"lemon sherbet" stitching?

Old July 8th 04, 11:09 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Default "lemon sherbet" stitching?

What do you all do to "clear the palate" between big projects? Or do you
feel the need to?

sometimes I take a deliberate break after a big stitching to do some
simple ornaments. At the moment I also have a travel project of "Miss
Mary Mack" going - just black silouette stitching so it's straight
counting, no deeper "thinking" required. Going to a musical festival
this weekend, so I hope to get a lot done!

Sue

Old July 8th 04, 11:31 PM
Lucille

I usually crochet something. I like to make little cotton lace doilies and
when I accumulate 8 or 12, mostly different patterns but one color, either
ecru or white, I give them to friends. They look very pretty used as
coasters under wine glasses and are very washable if done in mercerized
crochet thread.

Since they're little they are just enough work to be challenging but don't
take very long and I find them refreshing.

Lucille

Old July 9th 04, 12:02 AM
Karen E.

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:
What do you all do to "clear the palate" between big projects? Or do you
feel the need to?

I've always got some Mill Hill kits around. Sometimes (more often than
not, really) I use them _during_ big projects, just to be able to
complete something.

Karen E.
--
_______________________________________
"What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing he knew nobody

Mark Twain

Old July 9th 04, 12:17 AM
Deana Reynolds

I usually crochet a scarf or some booties, or do a little sewing on my
machine to have the satisfaction of an "instant gratification" project.
-D

Old July 9th 04, 12:23 AM
Jiminy

What do you all do to "clear the palate" between big projects? Or do you
feel the need to?

Something w/ simple shapes and bold colors (right now it's Saguro Forms &
Cactus Flowers). If I don't have anything that fits my need for "lemon
sherbet", I'll crochet or knit or create something
fanciful/whimsical/totally useless on a scrap of fabric or a bit of
needlepoint canvas (they do end up being useful for something tho, typically
ornaments).

Susan

Old July 9th 04, 12:40 AM
Felice Friese

"Karen E." wrote in message
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:
What do you all do to "clear the palate" between big projects? Or do you
feel the need to?

Bookmarks. The basic ones that I bring back from my travels and tuck away in
the "quickie" pile (which will henceforth be known as the lemon sherbet
pile).

Felice

Old July 9th 04, 02:18 AM
clancy

I usually start up a simpler project .. but I find I get bored with it quite
quickly - I guess it's the intensity of the big project that makes you want
to pick up something easier - but then it's the intensity that brings you
back to something else more challenging ... but keeping that simpler one on
the side for times when you don't really want to concentrate is a good
thing.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 9th 04, 04:24 AM
KDLark

I tend to break up my larger projects into sections and do something smaller
inbetween the parts. When I had about a third of my latest big project (the
Yellow House Sampler) I took a break and did a calico cat on a huck towel to
make into a bag for my youngest sister's birthday. I also learned how to knit
socks, which does not bode well for the people in my family, who will now be
over-supplied with hand-knit socks!

Katrina L.
Old July 9th 04, 02:56 PM
Joan Erickson

Jiminy wrote:

What do you all do to "clear the palate" between big projects? Or do you
feel the need to?

Something w/ simple shapes and bold colors

This is usually what I do, too. Right now I'm working on Grandma's
game (by Jeremiah Junction?). Between Fire & Ice (Kustom Krafts) and
Dream lover (Silver Lining), I did a fun Diane Arthurs one--A Wild and
Wack Woman lives here.
Or I go from working on black to something on a light fabric to give my
eyes a rest!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)