe I should ask my USAian friends whether they would like me to bring
them some yarn from here? :-)

nickie
Old May 25th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
t...

Big Sky is a scene. Wax your credit cards, and take your knitting. Plan to
spend a few hours there. There is a pizza place next door that is very
good. Again, you will need your credit cards unless your knitting bag is

so
stuffed with cash that there is really no room for yarn.

Ooooooooooooh, sounds wonderful. For those who would like it, here is the
link to Big Sky
http://www.bigskyyarns.com/index.html They don't seem to list their yarns,
but you can sign up for a newsletter.
I'll bet you'd enjoy Ram Wools up here. (grin) I LOVE their "clearance"
aisle, plus they have 2 big sales a year, where all the regular priced yarn
is at least 20% off.

None of which stops me from buying Lion Brand wool and Patons Classic at
Joanne's or Michaels. Last time I was knitting at Big Sky, I was using
Patons Classic that I had bought at deep discount (and removed the yarn
bands).

I love Patons Class Wool. It's soft, but is also perfect for felting
projects and the regular price is not too bad here. $6.99 Cdn.

Shelagh

Old May 25th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

You could spend a knitting bag full of cash in the pizza shop. Their pizzas
are thin and crisp. Their wines are good. Their salads are good. And, they
do chocolate deserts. Everything is so good that it is very busy, despite
their prices. I mean, it is after all, PIZZA! It is like going out to a
trendy restaurant in SF.

And, of course, Dharma is in San Rafael. I have no idea why I wrote Santa
Rosa.

Aaron

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Aaron Lewis wrote:
My Raven whispers - "Maybe 13 miles by the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer."
The highway zig-zags, and the tunnels make it seem even longer.

Big Sky is a scene. Wax your credit cards, and take your knitting. Plan
to spend a few hours there. There is a pizza place next door that is
very good. Again, you will need your credit cards unless your knitting
bag is so stuffed with cash that there is really no room for yarn.

Isn't the idea to take it stuffed with cash and go home with it full of
yarn...? g

sue