OT, from Gillian

Old October 3rd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

Default OT, from Gillian

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 10/3/06 2:00 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
" wrote:
I must confess to being fond of kippers with marmalade (don't ask!)
What on earth posessed you to try THAT combination, Bruce? I AM asking?
like both - but not together!

When in the RAF and on exercise with the army in Northern Europe the
vagaries of the rationing system often produced shortages and surpluses
that gave rise to strange combinations of food. Some were better than
others!
One popular technique was to open all the tins regardless of the
contents, empty them into a pot and heat it thus producing an amazing
variety of nutritious (but not necessarily tasty) stews.

Shudder!

Though, in Cambridgeshire, I was introduced to buttered white toast with
sharp cheddar and orange marmalade. It is good!
Cheryl

Kippers with marmalade don't entice me at all, but buttered toast with
cheddar and orange marmalade sounds wonderful.

I love both the cheddar and the marmalade, but I've never thought of them
together. Now all I need to do is pick up a good loaf
of white bread and I'm definitely going to try it.

Lucille

Old October 3rd 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/3/06 2:00 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
" wrote:
I must confess to being fond of kippers with marmalade (don't ask!)
What on earth posessed you to try THAT combination, Bruce? I AM asking? I
like both - but not together!

When in the RAF and on exercise with the army in Northern Europe the
vagaries of the rationing system often produced shortages and surpluses
that gave rise to strange combinations of food. Some were better than
others!
One popular technique was to open all the tins regardless of the
contents, empty them into a pot and heat it thus producing an amazing
variety of nutritious (but not necessarily tasty) stews.

Shudder!

Though, in Cambridgeshire, I was introduced to buttered white toast with
sharp cheddar and orange marmalade. It is good!
Cheryl

One tasty Yorkshire tradition (and maybe elsewhere in the more civilised
bits of Britain) is to serve a slice of Christmas cake or any rich fruit
cake with an accompanying hunk of Wensleydale cheese.
My grandmother's favourite was two slices of buttered bread with a
filling comprising a slice of rich fruit cake - an acquired taste!
--
Bruce Fletcher
btinternetDOTcomATricardian
Old October 3rd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/3/06 2:41 PM, in article
, "Lucille"

,
" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

Use butter, not a "spread". The taste is all wrong! My first thought was
YUCK, but I learned better. I guess the Swedes that stayed in the B&B we
stayed in introduced DH and others to this treat at the breakfast table.
They had moved on, but the sharp cheddar stayed on the table.
Cheryl

Old October 3rd 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/3/06 2:59 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/3/06 2:00 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

I have heartburn just thinking about it! I've had some really good
fruitcakes and more really bad ones.

I have favorite snack, a few almonds, some really good sharp cheese and a
few small squares of dark chocolate. Maybe some dried apricots in the mix or
dried sour cherries. All told, maybe a little more than a 1/3 cup in volume,
but so good. The mix of flavors and textures really makes it seem like I
have more than I do.
Cheryl

Old October 3rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I have favorite snack, a few almonds, some really good sharp cheese and a
few small squares of dark chocolate. Maybe some dried apricots in the mix or
dried sour cherries. All told, maybe a little more than a 1/3 cup in volume,
but so good. The mix of flavors and textures really makes it seem like I
have more than I do.

Really good, sharp cheese is becoming increasingly difficult to find.
Most cheese seems to be of the "processed" variety which looks like and
often tastes like putty. Fortunately there is a good deli in Kirkwall
that has a good selection of "real cheese".
Old October 3rd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
There are lots of cheddars here that are quite sharp if that is your taste.
Some quite wimpy ones too.
Another cheese I like is an aged or farmers Gouda. A nice bite and creamy
texture.
I really love "blue" cheeses, but nothing compares to the blue Stilton's I
had in England. They just don't travel well.

Ah yes, a nice chunk of Stilton with a glass of good port - bliss!
Old October 3rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

I have a friend who suggests that the best sweet snack in the world is a
grilled Hershey bar sandwich.

She takes two pieces of white bread, butters each on one side, breaks up the
chocolate bar and puts it between the slices with the butter on the outside,
then grills it like a grilled cheese sandwich.
--
Jere

Old October 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Okay , with you on odd combinations - when overly hungry ( hesitate to
say starving) whilst in the WRAF have eaten many odd combinations of
'compo' but being WRAF rather than RAF , at least tried to keep it semi
- edible , and before you ask - Bruce , I did my 'survival' course as
an NCO medic and can skin rabbits and bivvy and get water in desert
conditions with the best of them !!!! (Also did full firearms drill not
just 'defending patient with service firearm)
Jan