Hand sewn or sewing machine?

Old July 14th 03, 01:43 PM
Marijke

"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote in
message ...
depends...quilt in a day....machine. quilt for a lifetime....with
meaning....hand. quilt in a hurry with that hand touch...machine
piece--hand quilt.

I'm sorry to see people are that judgemental. This may be the way you see
*your* quilts, but because someone is a machine quilter (I am not, but that
doesn't matter) doesn't mean they put any less love into their quilt than I
do with my handquilting. I've made a quilt by hand that had NO love in it at
all (I called it an obigation quilt) but, does it make it any better than if
someone had MQed it? I doubt it. I didn't like that quilt from beginning to
end, but it was hand quilted.

Quilt in a hurry if I machine piece? How about, the only way the quilt will
get done if I machine piece?

As non-judgemental as possible,
Marijke

Old July 14th 03, 03:37 PM
jules

What comes easier to you ? I personally do all machine sewing but that is
only because I can't fiddle with needles for long periods of times as my
left and right hand don't always want to co ordinate.

--
Jules
"sbeep" wrote in message
om...
I am a beginner in quilting and I haven't really got to far in making
one, just have my blocks cut out. Before I start putting my blocks
together which is better on making a quilt, hand sewn or a sewing
machine?

Old July 14th 03, 03:38 PM
taria

I would think unless you walk or ride the wagon or horse into
town to get supplies than its sort of machine work too?
Those who think machine work is not acceptable are not familiar
with fine machine work. When people first started buying home
sewing machines (they did without a lot to afford machines) they often
put machine stitching where it could be seen because they were
so proud of the sewing machine. I guess we are looking at the pendulum
swing?
Taria

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Lakaya M. Peeples wrote:

so it depends. if you are making it for love....hand it somewhere. for
utilitarian purposes, ex: keeping very warm, cold winter, and low
budget....machine the thing.

Gosh, we aren't just a little prejudiced against machine work, are we?
*grin*

--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old July 14th 03, 04:02 PM
Donna in Idaho

I've made lots of quilts for family, made by machine, all made with love.
My hands don't allow me to do that much hand work. According to your
criteria - since I made all my quilts by machine they didn't have any love
in them. Not true!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote in
message ...
depends...quilt in a day....machine. quilt for a lifetime....with
meaning....hand. quilt in a hurry with that hand touch...machine
piece--hand quilt. I have done all of these. mostly I like my hand
stitching better...as it is better for me...its my 'de-stressor' and its
small and portable until you do your completion. Current project must be
done in a month from now....machine piecing..hand tying, and a minimal of
quilting is the way I am going to go, cuz its my daughters 'college-going'
gift....something to remind her that when college is done...home awaits.
she is going to school 4 hours away....that's kinda my way of saying don't
go a few states away, but if you do....remember the love this thing took

make. which is why at least some of it has to be done by hand. I also

made
her some hand knit socks in a pattern she didn't even know she was picking
out for herself...she said 'ooooooooo who's lucky enough to get those?' I
said 'what you kidding....I'm not making for you, it will take forever'
(which it did....but that's part of the surprise) and 56 cents. (penny

for
her thoughts, quarters for a call, and all of her mommy's love)

so it depends. if you are making it for love....hand it somewhere. for
utilitarian purposes, ex: keeping very warm, cold winter, and low
budget....machine the thing.

peepla

Old July 14th 03, 04:08 PM
Shelly

I've made quilts both ways and with and without love. Some have actually
been pure HELL to finish just because I just plain didn't like the person
and resented having to do the project. *All of these projects were the ones
that dh volunteered my services for and quoted a very small fee that he'd
overheard me give to a close friend.* I was NOT happy with him or the person
receiving the quilt at all. lol
Shelly

"sbeep" wrote in message
om...
I am a beginner in quilting and I haven't really got to far in making
one, just have my blocks cut out. Before I start putting my blocks
together which is better on making a quilt, hand sewn or a sewing
machine?

---

Old July 14th 03, 04:46 PM
Butterfly

I will NOT quit quilting just cause I can't DO by hand (nope, not even a
button). I'm just very very pleased that I can USE the SM once again : )
Seems like my 'to do for' list is longer NOW than it has ever been ; )
Do have a Pro Quilter that does my quilting--more than ONE way to do a
quilt.

Butterfly (IT's a QUILT and it's finished and that is ALL that
matters ; )

Old July 14th 03, 04:53 PM
taria

Ok, I've been thinking about this. I think any
quilts that don't have any love in them should
be sent to me. (I am trying to learn to beg here)
Taria, not nearly as good as LN at this!

Old July 14th 03, 05:37 PM
Ronnie Wexler

You know how it is these days - time = money and money = love. At
least that's what a lot of folks think these days.

Ronnie

Old July 14th 03, 06:39 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats the point where your DH gets to go back to the person and admit red
faced that dear Wife doesnt work that cheaply after all, that he
misunderstood, and if they still want a quilt it will cost them XXX dollars.
DH wouldnt make same mistake twice, LOL!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 14th 03, 07:25 PM
Diana Curtis

No, no, youre being far to modest here. That was worthy of applause.
Sniff, its so wonderful when they grow up isnt it LN?
Diana, who has no quilts to send..sorry.. I dont do quilts for anything but
love...