Seeking Other Doll House Lovers

Old May 24th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

Default Seeking Other Doll House Lovers

I am 35 and the mother of a 10 1/2 year old son. a lover of dolls and
puppets and doll houses all of my life I saved and recently invested an
insane amount of money onm my dream house with furnishings and dolls
and other amazing little accessories. I am so excited but at the same
time I feel so guilty about spending so much on such a childish
indulgence.... I do not have a daughter but believe my son will have
some fun with this set up too and one day I will hand it down to him to
give to his future daughter. I in my mind have justified this whole
venture with the excuse that it will be family heirloom love for
generations but while that is in part truely a wish of mine, I want to
play like a five year old. Just becuase I got older didn't mean I lost
any of my imagination. My husband, my mother in law and my male friend
all think I've wasted my money foolishly (I spent approx. $700 and I'm
not a wealthy woman (It took several months to save this up) total but
my own mother and a good female friend believe that it's worth it if
I'll really enjoy it.... I figure you only live once and I've wanted it
for years. I still feel a bit guilty though. My used car cost as much.

I'd love to hear from others.

Thank you!

I made a fun little website just for my own amusement and to show a
friend in another state who wanted to see photos. Please tell me what
you think.

http://melsdollhouse.tripod.com/

Thank you!

Melody

Old May 25th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

On 24 May 2006 00:36:29 -0700, "Melody" wrote:

I am 35 and the mother of a 10 1/2 year old son. a lover of dolls and
puppets and doll houses all of my life I saved and recently invested an
insane amount of money onm my dream house with furnishings and dolls
and other amazing little accessories. I am so excited but at the same
time I feel so guilty about spending so much on such a childish
indulgence.... I do not have a daughter but believe my son will have
some fun with this set up too and one day I will hand it down to him to
give to his future daughter. I in my mind have justified this whole
venture with the excuse that it will be family heirloom love for
generations but while that is in part truely a wish of mine, I want to
play like a five year old.

I have a six year old puppy with whom I have some very serious
discussions, in return, she teases me relentlessly - wakes me up at
4 AM because she needs to go out, but I have to catch her first

Just because I got older didn't mean I lost
any of my imagination. My husband, my mother in law and my male friend
all think I've wasted my money foolishly (I spent approx. $700 and I'm
not a wealthy woman (It took several months to save this up) total but
my own mother and a good female friend believe that it's worth it if
I'll really enjoy it.... I figure you only live once and I've wanted it
for years. I still feel a bit guilty though. My used car cost as much.

And your used car will still give you pleasure how long in the future?
The pleasure you can get from a hobby is worth it at 10+ times the
price!

40+ years ago, I was given the secret to happiness, namely, "there is
only one person on earth who's opinion can govern my life; and that
person is me."
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old May 25th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

Wow, thank you Gerry! I appreciate that. :-)

Old May 29th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

I am 62 years old. I purchased a dollhouse 5 years ago. It's painted
inside, the window frames are stained, some rooms are tiled, carpeted and
some walls are papered. Ready to be assembled and to be furnished.
Furniture has been collected for the last 10 yrs. Why? When I was 15, we
left Germany to immigrate to Canada. We brought 8 crates of stuff with us.
My dollshouse was left behind for a friend's daughter. I always missed my
dollshouse. I am sure once the dollshouse if finishd, I may lose interest.
But for now I enjoy getting it done. I also enjoy riding my old school BMX
bike, the neighbourhood kids think it's cool. The adults?? But who cares.
I just enjoy being different.

Old May 30th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:21:49 -0500, "Karin"
wrote:

I am 62 years old. I purchased a dollhouse 5 years ago. It's painted
inside, the window frames are stained, some rooms are tiled, carpeted and
some walls are papered. Ready to be assembled and to be furnished.
Furniture has been collected for the last 10 yrs. Why? When I was 15, we
left Germany to immigrate to Canada. We brought 8 crates of stuff with us.
My dollshouse was left behind for a friend's daughter. I always missed my
dollshouse. I am sure once the dollshouse if finishd, I may lose interest.

I doubt that very much, mainly because a dollshouse, like a people
house is never finished.

But for now I enjoy getting it done. I also enjoy riding my old school BMX
bike, the neighbourhood kids think it's cool. The adults?? But who cares.
I just enjoy being different.

You are not 62 years old, you are 62 years YOUNG! Congratulations,
keep up the good life interests for many, many more years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old June 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

Good for you Melody!
I am 33 & refused to allow my parents to give away my childhood
dollhouse, it was built by my Dad for the Sunshine family but I scaled
it down to the 1/12th and refurnished it. I now have 3 dollhouses
including the first one, and they are all works in progress (with a
green house & a place for a wishing well). None of my dollhouses are
from kits & the actual scale is a little off, but close enough for
1/12th scale.They are each a one of a kind creation that were obviously
custom built for some special child who forgot how to play. Our
apartment is tiny so when guests are coming to stay a weekend, I have
to have a months notice just to arrange the "Dollhouse Room". I love
making all things mini and just recently started buying tools for this
(I love my Dremel!) I have been collecting etc for years and I don't
even want to guess what I have paid over the years and I really don't
care. It brings me Joy!! Great web site.
NEVER STOP PLAYING.
ps. funny thing I just got off the phone with my Dad, guess what he
wants to do with his retirement....make miniature furniature for
dollhouses!

Old June 5th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

Right a dollshouse is never finished, not when the cat sneaks in and thinks
one of the residents of the dollshouse is a playmouse. At the same time,
the dog not wanting to be left out of the game, thought the now
ex-resident/playmouse was a squeekytoy and got up a bit too quick and almost
toppled the dollshouse. I put the table/dollshouse against a wall and
covered the whole thing with a tarp.

Old June 5th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.dollhouses

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:46:23 -0500, "Karin" wrote:

Right a dollshouse is never finished, not when the cat sneaks in and thinks
one of the residents of the dollshouse is a playmouse. At the same time,
the dog not wanting to be left out of the game, thought the now
ex-resident/playmouse was a squeekytoy and got up a bit too quick and almost
toppled the dollshouse. I put the table/dollshouse against a wall and
covered the whole thing with a tarp.

I started out by making plexiglass covers for the open back, held on
by keyhole slots over round head screws driven into the edge of the
outer shell. The Kitty discovered the double door front entry - now I
had to come up with a 1:12 scale security system.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

This could be it - fingers crossed! AliceW Quilting 18 July 1st 05 09:02 PM
AUTHENTIC SANTA FE SW STYLE ADOBE MINIATURE DOLL HOUSE - relisted chriskoff Marketplace 0 June 1st 04 01:17 AM
You can find more than 200 different turkish style doll house rug dollhouserug Needlework 0 March 17th 04 10:19 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM
Haunted House Update: OT Tink Beads 50 August 9th 03 04:53 PM