How to Charge for Cross Stitch Commission Work???

Old October 6th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default How to Charge for Cross Stitch Commission Work???

After stitching for many years now, am at a point where would like to look into doing commissioned work. But not sure how to locate clients (thinking Etsy??), how much to charge per piece - materials, labor, etc. And how to vary that by the complexity of the work, the type of material sewing on 14 ct, 18 ct, etc, cotton vs. linen, over 1 versus over 2.

If anyone is currently doing commission work, would appreciate any advice on getting started. Also if doing work and selling on your own, where are you selling it and how much are you charging (how do you figure out what to charge??)?
Old October 17th 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:18:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
After stitching for many years now, am at a point where would like to look into doing commissioned work. But not sure how to locate clients (thinking Etsy??), how much to charge per piece - materials, labor, etc. And how to vary that by the complexity of the work, the type of material sewing on 14 ct, 18 ct, etc, cotton vs. linen, over 1 versus over 2.

If anyone is currently doing commission work, would appreciate any advice on getting started. Also if doing work and selling on your own, where are you selling it and how much are you charging (how do you figure out what to charge??)?

Very hard - I've stitched for a shop and for a designer. In the case of the shop, I got shop credit which worked out well. It paid for all of my supplies (silks, overdyes, fabrics). Just don't think you are going to actually earn much. I did a piece for a designer which took me over 700 hours of stitching. I have about '$1200' credit in my 'account' with the designer. I can use it to buy things from the designer's website, or get first dibs on stuff she puts up on her 'stitchers' page. I suspect that I will never use my credit since most of the patterns on her site are not ones I'd stitch. I'm not really complaining, if you want to stitch on commission know that you really are doing it for the love of the stitching not the getting paid.

MargW
Old October 23rd 12, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

My advice is to get at least half the fee upfront. I knew a gal who did a crewel bellpull, never collected a dime, wanted $75 and the client changed her mind and didn't want it. The stitcher was NOT interested in keeping the bellpull, of course. Maybe she donated it for a raffle?
Old September 4th 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Friday, October 5, 2012 at 8:18:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
After stitching for many years now, am at a point where would like to look into doing commissioned work. But not sure how to locate clients (thinking Etsy??), how much to charge per piece - materials, labor, etc. And how to vary that by the complexity of the work, the type of material sewing on 14 ct, 18 ct, etc, cotton vs. linen, over 1 versus over 2.

If anyone is currently doing commission work, would appreciate any advice on getting started. Also if doing work and selling on your own, where are you selling it and how much are you charging (how do you figure out what to charge??)?

Hi is there anyone on here who is doing commission work?? I know it has been several years; this post came up when I googled. Let me know if you are interested in a job I have; it includes all materials and is 2/3 done - the original stitcher passed away and we are trying to get the job done for her family member. Many thanks!
Merrie Beth
Old November 30th 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

I do commission work if your still looking for someone
Old December 3rd 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

I am very interested. Email me