o/t the great washing machine mystery

Old January 26th 05, 09:35 PM
Morag in Oxford

Default o/t the great washing machine mystery

evening ladies,

I have just spent 30 minutes on the kitchen floor wrestling with my washing
machine, draining the water out of it and getting soaked in the process.

This was all caused by a mangled object - most probably one of hubby's work
socks - wrapped all around the filter.

He hasn't noticed a missing sock in *months* and judging by the state of it,
it had been there a while.

So here's the mystery. How do socks escape into the machine and what are
they doing in the time between escaping, and reappearing in the filter?

Morag

Old January 26th 05, 10:07 PM

Morag in Oxford wrote:

So here's the mystery. How do socks escape into the machine and what are
they doing in the time between escaping, and reappearing in the filter?

A physics professor came up with a very interesting theory on the subject:

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/f...singsocks.html
Old January 26th 05, 10:11 PM
Patti

I'm sure that's the question to which the answer is '42' g

..
In article , Morag in Oxford
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 27th 05, 12:26 AM
Shirley Ellen

I don't buy it. I know for a fact where they go. They try to escape. You see
them in gutters alongside the road, right? They can escape from either the
washer or dryer depending on the weather.. if it's already wet outside why
hang around in a hot dryer?

Some get lost forever, some try to make it back home and a very few of the
fortunate ones actually make it back into the washer or dryer by sneaking in
hidden in a load of laundry. And of course they are a lot thinner when they
get home because of all they've been through... trampled on by school kids,
run over by trucks, etc.

Shirley

.

Old January 27th 05, 12:35 AM
\Pussywillow\ Volfie

"Patti" wrote in message
I'm sure that's the question to which the answer is '42' g

And thanks for all the fish.

Giselle

Old January 27th 05, 01:43 AM
Kate Dicey

Morag in Oxford wrote:

evening ladies,

I have just spent 30 minutes on the kitchen floor wrestling with my washing
machine, draining the water out of it and getting soaked in the process.

This was all caused by a mangled object - most probably one of hubby's work
socks - wrapped all around the filter.

He hasn't noticed a missing sock in *months* and judging by the state of it,
it had been there a while.

So here's the mystery. How do socks escape into the machine and what are
they doing in the time between escaping, and reappearing in the filter?

Morag

If you over fill the machine with small stuff, it gets forced round the
edge seal and ends up between the two drums. My outer drum has a nice
big crack in it. Luckily it's at the top, so a sneaky sticking plaster
arrangement of duct tape has fixed that for now... The inner drum
(stainless steel) has a dent in it. We suspect a wodge of sock, chunk
of Lego, or other similar item...

In between vanishing round the seal and clogging the pump, sock tie
themselves in knots round the heating element, and eventually it breaks
down... I know this because there were two socks wrapped round ours
when it went.

Since plastering the hole in the outer drum and replacing the element, I
have cleared several bits of Lego, a £2 coin, several chunks of bark, a
wodge of sweet wrappings, a bra wire, and 3 more socks from the pump.
Small son has been warned that should a bit of Lego or other toy, sweet
wrappers, or other items traceable to him (other than clothing items) be
found to cause terminal breakdown of the machine, he will be paying for
the repairs. He knows I mean it as he has already had to replace a coat
he lost at school.

Try tying socks, bras, and other small items into a net bag. I have one
I regularly forget to use.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 27th 05, 03:28 AM
Polly Esther

I caught my washer in the act one time. The voracious beast was intent on
devouring an entire bath towel. The machine was walking out of the laundry
room and off onto the sun porch when caught.
Defend yourself!
Make a bag (or buy one) for small objects such as socks, bra wires, and
Leggos. When we were truly poor, I made several with zippers from old
clothes and a length of tough, ugly lace curtain. Whatever. No matter. Just
take whatever measures are necessary so you can quilt instead of siphon.
Polly

Old January 27th 05, 09:12 AM
handmaiden

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Morag in Oxford wrote:

So here's the mystery. How do socks escape into the machine and what
are they doing in the time between escaping, and reappearing in the
filter?

A physics professor came up with a very interesting theory on the subject:

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/f...singsocks.html

Considering my DH and I were discussing FTL travel tonight, this was too
much! Heck! FTL was too much!
It's still interesting and funny though.
~handmaiden
FTL = Faster Than Light
Old January 27th 05, 11:13 AM
Paulette

I am seeing a trend here! I went to the back porch and had a "talkin' to:
with my washer. Threatened to wash the horse blankets in it if it even
THOUGHT about misbehaving!!

Grandbaby socks seem to be a delicacy of washers.

Take care,
Paulette

k.net...

Old January 27th 05, 01:38 PM
Morag in Oxford

I have done as suggested and lectured my machine about not chewing up our
clothes, hopefully it'll take notice.
Now I just have to do the same with the toddler, who like washing anything
and everything - lego, soft toys, paper.....

morag

"Paulette" wrote in message
[...]

Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 05 06:57 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:47 PM
FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
FAQs for June Diana Curtis Quilting 14 June 5th 04 10:53 AM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM