religion in public schools (was harry potter)

Old July 11th 03, 05:36 AM
Dr. Quilter

Default religion in public schools (was harry potter)

i hope my mom will be around for a couple of months to show me the
ropes.. she seems to be quite competent in the subject.... )

CNYstitcher wrote:
Marissa....

The only thing I knew about kids when I had my first was that I was
going to be a better parent then those that I saw yelling at their
children in public, and what i learned from my limited babysitting
experience. You will learn as you go, but don't be afraid to ask for
help (I remember crying that I broke my sone and that my mother needed
to take him back to the hospital when his head flopped over once in teh
first 2 weeks). Also, not sure exactly where you are, but you may want
ot look into something called MOPS (mothers Of PreSchoolers). They have
day and evening groups, and it's pretty much what kept me sane after
having DS and relocating to a new area. Every mother there is or was in
teh saem boat.

Ronnie Wexler wrote:

Marissa, I'm an only child at the tail end of the family, and I never
babysat. When I had my first (at 40), I was lucky I knew which end to
diaper! Most of what I know about kids was from having 'em and reading
and learning at pre-school. In other words, it's ok not to know much
about kids, and if you do teach your 10 year old neighbor to quilt, ask
her to show you what she knows about sewing, etc. She'll help you do
the rest!

Ronnie

In article , Dr. Quilter
wrote:

well, I think then we agree more than not. as you can see, I know
nothing about kids.... DH couldn't believe how I deal with the 10
year old neighbour that wanted me to teach her how to quilt, I have
no clue how to treat kids... ).

Ronnie Wexler wrote:

I completely agree with you, but this is more of an adult viewpoint
than a child's viewpoint. Generally, kids don't have the kind of moral
sense and experience to make these decisions early on.

Agree again - creationism isn't science. It's based entirely on word
of mouth stories passed on for generations and finally codified to some
extent in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Their ancient standing doesn't confer
scientific validity however. That's why I suggested comparing the two
ideas, evolution and creationism - it's pretty clear, to me at least,
that creationism is an interesting window into the kind of magical
thinking that existed before evidence was discovered that put an
entirely different spin on where (wo)man originated. This also,
however, is the product of more "adult" thinking than a child is
usually capable of.

FWIW, I'd prefer my kids to derive their philosophy of how to live from
a moral and ethical context. I don't think religion is necessary for
that, but it is helpful, if only as a jumping off point.

Ronnie

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 12th 03, 08:30 PM
Dr. Quilter

hey, I don't think I'll be upset if anyone is able to quiet the baby
down! )

CNYstitcher wrote:
I hope she stays around too....a more experienced mother is *always* a
great help! I had my mother around for a week or a little longer, and I
think I would have just lost it (even though her only experience with an
infant was me, it was more experience than what I had!!).

One thing I learned...don't get upset if your mother can get the baby to
quiet down when you can't....if you are nervous or stressed, the baby
will pick up on that and be even more fussy..grandmas seem to just be a
calmer influence :-)