Another UFO bites the dust.

Old January 28th 12, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA[_3_]

Default Another UFO bites the dust.

I started this one in 2006. I bought a couple of yards of the fabric
in the center because it was a map of Upstate NY and the Adirondack
Mountains. I gave a half yard to each of my 2 DDs, DSis, DM and DSIL.
The challenge was that we would all make something special and report
back the next summer. Hah! But I did finish it eventually.

This is the closest I've ever come (or probably ever will come) to an
"art" quilt. There are 13 different "color blocks" and 13 turtles --
really, that's what those blobby things a turtles, to indicate the
Native American story of Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back (http://
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mosmd/turtle.htm)

There is minimal quilting though -- just some in the ditch stabilizing
and spirals on the turtles. The fusible web I used for their little
heads, tails and feet has disintegrated a bit over the years so their
limbs wiggle a little -- a nice serendipitous touch, eh?

(see Flickr -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rose-mo...in/photostream
)
Rose in CA
Old January 29th 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

I think it's elegant. Well done!
(did any of your family do anything with theirs?)
Liz

Old January 29th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA[_3_]

Liz,

As far as I know they did not. But I'm sending the photo to each of
them to try to egg them on a bit ;-)

Rose in CA

Old January 31st 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle1963

What a very unique piece! Isn't it fantastic to have an "original" that
you made yourself?

Michelle in Wichita, KS (formerly of Nevada)