Need help identifying sampler

Old December 15th 03, 02:57 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Default Need help identifying sampler

There is a chart I saw a couple of years ago (2-3, and it wasn't
particularly "new" then) and I can't think of the title nor remember the
designer.

It's a sampler, stitched on black fabric, featuring a skyline of Russian
onion-dome buildings...like the Moscow skyline? Colors, IIRC, are
peaches and teals, a "modernistic" interpretation.

does this ring a bell with anyone? Does anyone know who the designer
might have been, or the title? I've exhausted the key word searches on
hoffmandis.com and I'm frustrated!

Sue

Old December 15th 03, 04:26 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
writes:

It's a sampler, stitched on black fabric, featuring a skyline of Russian
onion-dome buildings...like the Moscow skyline? Colors, IIRC, are
peaches and teals, a "modernistic" interpretation.

Bestitched had an alphabet sampler that matches your description. If you need
more information, it's in the bottom box in my guest room, so will be a while
before I get in there and unearth it.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 15th 03, 02:51 PM
Cristilyn Schoenborn

Is this it?
http://www.stitchingbitsandbobs.com/...ghtsSampler600
Old December 15th 03, 05:10 PM
Darla

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:57:53 -0500, Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
wrote:

There is a chart I saw a couple of years ago (2-3, and it wasn't
particularly "new" then) and I can't think of the title nor remember the
designer.

It's a sampler, stitched on black fabric, featuring a skyline of Russian
onion-dome buildings...like the Moscow skyline? Colors, IIRC, are
peaches and teals, a "modernistic" interpretation.

does this ring a bell with anyone? Does anyone know who the designer
might have been, or the title? I've exhausted the key word searches on
hoffmandis.com and I'm frustrated!

Sue

Russian Nights Sampler by Bestitched by Bev. I did mine on an
handdyed fabric that wasn't quite as dark as I would have liked, but I
just tell myself that it's the "White Nights" of the Russian summer,
when it never really does get dark. LOL You can see mine (took a
second in its category at the LA County Fair this year) in my Picture
Trail site (www.picturetrail.com). The user name is Condorita, and
it's in the first cross stitch album there. I made some changes to
mine, adding the missing characters and changing the crosses to the
Orthodox cross (has that little slanted crossbar underneath the main
crossbar; you've probably seen it in the burial scene at the beginning
of "Dr Zhivago"). I'm not the only one who's added the missing
characters, but I think I'm the only one who's extended the piece to
make the added-in characters fit without removing the fiddly bits
between the lines of characters or by squishing the characters closer
together.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old December 15th 03, 07:21 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Darla
writes:

I'm not the only one who's added the missing
characters

Y'know, I hadn't even gotten around to ensuring that the alphabet was all
there. Good thing I'm planning to stitch this one for me, and not for my
ex-roommate the Russian major, or the Foreign Language office, huh?

Actually, I keep toying with the idea of conserving wall space by just doing
the onion domes, and leaving off the alphabet.

Well, I will be stitching instead of watching TV this evening ... when the
gardener came, he pulled at a bush I'd asked him to prune, and discovered that
it had entwined itself in the cable. Oops. Cable company can't send a
repairman till tomorrow. I'm not completely out of touch with the universe; I
do have a small TV that runs off rabbit ears. I know DBF was watching CNN
on-line, so will have to see whether this computer is advanced enough to catch
"Inside Politics" this afternoon.
]

Old December 15th 03, 11:37 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Cristilyn Schoenborn wrote:
Is this it?
http://www.stitchingbitsandbobs.com/...ghtsSampler600

That's it!!

Thank you to all who helped track it down. It's interesting that the
alphabet is incomplete; I'll ask DD (who is studying Russian) about it
and re-chart as needed.

Actually, I am thinking about stitching it as a wedding sampler and I'll
have DD chart the names of the bride and groom in Russian. Hmmm...
(The groom studied Russian and has travelled in Russia).

Sue