I taught my first class!

Old May 23rd 04, 05:08 PM
Kim E

Default I taught my first class!

I taught my first class yesterday at a guild workshop marathon! I
taught a 2-1/2 hour class on Celtic Applique to 9 students and it was
very successful
Everybody had their projects done except the last step which I
explained individually to each person, demonstrating it on my sample.

Because my class was at 5PM and I wasn't sure what our window space
would be like, I traced the design for everyone ahead of time. I use
my bay window as a lightbox, as it turns out, there was very little
window space in my classroom. This, actually, saved a tremendous
amount of time, so I'm very glad I did it.

Since this was the first time I had ever taught adults in a class
setting, I asked a friend (who is an experienced teacher) to go with
me to help. She was able to help the person who needed a lot of
individual attention while I taught the rest of the class.

The next time I teach this class, I will take TWO large cutting mats
and rulers. We didn't have enough, but everyone shared well.

The major notion for this class (which only half the people brought)
was the 1/4" Steam-a-Seam 2. I'm glad I brought my roll, but next
time, I will bring 2 packages.

It went well. My students all learned a new technique, it was great
fun to see all the lightbulbs going on and expressions of "So, THAT'S
how you do it!", and "This really isn't so hard after all!". When I
asked for suggestions since teaching was new for me, they just said
that I did a good job and, "Teach another one, this was fun!".

After the class, my friend and I went to the LQS and ran into one of
my students buying the last roll of Steam-A-Seam 2.

It was a good day.
Kim
Old May 23rd 04, 05:20 PM
Ann

I'm glad it went well for you and sounds like you were well prepared.
You've obviously taken classes yourself and know that prep time can really
take away from instruction time.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

om...

Old May 23rd 04, 06:32 PM
Patti

Congratulations Kim
Well, that's the first one over. What have you planned for the next
one? g
So glad all went well for you. I did a workshop one very hot evening
last year, and nobody wanted to do anything!! One lady just outright
said so!!! and she didn't g. Your ladies sound a lot more polite!
What fun to see that one of your class was buying the necessary to get
her project finished. Great encouragement for you.
..
In article , Kim E
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 23rd 04, 11:21 PM
Kim E

She didn't need it to finish this project, she needed it to do another!

Kim

Patti wrote in message
What fun to see that one of your class was buying the necessary to get
her project finished. Great encouragement for you.

STORY - Middle School Engineering Class roxan Beads 1 June 10th 04 06:39 AM
electrum Pierdas Jewelry 4 April 25th 04 09:04 PM
What do you use to carry all your stuff to class?? [email protected] Quilting 11 April 10th 04 03:53 PM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM
stopped going to my aplique class Dr. Quilter Quilting 8 July 22nd 03 11:21 PM