Plucking a goose?

Old September 27th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

Default Plucking a goose?

Well, you might be making a goose feather quilt!

Tip from our vet - if plucking a goose or duck - IRON it first! Feathers
will come out much more easily!!!

You might get strange looks from unexpected callers, of course!

Pat

Old September 27th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia Beaulieu

"Pat P" wrote in message
Well, you might be making a goose feather quilt!

Tip from our vet - if plucking a goose or duck - IRON it first! Feathers
will come out much more easily!!!

You might get strange looks from unexpected callers, of course!

Pat

Wouldn't plunging it in hot water be more convenient? BTW did the vet also
suggest killing it first?

Mavia

Old September 27th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message gMuSg.11$N4.8@clgrps12, Mavia Beaulieu
writes

"Pat P" wrote in message
Well, you might be making a goose feather quilt!

Tip from our vet - if plucking a goose or duck - IRON it first! Feathers
will come out much more easily!!!

You might get strange looks from unexpected callers, of course!

Pat

Wouldn't plunging it in hot water be more convenient? BTW did the vet also
suggest killing it first?

Mavia

Have you ever tried pulling a large dripping wet goose out of a boiler?
We have. Many years ago a friend of ours gave us a goose on Boxing Day.
Someone had ordered it from him but failed to collect it. He said it
would be easier to pluck if we dipped it in the clothes boiler.
We duly lit the gas boiler which was in our kitchen, then dumped the
goose in the boiling water for a few seconds. It took the two of us to
lift it out and of course there was water all over the kitchen floor
along with some feathers. What a mess. Dh took it down to the shed and
hung it on a hook. It took us two days to pluck it using pliers for the
wing feathers.

However I cooked it and it was the most beautiful tasting goose we have
ever had. Lip smacking good. Never had one so good since but I do make
sure that if we do they are oven ready. Not keen on having to clean the
mess up in the kitchen, then again we no longer have the boiler. Got rid
of it along with the dolly tub and dolly-legs.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old September 27th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Shirley Shone wrote:
However I cooked it and it was the most beautiful tasting goose we have
ever had. Lip smacking good. Never had one so good since but I do make
sure that if we do they are oven ready. Not keen on having to clean the
mess up in the kitchen, then again we no longer have the boiler. Got rid
of it along with the dolly tub and dolly-legs.

"dolly tub" - I have not heard that term for years. I always thought
"dolly tub" and "posser" were local to my part of Derbyshire.
--
Bruce Fletcher
btinternetDOTcomATricardian
Old September 27th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

wrote in message
Shirley Shone wrote:
However I cooked it and it was the most beautiful tasting goose we have
ever had. Lip smacking good. Never had one so good since but I do make
sure that if we do they are oven ready. Not keen on having to clean the
mess up in the kitchen, then again we no longer have the boiler. Got rid
of it along with the dolly tub and dolly-legs.

"dolly tub" - I have not heard that term for years. I always thought
"dolly tub" and "posser" were local to my part of Derbyshire.
--
Bruce Fletcher
btinternetDOTcomATricardian
Stronsay, Orkney

It`s common at least in most Northern parts of England, Bruce - and I think
it was pretty common all over.

Pat

Old September 27th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message ,
" writes
Shirley Shone wrote:
However I cooked it and it was the most beautiful tasting goose we
have ever had. Lip smacking good. Never had one so good since but I
do make sure that if we do they are oven ready. Not keen on having to
clean the mess up in the kitchen, then again we no longer have the
boiler. Got rid of it along with the dolly tub and dolly-legs.

"dolly tub" - I have not heard that term for years. I always thought
"dolly tub" and "posser" were local to my part of Derbyshire.

Well you did only live a few miles away from me.
The Posser was different from the dolly -legs if I remember rightly.
The dolly- legs looked like a milking stool with a handle that you
plunge in the clothes and sort of turned it at the same time. A twisting
type motion.

The posser was a more solid thing made of wood or upturned copper type
basins. That you just thumped that up and down.
Shirley

Old September 27th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Shirley Shone wrote:
In message ,
" writes
Shirley Shone wrote:
[...]

I remember the hi-tech copper thingie, and remember going to the
stores (sorry, Co-operative Wholesale Society) with my gran to buy one.
Must have been some years before 1959 when I left to join the RAF; but
my gran's Co-op divi number was 469! The milking-stool thing I remember
- a very bleached out thing that my gran (a not insubstantial lady) used
to pound the clothes into submission.
On the subject of geese - when we moved house in the mid 1950s the
people who took over our old council house said how much they enjoyed
the jar of lard we had left behind, apparently it made wonderful chips.
My gran did not have the heart to tell them that it was a jar of old
goose-grease that was used on my chest when I suffered from very bad
asthma attacks...
Old September 28th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia Beaulieu

Default OT: Plucking a goose?

"Pat P" wrote in message
[...]

I was just joshing with Pat. No I never had the pleasure of that
experience. Many years ago DH went goose hunting on PEI with a group
from work. After seeing how gruesome it was he didn't have the heart to
shoot any but was given two anyway as his share. He said they took them
somewhere to be cleaned. They held the bird over a conveyor belt with
fingers to remove the feathers and then they were plunged into hot water
which made it easier to remove the smaller pin feathers. After that they
removed the innards!

It was my job to cook the goose and I thought it was done the same way as
you cook a turkey! I had always heard my friend talking about how much
grease came out of a goose when it cooked. I didn't realize that a wild
goose was completely different from a domesticated one! Considering all the
exercise it gets flying around it was all muscle, no fat and so cooked into
an inedible mass of shoe leather! I have since learned they are quite nice
when cooked properly!

Mavia

Old September 28th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

wrote
[...]

I bought a jar of goosegrease only the other day, from Tesco`s. It says
it`s excellent for doing roast potatoes 0 haven`t tried it yet - maybe this
weekend.

Pat