Would it help to rebake?

Old December 7th 03, 06:47 PM
VanderSandra

Default Would it help to rebake?

Hi

Some of my sculptures are painted with acrylics after baking & glazed with
gloss or matte varnish (also acrylics) depending on where it does & doesn't
need to be shiny. Is it a good idea to give them another quick bake after
painting to kind of set in the color? Would alter the shade any or is the whole
idea a waste of time?

I love the Golden Glosses and I appreciate the advise on where to get them a
few weeks ago.

Thanks
Sandra
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...userid=vander_
sandra&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/vander_sandra/
Old December 9th 03, 12:12 PM
dawn

Be very careful when you bake a painted figure. I had done it many times
with no problem until one day I painted the lips of one figure and baked it.
The red lipstick I painted on bled and imbedded it's self into the clay and
turned orange. the whole area around the mouth was orange. It had sunk into
the clay to a degree that light sanding would not remove. I had to cut out
the stain and rebuild the mouth. I don's know if it was the brand of paint,
oven temp or what, but I'd test the color on a piece of scrap clay and see
how it turns out.
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html

Old December 9th 03, 02:34 PM
Sjpolyclay

The red lipstick I painted on bled and imbedded it's self into the clay and
turned orange.

That's happened to me too, just tlike that , Dawn! It was with one of the
acrylic craft paints, I've had better luck staying with liquitex, but its still
chancy, especially with reds.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 10th 03, 03:40 AM
dawn

Why is it we discover these interesting quirks when the project is almost
completed after days of labor and you're fighting an impending deadline?
Yes, my experience was with a craft acrylic paint. I think it also had
something to do with the brand and possibly that this was the first time I
was working with a straight red, no white mixed in. I don't know if adding
another color to it might contain the migrating red. I needed a tranquilizer
after that experience!

Old December 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:40:48 GMT, "dawn" wrote:

Why is it we discover these interesting quirks when the project is almost
completed after days of labor and you're fighting an impending deadline?
Yes, my experience was with a craft acrylic paint. I think it also had
something to do with the brand and possibly that this was the first time I
was working with a straight red, no white mixed in. I don't know if adding
another color to it might contain the migrating red. I needed a tranquilizer
after that experience!

What might help is to coat the area with matte or gloss medium and let it
dry before painting with the red; a sort of barrier layer. I'm also
intrigued by the idea of using the relatively new "clear" gesso for this
purpose as it leaves a very nice "tooth" on the surface.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old December 10th 03, 05:49 PM
Sjpolyclay

What might help is to coat the area with matte or gloss medium and let it
dry before painting with the red; a sort of barrier layer.

Helen, I did that with the Flecto Varathane as a barrier layer and it was fine
with liquitex paints. The cheap red acrylic craft paint not only spread, it
also turned orange-er. I'm thinking its best to use that kind of paint on paper
projects and not PC.