Oh My God - a mothering crisis

Old October 9th 03, 01:08 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Default Oh My God - a mothering crisis

Are you making the dress, Kathy? If you allow extra seam allowance (I allow
an extra 3cm), make the dress out of unbleached calico using the largest
stitch length, make all the necessary seam adjustments and/or body length
adjustments (I have to shorten the body on almost all patterns for myself) ,
then trim seams on the calico model to the correct size (1.5cm for metric,
is it 5/8ths Imperial?). Pull the seams apart and you have a custom made
pattern that will fit DD perfectly. Princess lines are so lovely, they can
be made to fit almost any figure beautifully.

I have a 10yo son who just yesterday gave Brook and I a parenting crises
when he announced that he's going to Cambridge University. In the UK. You
will find us in the poor house in our old age!!

--
Marisa (AU)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old October 9th 03, 02:03 PM
Sjpolyclay

How did she sneak this one up on me? My baby is still supposed to like "My
Little Pony" and all that jazz.

oohhh....ouch!!! Yeah, I felt the same distress as my baby boy towered over me
in his tux a couple of years ago. Don't worry, I'm sure you still have several
goofy years to come. Just because they start to look and feel grown up doesn't
QUITE make it so...

I've made a few crowns and a couple of tiaras for stage use--for the tiaras,
you use wire, milliners wire is wrapped already if you are using it with fabric
or you can go with something that shows and stands on its own with the
stones---a little sterling wire, or just silver toned.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old October 9th 03, 02:05 PM
Karen_AZ

Well, Kathy, she's being *reasonably* practical, at least! G

You'll both do fine. And take heart, I just survived DD's Homecoming dance.
Most of the prep was pretty fun, except for the trying on dresses part. That
was funny in the long run, but not at the time. We walked into her store of
choice (Torrid) and she found every dress that was marginally suitable for
her. My eye landed on one particular dress, displayed high on a wall, and
she of course said "no way" about 10 times. The salesgirl and I finally
convinced her to try it on anyway, and it looked terrific on her. Whaddya
know, Mom was right! (Don't worry, I'm not letting it go to my head. G)

It got better. I have one of those punch cards for the store (well used) so
we got a discount on the dress. I took her to the Body Shop for some good
makeup and the salesgirl there even made her up for demonstration of how to
use everything. And ta-da! She doesn't break out from their stuff. (We both
have godawful sensitive skin.) She found perfect shoes at Payless for $6!!!
She's tall and doesn't like wearing heels because then she sees over the
boys' heads. LOL I had her hair done the day of the dance, and gave her one
of my antique "coal jewelry" necklaces to wear, which went perfectly. About
the only thing goofy with her was her braces....with black and orange bands
for Halloween. rolling eyes

I don't usually post pics of my kiddos, but I will just this once. I can't
believe this is my baby!!!

http://members.cox.net/desertdreamer...omecoming1.jpg

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old October 9th 03, 04:27 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, she's so cute!! What lovely red hair.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 9th 03, 05:50 PM
Karen_AZ

Oh, she's so cute!! What lovely red hair.

Thanks!!!! She's actually a dark blonde, but I let her get a henna rinse for
the dance. My alien baby! LOL

Old October 9th 03, 06:51 PM
Kandice Seeber

Hehehehe - well it looks completely natural. Like me, she has the fair skin
to pull off red hair. I look completely washed out with my normal brown
hair. Her red hair makes her skin glow.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 9th 03, 07:16 PM
Karen_AZ

Hehehehe - well it looks completely natural. Like me, she has the fair
skin
to pull off red hair. I look completely washed out with my normal brown
hair. Her red hair makes her skin glow.

laffin Yeah, she pretty much redefines "pale". I look downright tan next
to her. We go through a LOT of sunblock around here.