Trying to figure out the origins of the following

Old March 21st 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
[email protected]

Default Trying to figure out the origins of the following

Hello folks:

We are trying to find out the origins of the following

http://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Ear...nknown_origin#

We think it dates back to a great aunt's purchase in mid 1800's,
possibly in France or England.

Comments would be appreciated.

Old March 22nd 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
Donna

On Mar 21, 5:47*pm, "
wrote:
Hello folks:

We are trying to find out the origins of the following

http://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Ear...nknown_origin#

We think it dates back to a great aunt's purchase in mid 1800's,
possibly in France or England.

Comments would be appreciated.

Is it all done in chain stitch which is what I think from your photo.
I have a piece from the Middle East that is all chain stitch - wool
on, I think, canvas. Mine is a simpler repetitive design with a more
limited color palette.

I don't really know anything about antique rugs/tapestries. But there
are lots of books available in the library.

Donna in Virginia
Old March 22nd 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
Olwyn.Mary

Donna wrote:
On Mar 21, 5:47 pm, "
wrote:

Hello folks:

We are trying to find out the origins of the following

http://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Ear...nknown_origin#

We think it dates back to a great aunt's purchase in mid 1800's,
possibly in France or England.

Comments would be appreciated.

I would have to see it in person, and also examine the back, but from
the photo it looks very like the hooked rugs which have been made for
generations in England. My grandmother used to make the most exquisite
ones, all designed by herself, using hessian - burlap in the U.S. - and
wool of about what we would now call worsted weight. She gave them to
her church for fundraisers. I didn't get a single one, dammit. Not
even for a wedding present!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old March 22nd 10, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
MargW

wrote:
Hello folks:

We are trying to find out the origins of the following

http://picasaweb.google.com/Keep.Ear...nknown_origin#

We think it dates back to a great aunt's purchase in mid 1800's,
possibly in France or England.

Comments would be appreciated.

It strikes me as a little bit like a William Morris or Liberty of London
piece. These were available as a piece to be stitched yourself or
prestitched. If your GA visited London, she may well have gone to the
Liberty shop. I believe there is a service where you can send a picture
to Liberty and they will check their archives.

MargW
Old March 22nd 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
pastpresent

Nothing to add to all the good advice already given. Do check the
books.

T.

Old March 23rd 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
[email protected]

Thank you to all who responded.

Old March 25th 10, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,alt.antiques,alt.marketplace.collectables,rec.antiques
mirjam

It looks on the photo like a Tambour Crochet /embroidery work /
This work is done on a loose canvas or even on a loose Juta sack and
the `Chain Embroidery` is hooked on the cnavass , the Thread is held
beneath the canvass , and pulled up with the hook ,,
mirjam

redwork - origins? Yvette Needlework 1 March 12th 04 02:45 AM
Origins Embroidery Software Mignon Quilting 2 January 20th 04 05:47 PM
Underground Railroad Quilts was Help with quilt block name origins Nbhilyard Quilting 4 August 28th 03 05:35 PM
Help with quilt block name origins Meme Greathouse Quilting 4 August 27th 03 12:01 PM
Origins Embroidery Software Warning - Used copies can't be registered!Support Group Formed Chuck Sewing 1 August 26th 03 05:48 PM