OT - Ouch! (kind of long)

Old April 9th 04, 01:42 AM
Louise

Default OT - Ouch! (kind of long)

Seems like we've had a few on the group recently who've suffered some type
of injury or another -- add me to the list! I've never been known for being
particularly graceful (spraining an ankle by jumping up in the air and
landing with my foot on the door stop, spraining another when I tripped over
the painted center line of a busy street, breaking a finger when I tripped
over my own two feet, etc.). Today was yet another example!

This all started yesterday when DH held a prayer breakfast. We asked
everyone to bring a donation to the local food pantry -- we had a pretty
good response, and because I'm on the food pantry board and DH had a pretty
busy schedule, I volunteered to deliver the food when they opened today. I
picked up the first box from the back of the truck, turned and took two
steps toward the front door of the building, and suddenly I saw cans flying
in every direction and felt myself falling -- it was like it was all in slow
motion -- and there was nothing I could do about it. You know how sometimes
you stumble, but you can catch yourself? Not this time! I found myself on my
knees, kind of half sitting and half laying on the cement, with food
scattered all over. A man came to the door and asked if I was okay (he told
me he thought I missed the step, but I don't think I was even near the steps
yet), a lady came running from her car to help me pick up the food, and two
young girls who also were dropping off donations came up and asked if they
could help. I assured them I was fine and thanked them. Then the lady said
to me, "I think you're bleeding." Sure 'nuf, I kind of remember hitting my
lip on one of the cans, and my teeth must have cut my upper lip. So I got
up, checked to make sure my slacks weren't in shreds, and carried the first
box into the building. I grabbed some tissue -- which promptly stuck to my
lip, so then I walked around with white shreds hanging from my mouth! I
couldn't get the bleeding to stop (it wasn't profuse or anything, just
enough to be an irritant), so I carried the rest of the boxes in with a wad
of tissue pressed between my lips -- very attractive, I assure you.
Thankfully, the rest of the boxes were deposited without any further
incident, and I was able to go back to work.

So, here I sit with a swollen lip (although one of my friends was nice
enough to remind me that a lot of people actually pay for botox injections
to get a lip that looks like mine), a scraped up knee, a bruised ego, and a
DH who's treating me really special. I found that Diet Dew kind of stung
when it hit the lip, and the vinegar in the Harvard beets we had for dinner
created a little big of a sensation, but I'm pretty confident that the red
wine I plan for a little later will make it all feel better! And,
thankfully, nothing was hurt or broken that will affect my quilting.

Okay, enough of all that -- time to go fondle some fabric and watch HGTV (at
least until ER comes on).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 9th 04, 02:07 AM
KJ

I'm sorry Louise. If only you could have Dr. Carter come for a house call!
(Yum!) It would be worth the pain and suffering. I'm glad you weren't more
seriously hurt. I'll be thinking of you while watching ER. My favorite
show.

Kathyl

remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old April 9th 04, 02:10 AM
Louise

And I wouldn't mind Dr. Kovach, either!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 9th 04, 03:58 AM
frood

ouch! Have some more red wine, and some soft cheese. Maybe cream of wheat
for breakfast! Now, make sure you have a good story to tell people when they
ask what happened. I mean, tripping over a food donation to a food pantry
sounds kind of lame! Tell 'em it was a fight over some fabric on sale at the
LQS! G

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old April 9th 04, 04:01 AM
Shirley Ellen

Ohhhh... me neither! And of course there's always Dr. Pepper.

I'm glad your okay Louise. We very seldom have ice here and one day in the
winter I went running out of the door... going too fast which is normal for
me. My feet went out from under me and I landed HARD on the concrete steps.
My first thought was that I could have broken my back! Luckily I was okay...
but it took about 6 weeks so get over it.

You take care of yourself.

Shirley

Old April 9th 04, 07:45 AM
Mel Rimmer

In article 1kmdc.222361$_w.2142317@attbi_s53, Louise
writes

So, here I sit with a swollen lip (although one of my friends was nice
enough to remind me that a lot of people actually pay for botox injections
to get a lip that looks like mine)

You just come over here and wipe all the coffee out of my keyboard! That
was mean, to make me laugh with a mouthful of coffee, just when I'd been
feeling all sorry for you and everything.

Just remember, red wine is an anaesthetic and an antiseptic, so I think
it would be just the thing for that sore lip.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old April 9th 04, 10:52 AM
Sharon Harper

{{{hugs}}} and giggles (better you than me right? LOL). Get well soon!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old April 9th 04, 01:18 PM
JG

Louise, I hope you heal soon.
--
Ginger (in Texas) also not named Grace

Old April 9th 04, 02:10 PM
Polly Esther

I am so sorry about your fall and am wondering how you're doing this
morning. Sometimes injuries don't express themselves until the next day and
I am hoping you didn't knock something out of kilter. Polly

Old April 9th 04, 02:22 PM
Louise

They helped bunches! I don't look any better, but I sure feel better!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Jan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Ouch!!! I hope the red wine and fabric therapy help!!!!

--
Jan

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunawayjan

OT Our night out (long) Candace Beads 39 June 24th 04 11:13 PM
OT Long knitted headgear Janine Needlework 5 September 10th 03 11:29 PM
Pat's Pup... was Banned from the Garden!--very long Pat Porter Needlework 1 July 25th 03 10:00 PM