Favorite soup bowl shapes

Old August 23rd 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Favorite soup bowl shapes

I'm about to start making a bunch of soup bowls so that I have them for next
years feed the hungry event. I like my soup bowls with a coffee mug handle
and plain low cylinder shape for stability. But since these aren't for me
I'm curious what others like. Any comments?

Donna

Old August 23rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rob Morley

In article , DKat
says...
I'm about to start making a bunch of soup bowls so that I have them for next
years feed the hungry event. I like my soup bowls with a coffee mug handle
and plain low cylinder shape for stability. But since these aren't for me
I'm curious what others like. Any comments?

I like a well designed rice bowl for just about anything you'd eat or
drink from a bowl. Here are a few:

Nice lines but the base is a bit deep:
http://www.giftcollector.com/Product...0/31601.lg.jpg

Base a bit wide, curve of the sides not quite right:
http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/230413112?$gallery$

Base maybe a little narrow, and too sharply defined, otherwise good:
http://www.essentiallywhite.co.uk/im...00x500pixels/A
rctic_Round_Rice_Bowl.jpg

Pretty, but the sides are a little too vertical at the rim:
http://www.chinacraft.co.uk/images/P...all/966316.jpg

This one's pretty good (but I hate the transfers):
http://www.giftcollector.com/Product...0/44200.lg.jpg

I find that when it's just right a rice bowl is comfortable and secure
to hold in one hand or two, and to use with a spoon or as a cup.

Well, you did ask. :-)
Old August 23rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

On Aug 23, 10:08 am, "DKat" wrote:
I'm about to start making a bunch of soup bowls so that I have them for next
years feed the hungry event. I like my soup bowls with a coffee mug handle
and plain low cylinder shape for stability. But since these aren't for me
I'm curious what others like. Any comments?

Donna

I sometimes make my soup bowls with a flat rim so you can carry the
bowl easily without getting your hands hot from the hot soup.
Sandi

Old August 23rd 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"Red Deer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 10:08 am, "DKat" wrote:
I'm about to start making a bunch of soup bowls so that I have them for
next
years feed the hungry event. I like my soup bowls with a coffee mug
handle
and plain low cylinder shape for stability. But since these aren't for
me
I'm curious what others like. Any comments?

Donna

I sometimes make my soup bowls with a flat rim so you can carry the
bowl easily without getting your hands hot from the hot soup.
Sandi

That is a nice idea - keeps them stackable yet serves the purpose of the
handle. Donna

Old August 23rd 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Thank you. I like those shapes. They are very similar to my tea cups which
I love the feel of for holding. Donna

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , DKat
says...

Old August 24th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Ralph in NH

Make what you love, there will be customers who connect. I have a
spectacular deep, nearly rimless tenmokku/kaki bowl that I picked up at an
Empty Bowls event. My daughter spent a lot of time before choosing an
awful, light-purple commercial bisque thing. She still loves it, it's hers
and it was a special occasion. Just do it :-)
Best regards,
Ralph in NH

oinion soup Slgraber Pottery 7 November 5th 03 12:17 AM
OT - need a soup recipe Carolyn Wagner Needlework 15 October 22nd 03 05:12 PM
What was your favorite bowl?? Pat Porter Needlework 5 August 20th 03 02:21 PM