Sandy Hook HUG quilt?

Old December 15th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default Sandy Hook HUG quilt?

Sorry, I do not do Facebook, has anyone considered we as a group doing a HUG for the school/community?

No politics, just support.

Ginger in CA
Old December 15th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

I would be willing to make blocks ONLY if there are frequent photos to
update the number of blocks and a photo to document the finished quilt and a
photo to document the quilt being given. I'd rather send blocks to an
NQA-affiliated guild in the Sandy Hook area. I think I'll check out that
possibility.

Why do I want so much documentation? Never did see anything about the HUG
to Gabby Giffords. Only heard (after some much needed harassment) that it
was delivered. There has been no verification.

Kay Ahr in Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Old December 15th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

I am sending an email to the contact person listed for the Goshen Star Quilt
Guild at the National Quilting Association. They are about 42 miles from
Sandy Hook. There may even be churches with quilting groups in the Sandy
Hook/Newtown area.

I'd like to have a place where we could directly send blocks instead of
sending them to someone in RCTQ who might or might not put them together and
actually deliver a quilt. Sorry, I've been burned too many times by this
group. Obviously my trust level is pretty low for something like this.

Although I must say, that when someone in the Carol Doak group ripped off
everybody by just keeping QOV blocks and was never heard from again, I sent
my blocks to Pat in Virginia whose guild made wonderful QOV quilts. I know
because they showed the photos.

Old December 15th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I have to agree with Kay. I think squishies, The Directory and Hugs have become things of the RCTQ past.

Sad. Just plain sad. I miss what we used to have here... and all the quilters who have drifted away (or, even sadder, passed away).

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 16th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

Yesterday afternoon/evening our Project Linus national office asked for
700 quilts for the kids at Sandy Hook School. In less than one hour the
need was filled.

Donna in Idaho

On 12/15/2012 3:57 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
The precious folks at Project Linus are already delivering quilts.
There was a notice about it over on fb this morning; can't find it now.
Polly

Old December 16th 12, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
mary

Awesome!! Those hugs are needed now, not in a month or six weeks.

--
Mary aka Mom aka Grandma

Old December 16th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Quilts Sandy Hook HUG quilt?

Howdy!

I would like to send individual quilts to the school, to comfort, in a
small way, and to show support. I know there are enough quilters around
the country/world who can send a quilt, small, medium, large, lap, crib,
whatever size or pattern or colors, to make a pile big enough to cover
everyone involved. Because I get tired of the waiting and fussing over
HUG quilts. And I'd like for each person, each family, to know that they
are remembered.

Btw, while I've seen a few, very few, individuals in RCTQ not deliver
or delay delivery of HUG quilts, the GROUP has never burned anyone. ;-)
Several times, replacement quilts have been made to Finish a HUG project.
That's what we do. I took over quilting the Columbine HS Memorial quilt
when that person was not able to Finish, pursued her to get a response,
offered (maybe it sounded like a threat g) to go to her home & pick up
the quilt project; funny how quickly she got the HUG delivered to my house.
Anyway, I just want to point out that it's individuals who can make or
spoil the efforts. Which is why I don't BBS, anymore. ... oy!

Best wishes to all,
Ragmop/Sandy

Old December 16th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!
Sounds good to me.
Praise God, and the generous hearts of all the quilters.

I don't need my name on the list of contributors; I'm just pleased to
learn that it was done, that they are covered in quilt love. My extras
can go on to New York and the Hurricane Sandy victims who are related
to people I know (that way I know the quilts get delivered).

Hugs to all of you, RCTQ.
Ragmop/Sandy

Old December 16th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Project Linus Sandy Hook HUG quilt?

Howdy!
Here's the post from FaceBook:

Friday, 12/14/2012
Project Linus FB

My heart hurts. I just finished organizing 700+ blankets to be sent to the
children who attend the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. I put
out the request to our amazing chapter coordinators and it took me less than
55 minutes to reach our goal. What a privilege it is for me to be a part of
such a kind and generous group of selfless volunteers. Our coordinators in
the CT area simply dropped everything to make arrangements for blankets to
be delivered to the children affected. Of course, they did not have enough
blankets to fill the need on their own so we appealed to our coordinators
across the country. Coordinators nationwide immediately responded and in no
time the need was met. What a heartbreaking and senseless tragedy. We do
know that the hug of a blanket can bring a bit of comfort during such a time
and we are so grateful to be able to provide them to these special children.
Wish we didn't have to...but glad we did. Monetary Donations can be made to
help with the cause at www.projectlinus.org http://www.projectlinus.org/

~~~~~~

R/S

Old December 16th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

You all will never know how much I cherish the Hug Quilt made for me
after my DH passed away. I use it for a topper on my bed and have
received many compliments on it. I'm always pointing out to visitors
where the various blocks came from.

Donna in Idaho