seam allowance

Old January 16th 05, 12:36 AM
Raye Ahn

Default seam allowance

I would consider this a "scant 1/4 inch" In other words, a little
under 1/4 inch. But I'd measure the seam allowance, when cutting the
piece out, to be 1/4 inch so that it will fit next to the foot on your
sewing machine. Most, not all, machine feet have a 1/4 inch marking or
"toe" on them.

Old January 16th 05, 01:12 AM
Patty in NWO

Hi Patt, Are you new here, I don't recall seeing your name before, just
wanted to welcome you if you were. There are quite a few Pats, Patty's
Pati's etc...........so you should fit right in.

Patty in NWO

"Patt" wrote in message news:jwiGd.87368$6l.4654@pd7tw2no...
This is a question from a beginner. I want to cut a small pattern to use
for applique on a quilt. The instructions say measure a 3/16 seam
allowance
when cutting the pattern piece out. How do you measure 3/16 of an inch
around the piece? It seems kind of small. Thanks.
Patt

Old January 16th 05, 01:58 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I've never done appliqué before, so I can't answer your question......but
welcome to the group! Sit down soon, with a cup of your favorite beverage,
and answer a few questions:

How many Quilt Inspectors (cats, dogs, gerbils, iguanas) do you have?
What's your favorite kind of chocolate?
Where do you live, and what's the weather like?
Got any good jokes?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old January 16th 05, 02:16 AM
Mystified One

Is this hand appliqué? If so, a scant 1/4 inch would be ok... you just
turn it and then stitch. This also works with the freezer paper method.

You'll find almost all appliqué is technique. If you like the technique,
you can stick with it even with a pattern that uses a different technique.

Here's a site with several methods of appliqué. I don't think most of them
even mention the size of the seam allowance.

http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/begin/applique.htm

Old January 16th 05, 10:10 AM
Roberta Zollner

Eyeball it. I'm assuming this is needleturn appliqué?
What I usually do for this sort of thing is trace a pencil line around the
shape on the right side. This means the pencil line itself will be folded
under. Trim all around to a bit over an eighth inch. Clip curves. Baste in
place. Then use the needle to sweep under a bit at a time as you blind
stitch. A good basic book would explain this better.
Roberta in D

Old January 16th 05, 01:06 PM
Rita

I have instructions for applique on my site. Check out
http://www.ritasquilts.com/projects.htm

--
Rita
http://ritasquilts.com

Old January 16th 05, 07:03 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hello Patt! How nice to welcome yet another "Pat..."
(variation) to the group! We have Pat (me), Pati,
Patti, and now Patt. Since you have such a cool name,
you are exempt from paying the Chocolate Taster Dues
this year.
About that seam allowance. You can eyeball it; does not
have to be exact. Just cut a scant quarter inch. If an
area is a tad fussy, or the allowance seems bulky, you
can just trim it a bit. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA
Official Chocolate taster for RCTQ

Old January 16th 05, 07:06 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hello Patt!
How nice to welcome yet another "Pat... (variation)" to
the group! We have Pat (me), Pati, Patti, Patty, maybe
a few others (?), and now Patt. Since you have such a