Tencel knittine and weaving yarns

Old April 29th 05, 10:27 PM
Els van Dam

Default Tencel knittine and weaving yarns

I just received Yarn's Plus new website address, and I though you all
wanted to go and visit it. The colours are great and Tencel is so nice to
work with. For those of you who are not familiar with this fiber. Tencel
is a brand name for a type of Rayon made from Hemlock trees. For Tencel
the chemicals used are recycled so there is little or no chemical polution
going back into the water system. There are several good websites
explaining this all. I have used rayon as well as Tencel rayon for
weaving of scarves and it is a lovely material to work with. Here is the
information I received

I am now going back to the garden and tackle cleaning up the leaves from
the pampas grass, Otto cut off with his chainsaw.

LOL, Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 30th 05, 02:07 AM
Tante Jan

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
I just received Yarn's Plus new website address, and I though you all
wanted to go and visit it. The colours are great and Tencel is so nice to
work with. For those of you who are not familiar with this fiber. Tencel
is a brand name for a type of Rayon made from Hemlock trees. For Tencel
the chemicals used are recycled so there is little or no chemical polution
going back into the water system. There are several good websites
explaining this all. I have used rayon as well as Tencel rayon for
weaving of scarves and it is a lovely material to work with. Here is the
information I received

I am now going back to the garden and tackle cleaning up the leaves from
the pampas grass, Otto cut off with his chainsaw.

LOL, Els

--
hate spam not welcome

Thanks, Els. I wasn't aware of Yarn's Plus. The Web site address was
invisible in your post but I found it at www.yarnsplus.com.

While we are on the subject of rayon fibers, I would like to know if anyone
has seen yarns of Modal fibers. I had not heard of Modal until I saw that
KnitPicks recently came out with a new yarn that is 60% cotton and 40%
Modal. I did a search and found that is a trade marked name for a type of
rayon.

--
Jan in MN

Old April 30th 05, 03:06 AM
JCT

I recently purchased some sock yarn that is part merino and part tencel
- wondering if the tencel will help make it sturdier or if I should
still add a reinforcing thread to toe and heel.

Old April 30th 05, 04:18 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Tante Jan" wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry about cutting the website address off, I missed that. Thanks Jan
for correcting it.

I have heard of Modal, but was not aware that it also was a brand name for
Rayon. There is an lot of choice in yarns today and also in different
fibers. Exciting and sometime difficult, hard to make a choice.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 30th 05, 04:22 AM
Els van Dam

In article .com, "JCT"
wrote:

I recently purchased some sock yarn that is part merino and part tencel
- wondering if the tencel will help make it sturdier or if I should
still add a reinforcing thread to toe and heel.

Now that is interesting Judy, that again is a first for me a blend of
merino and tencel.

Rayon is not very strong when it gets wet, at least that is what we were
taught in school, years ago and I also picked up that same information
when I took my Masters Spinners course at Humber College in Toronto in the
early eighties. I would still add a thin nylon thread for the heel Judy.

Let me know how it knits up.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 30th 05, 02:10 PM
Cher

sounds wonderful Els.....great job.....any pics you wanna send me of it???
What are you going to be weaving or whatever with it?

hugs.....Cher

Old May 3rd 05, 10:29 PM
spampot

Els van Dam wrote:
I just received Yarn's Plus new website address, and I though you all
wanted to go and visit it. The colours are great and Tencel is so nice to
work with. For those of you who are not familiar with this fiber. Tencel
is a brand name for a type of Rayon made from Hemlock trees. For Tencel
the chemicals used are recycled so there is little or no chemical polution
going back into the water system. There are several good websites
explaining this all. I have used rayon as well as Tencel rayon for
weaving of scarves and it is a lovely material to work with. Here is the
information I received

I am now going back to the garden and tackle cleaning up the leaves from
the pampas grass, Otto cut off with his chainsaw.

LOL, Els

That's very interesting, Els, I have been wondering what Tencel is made
of.
Old May 4th 05, 02:59 AM
Els van Dam

In article , spampot
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
I just received Yarn's Plus new website address, and I though you all
wanted to go and visit it. The colours are great and Tencel is so nice to
work with. For those of you who are not familiar with this fiber. Tencel
is a brand name for a type of Rayon made from Hemlock trees. For Tencel
the chemicals used are recycled so there is little or no chemical polution
going back into the water system. There are several good websites
explaining this all. I have used rayon as well as Tencel rayon for
weaving of scarves and it is a lovely material to work with. Here is the
information I received

I am now going back to the garden and tackle cleaning up the leaves from
the pampas grass, Otto cut off with his chainsaw.

LOL, Els

That's very interesting, Els, I have been wondering what Tencel is made
of.

Spampot, here are some websites where you can learn more about Tencel: I
have found it lovely to work with. Did you know that the Rayon yarns were
originally made to imitate silk?

www.newfibers.com/
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/alerts/lyocell.htm

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old May 4th 05, 04:08 PM
Tante Jan

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , spampot
wrote:

Spampot, here are some websites where you can learn more about Tencel: I
have found it lovely to work with. Did you know that the Rayon yarns were
originally made to imitate silk?

www.newfibers.com/
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/alerts/lyocell.htm

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

And I'm old enough to remember "silk stockings" made of rayon before nylon
became available. :-)

--
Jan in MN

Old May 4th 05, 06:15 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Tante Jan" wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , spampot
wrote:

Spampot, here are some websites where you can learn more about Tencel: I
have found it lovely to work with. Did you know that the Rayon yarns were
originally made to imitate silk?

www.newfibers.com/
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/alerts/lyocell.htm

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

And I'm old enough to remember "silk stockings" made of rayon before nylon
became available. :-)

Ahh we oldies Jan.....

Rayon used to be for most people immitation and el cheap-o. However I
would say, Rayon fibers have come into their own. The Tencel brand shows
that. It is a lovely yarn, and very nice to work with. available in many
colours and also as a chenele.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome