OT (somewhat) -- A Good Day

Old August 24th 03, 03:49 AM
The Nielands

Default OT (somewhat) -- A Good Day

DH and I moved into our new house in early June. We issued kind of an open
invitation for our old neighbors to come and visit, but no one ever did. In
our new neighborhood, we've waved at people as they've gone by, but we
haven't really met anyone but the family who lives next door. So, on Tuesday
of this week, we decided we should have an open house and scheduled it for
Saturday (today). Off we went, sending e-mails, making phone calls, and even
passing out flyers throughout the new neighborhood, inviting everyone to
come on over. I figured if we had 25 people we'd be lucky (although I had
snacks for probably about 100 to hear DH tell it!). Was I surprised -- I'll
be we had nearly 75 people stop by in the three-hour period, and we had such
a great time. Considering that about half of them were total strangers, the
afternoon went really great. I think I'm gonna' like living here.

And I learned (to bring this back on topic) that quilting is a great
conversation starter -- even with people who don't quilt. One of our extra
bedrooms was designed to be my quilting/sewing room, and it really drew
attention -- of course, the bright yellow paint scheme may have had
something to do with that, but that's another story! Virtually all of the
women (and a few of the men) either know someone who quilts or have a quilt
story to tell! And once we finished looking at the "yellow room" with a WIP
in a hoop and all the appropriate books and quilting supplies on display, we
went on to the master bedroom, which has an appliquéd rose sampler quilt on
the bed. Now, I'm not one to try to focus attention on myself, but it really
did feel good to have so many people tell me how beautiful it was and how
they wished they had the patience to do something like that, and all those
other wonderful compliments (I'm still blushing). AND, I learned today that
one of my neighbors, who wasn't able to come to the open house, has a
long-arm machine and does beautiful work. Trust me, I'm going to be talking
to her very soon! I've been looking for someone to finish up some of my
UFOs.

So, it's been a good day. Best of all, the clean-up is all done, and I can
spend tomorrow quilting!

G'Night everyone!

Louise in Iowa (who's really tired right now, but feeling good!)

Old August 24th 03, 06:07 AM
Lisa Caryl

How nice to hear that your party turned out so well!
I'm in Central Iowa near Ames, are you anywhere near by?
If you need help locating the quilt shops in various towns, I may be able to
help :-).

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old August 24th 03, 06:58 AM
KittyG

That never would have occurred to me Louise, what a great way to introduce
yourself. And pretty brave, maybe depends on where you live. Sounds like
everything was a success, feel like home yet?

kitty in phx--
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee

Old August 24th 03, 01:17 PM
The Nielands

I'm in Marion, which is in Eastern Iowa (next door to Cedar Rapids, if
you've heard of that).

Louise in Iowa
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
I was so afraid you were going to say that no one showed! I'm so glad you
had a great turn out. Great idea for meeting new neighbors.

Where in Iowa are you?

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old August 24th 03, 01:23 PM
The Nielands

Lisa,

I love Ames! I was there in late June to watch my step-granddaughter play in
a softball tournament. Unfortunately, there was no time to visit the LQS.

Several years ago, DH played in a golf tournament in Ames, and I spent my
time shopping and quilting. At that time, there were two LQSs -- one was on
the main street, but kind of back behind Lucallan's if I remember correctly,
and the other was a block or two to the north. Last summer we were in town
for another softball tournament, and we went to Lucallan's to eat before
going to the tournament. The one near them appeared to be closed, but I
wondered if it had just relocated.

Louise in Iowa

Old August 24th 03, 01:32 PM
The Nielands

Kitty,

We felt pretty safe! Our move was just from one house to another in the same
town, so it wasn't like moving into a new town where we really didn't know
what we were getting into! And yes, it feels like home! That's been the
amazing part -- from the day we moved in, this house has felt more like home
than nearly any other place we've lived (and this is our 8th house in 25
years). Because we built it, we were able to incorporate some of our
favorite elements from our other houses (including one in North Phoenix!),
and it's always felt "right." Now, if I can ever get around to deciding what
I want for curtains or what I want to put on the walls (besides paint), it
may actually start looking more like home, too!

Louise in Iowa

Old August 24th 03, 02:31 PM
Diana Curtis

What a wonderful idea to break the ice. Im so glad you got so much positive
feedback from your new neighbors!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 24th 03, 03:15 PM
Lisa Caryl

Hi Louise,
Well, the bad news is that Fairlight, the quilt shop behind Lucallan's
closed last year. But, the larger quilt shop that was on 5th Street, the
Quilting Connection, has moved to an even larger store on Main Street. It's
on the corner of Main and Kellogg. It is wonderful! Very spacious, and in
the process of gettting even more fabric! Here is a link if you would like
to sign up for the email newsletter: http://www.iaquilts.com/news.php The
central Iowa Fall shop hop will be coming up at the end of September....a
great reason to come this way!

There are so many other fun things to do in Ames as well, there is the
Butterfly Garden at Reiman Gardens just south of the statium
http://www.reimangardens.iastate.edu/ , visiting the Octagon Center for the
Arts http://www.octagonarts.org/ , where they have had AQS quilt shows in
the past. lol...there is more of course!

I'm wondering how far you are from the Waterloo area. There is a great shop
in Traer IA, Iowa Star Quilts http://www.iowastarquilts.com/ It is on their
Main Street, right under an open air spiral iron staircase. Wonderful place.
Cindi, the owner, is great to visit with!

Anyway, I hope that you're enjoying Iowa, even with our heat wave!

Old August 24th 03, 04:11 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Oh--Hooray!
I'd have been there, too; just didn't see the invite in time.
We'd all enjoy some pics, tho', so we could admire your home
and quilts (I'm serious!). Best wishes on your new home and
your new neighborhood and your time there.
We've lived in more "open" neighborhoods, but even now,
the neighbors all wave and say "hi" and "what a beautiful dog!"
(esp. when Stan's with us on his leash), and talk up a storm at
garage sales and lawn cleanings; they just don't go into each
others' homes much. But they're always welcome to come here,
and often do, to see the quilts. g
Ragmop/Sandy--seldom meet a stranger
[...]

Need some good vibes........ JL Paules Beads 6 May 24th 04 12:36 PM
Good Jewelry Night (not sure if this is OT) Marisa2 Beads 5 May 7th 04 04:12 PM
My good news Carol in SLC Beads 44 October 20th 03 11:15 PM
My good news Carol in SLC Beads 0 October 14th 03 02:44 PM
Good News and Bad ( A draining day ) Patti Quilting 7 July 11th 03 12:29 AM