fussy cutting question

Old August 11th 03, 09:52 PM
Betty in Wi

Default fussy cutting question

I saw a quilt the other day at our LQS that was made with this fabric. The
middle section of the quilt was a whole panel of this fabric. It had borders
around it. At the top, there was a "border print" border (companion fabric).

Betty

"QUILTKITTY" wrote in message
Hi,
Bought some neat fabric called "warriors and wizards". I want to use

mostly
the large dragons for this quilt, but cutting out the dragon as large 8"
squares cuts off some of the other cute little gremlins that I'd also like

use. Any ideas besides cutting out the dragon itself and appliqueing it

onto
another plain fabric?
Thanks,
Quiltkitty

Old August 11th 03, 10:27 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , QUILTKITTY
writes
Hi,
Bought some neat fabric called "warriors and wizards". I want to use mostly
the large dragons for this quilt, but cutting out the dragon as large 8"
squares cuts off some of the other cute little gremlins that I'd also like to
use. Any ideas besides cutting out the dragon itself and appliqueing it onto
another plain fabric?

1) Buy twice as much fabric as you need. Cut some 8" squares centred on
dragons with dismembered bits of gremlins round the edges, and some
squares centred on gremlins with dismembered bits of dragons.
2) Make the quilt out of wholecloth, or use your fabric as a "cheater
panel", to avoid cutting up the gremlins and dragons at all.
3) Broiderie perse (i.e. cut out the dragon and appliqué it, but it
sounds better if you call it broiderie perse)
4) Cut an 8" window out of a piece of card and centre it on a dragon.
Now, change the orientation of it - can you make the gremlin fit in as
well? How about if you have the square on point?
5) Can you fit them both on if you use a bigger square - 10" or 12"?
--
Mel Rimmer
Old August 11th 03, 10:49 PM
Ann Adamson

This may be the same fabric I used for a quilt for my son.
I fussy cut a few things out of it, but then noticed I cut too close to
a wizard I wanted to use. So I sort of rough-cut around the wizard, put
that down on a muslin foundation, and used a "stitch and flip" technique
to add strips of coordinating fabrics all around it to create sort of a
crazy log cabin block. Then I just trimmed the block with to the size
of the others in the quilt. It came out pretty cute!

If you take a close look at the center wizard block in my son's "Wizards
& Warriors" quilt on my photo page, you can see this example. I might
have a close-up photo of that block somewhere, too, if you'd like me to
e-mail that to you.

Ann
http://photos.yahoo.com/annadamson

Old September 2nd 03, 04:00 PM
nana2b

Hi Ann, Beautiful work. I especially love the tote. Such fun fabrics. I
hope you are feeling well these days.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242